What's new

What's your favorite Russian blade?

Although I like many of the Russian blades (both Gillette/PPI and Mostochlegmash), I like Gillette PermaSharp Super and Nacet blades for their extreme sharpness. However, they are not smooth enough for very aggressive razors.

Although not quite as sharp Astra Superior Stainless are nearly as sharp and are smoother. Thus, it would be my favorite Russian blade in most razors.

My favorite Mostochlegmash blade is Rapira Platinum Lux. It is both sharp and smooth.

Personally, I find other Russian blades such as 7 O'Clock Super Stainless Russian Green, Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilver Iridium, 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow, and Voskhod to be very good, but not as sharp as I would like. I can see why they would be favorites of those whose beards are less coarse than mine.

Although I can use Astra Superior Platinum and Gillette Rubie blades, neither is sharp enough to give a great shave with my beard. I know many folks love ASP, but I have tried various sources of the blades and have never found one that works well for me.

Although some Russian blades are excellent, I also like some other blades just as well, if not better: BIC Chrome Platinum Greece, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Indian Black, Personna Platinum Israeli Reds, Dorco Prime Platinum VietNam, SuperMax Blue Diamond India, Wilkinson Sword from Germany, and the new Shark Platinum from Egypt. Thus, Russia is not the only country in which great razor blades are made and Gillette is not the only company that knows how to make great blades.

New Shark Platinum? When I first got into DE razors, I bought a 100-pack of Sharks. Hated them. This was about 4 or 5 years ago. Have they improved since?

I absolutely hate Shark Super Chrome and I have read that the Super Stainless are no better. I rank them along with Derby Extra and Merkur as blades too dull to shave with (at least for my beard). The Shark Platinums are new on the market and I find them quite good. I do not know if they differ from the Lord Platinums; they could well be the same blade in a different wrapper.

Ladas! I don't even know how it is possible to not get the slightest irritation or a single weeper. The only downside is that I have to work a little extra for that BBS, although the DFS is achieved fast.

Tough question. Rubies, Polsilver, GSBs, Perma-Sharp, and my sleeper pick... 7 O'clock green. (Yellows ain't shabby, either.) I'm sure I'm forgetting one.

Gillette Rubies and Platinums. The other PPI blades are not slouches in performance. However there are non Russian blades like Feathers, Personna med preps, Lord platinums, Derby Platinums, Dorco STP-301s, & Gillette blacks that also perform well.

According to the guy with the Gillette connection who used to post here the GSB is the same blade, just renamed.

I have both GSB and Gillette Platinum. I have compared them side by side in identical razors during the same shave and cannot tell any difference between them. Thus, I believe they are the same blade in a different wrapper.

I have both GSB and Gillette Platinum. I have compared them side by side in identical razors during the same shave and cannot tell any difference between them. Thus, I believe they are the same blade in a different wrapper.

Not Gillette Platinum, but the discontinued Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum in the blue box from Russia.

Currently my favorite is a Gillette Silver Blue, but I've not found a bad one yet. Wasn't blown away by Nacets, but then I prefer platinum coated blades for a reason.

Sadly I'm sure I'll find another fav next time I try one....

Top Bottom