What's new

What's Your Favorite English (Sheffield) Razor?

I've never used a Sheffield razor. I've never had much interest in them because my other razors are more than sufficient. Nonetheless, if I were to try just one, which would you recommend? Thanks.

I have three Wostenholms, an Elliot and a Wilkinson, and all take great edges and give wonderful shaves. I'm partial to the Elliot silver steel, but honestly it might just be because of the cool owl etchings and the lovely shape. The steel is not as hard as the French razors I have or some of the German blades, but has a lovely silky feel to it. They are abundant and reasonable in price, well worth trying.

I've found a few Joseph Allen & Sons razors out there for not a great deal of money (last one I found cost me £7) and they're nice shavers. The scales on the two I own are triple pinned so they feel really robust and the blades take an edge quickly. If I find the price on these goes through the roof after this recommendation though I won't be happy :laugh:

I have Wade&Butcher, Wostenholm Pipe, T. R. Cadmann, George Butler, Joseph Rodgers...and every is fine. The Sheffield razors better to me, than Solingen, because my opinion is much more varied look the Sheffield razors.

I'd recommend a later Sheffield in the likes of a 3/4 to full hollow. Mappin & Webb is probably one of my favorites, but I'm convinced any of the ones from gentlemen's or 7-day sets scaled in ivory tend to be a little better than your run of the mill sheffield.

Out of all I have tried I liked the Wostenholm Pipe razor the very best. It was a dream to shave with.

I have a W&B 5/8, 1/4 hollow, which shaves quite nicely.
Used it today as a matter of fact. I've had other Sheffield razors, but ended up selling them. I'm more partial to Solingen or French razors for some reason.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I REALLY like my Joseph Rodgers wedge...but I prefer heavier grinds nowadays.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I've owned several and one of my very favorites was a huge Hunter & Sons Wedge that was traded to a very special member. I cherish my Great Great Grandfather's ivory scaled Wade & Butcher which I was given 2 Christmas ago via my mother. Mappin & Webb, Greaves, John Barber, John Weiss, all produced superb blades.

I really like most Sheffield's. Greaves would be my favorites but I have an old James Crookes stub-tail that I've been using a lot lately. Running a close second.

Top Bottom