What's new

What's your favorite aftershave lotion? Not a splash but something that goes on like lotion.

I like Stirling's balms because they are ultra-thick. More like a PASTE. I don't like balms that are thin and runny. I tried, for instance, one of the "Skin Food" scents from Trumper's and threw it away after awhile as it was so GLOPPY.

If anyone wants a really thick balm try Stirling if you haven't already.

Nivea works really well for me and it's also relatively inexpensive and it's available pretty much anywhere. However, I think the quality changed/dropped when they change their bottles. Whatever if the quality is the same or not is arguable, but the scent at least it's not and it makes me wonder if they really changed the quality as well.

Heres the old one in the first picture and the new one in the second.

res_fda9965ccc83c2fe725e3d4c7b839e5e.jpg
nivea-for-men-sensitive-cool-aftarsejv-balsam-image_5eb816f8c50dc_800x800.jpeg

I think lotion is what they call a/s splash in the UK. This one sounds good!
I knew I read about the difference before somewhere. Dug it up, translated and summarized.

Aftershave splash contains a huge amount of alcohol which is meant to disinfect and close the pores. These usually have less or no beneficial ingrediënts compared to the other two. First aftershave Splash like this that comes to mind is Clubman Pinaud.

Lotion should contain less or even no alcohol and focus more on hydrating ingrediënts (mineral oils, aloë, witchhazel,...) to make sure skin doesn't dry out.

Balms are obviously creamy, less scented and most focussed on hydradation and soothing the skin.

My favorite aftershave lotion currently is a small amount of extra virgin olive oil.

What's that, you say? You want scent? OK. After applying the olive oil to the face, put 2 drops of your favorite cologne in your hand, rub hands together, and pat on your oiled face.

Either way works fine for me, with cologne or without cologne, and the price certainly is right.

I've been using Zingari aftershave balm. Not the splash. I like it. It is soothing and moisturizing without a slap in the face.

Three..... first, Pacific Shave caffeinated aftershave balm. Fantastic, light spearmint scent, very small amount of menthol. Wonderful product that doesn't get its due around here.

Second, the Star Jelly aftershaves from PAA are really nice. Not very thick but not a splash at all. Perfect consistency. Come in a million scents. It seems to me that this stuff ought to harden up in the dispenser and be difficult to dispense after a while, but it does not. You can get these with or without menthol, and I think you can choose lightly or heavily mentholated, but my memory cold be wrong here.

Third, if you want a thicker balm, Stirling fits the bill. Many scent choices here, too.

I hate Nivea, but it is probably because I am allergic to the scent, even though it is light.

Finally, if you want to use an actual face lotion like somehofmthe other gents have suggested, I would recommend Neutropenia Hydroboost gel cream for extra dry skin, unscented. Consistency is similar to the PAA star Jelly aftershave, now that I think about it. Has hyaluronic acid. A nice product. Expensive, but a little goes a long, long way.

I knew I read about the difference before somewhere. Dug it up, translated and summarized.

Aftershave splash contains a huge amount of alcohol which is meant to disinfect and close the pores. These usually have less or no beneficial ingrediënts compared to the other two. First aftershave Splash like this that comes to mind is Clubman Pinaud.

Lotion should contain less or even no alcohol and focus more on hydrating ingrediënts (mineral oils, aloë, witchhazel,...) to make sure skin doesn't dry out.

Balms are obviously creamy, less scented and most focussed on hydradation and soothing the skin.
All liquid aftershaves in Europe with or without alcohol are lotions. My favourite balms or balsams are Nivea or Proraso.

Do you mean Aftershave Balm (AB) that is more like a moisturizer or something similar or do you mean alcohol free splash (which I like to call tonics since Lucky Tigers is probably the most popular)?

In terms of balm, I liked the GFT coral skin food (Although I had a sample and not a full bottle, it seems to be quite expensive though). Speick have a balm which I've never used but like all their products is highly raved on. If I was in the market for a splash I would 100% be buying theirs.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. Damn good stuff.

Best applied to you face while it is still wet. Scentless, so it doesn't conflict with your preferred frag.

Also, it's relatively inexpensive compared to what else is out there.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. Damn good stuff.

Best applied to you face while it is still wet. Scentless, so it doesn't conflict with your preferred frag.

Also, it's relatively inexpensive compared to what else is out there.
I second this. I use CeraVe several times a week. Apply it before an alcohol splash or a cologne and it not only keeps the skin in top form but it also prolongs the scent of whatever you use after applying it. I use the "PM" version- I find the one with sunscreen added has too thick a consistency.

I second the suggestion of Nivea after shave balm. No alcohol burn, and I often do one final close pass of the razor over the balm if I want a super close shave--it gives a close one without any burn.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like splashes like aqua velva as much as the next guy, but lately I've been on a kick looking for something a little thicker like a lotion. What are your favorite aftershaves that actually rub in like a lotion?

"lotion" ... you will find it more frequently referred to as a "balm" here. That may help you with locating threads about this subject.

I am rather fond of the DR Harris "Arlington" ... shave soap, splash, and yes balm. But it's like $50/bottle. So ... normally I do without a balm, or in the drier winter months just use an SPF sunscreen instead.

Top Bottom