What's new

What's your favorite aftershave lotion? Not a splash but something that goes on like lotion.

I like splashes like aqua velva as much as the next guy, but lately I've been on a kick looking for something a little thicker like a lotion. What are your favorite aftershaves that actually rub in like a lotion?

I absolutely love my Taylor of Old Bond Street - St. James lotion. It's pretty difficult to find but smells great and leaves my face feeling baby soft.

Scent wise I think it's compearable to Polo Blue EDT. But a little more woody. Did I mention I love it?

I do have to say that consistency-wise it doesn't feel that different to me than a splash would. So I'm not entirely sure why it's called a lotion. Maybe it's a bit less runny but the difference - to me - is minimal.

I like Pre de Provence. Scent is very clean and the performance is really good. Not greasy either.

pre.jpeg

I like a few already mentioned:
Nivea - for when my wife requestes a “scentless me”
SV 70th - clear, but applies and feels like a “lotion”.
Proraso Wood & Spice Balm - very lotion-like and smells great!

Tl;dr: I obsess on shave related things, and then I obsessively flatter myself for not obsessing on certain things.

Assuming they don't already, Nivea could sell their stuff as a boutique brand with a quaint artisanal craftsmanship backstory and an entire Post Shave Transformational Philosophy (PSTP) at an extreme price point.

Haters would say they don't get the big deal and that the supposedly neutral scent makes them vomit and elicits complaints from neighbors. The larger group, the Enthusiasts, would say the product changed their lives, and that while tastes differ, the product is a good value at any price in their humble opinions.

Nivea might make a lot loss money, but the lulz could be worth it.

When I'm out of Nivea I use a CeraVe moisturizer. I'm blessed with mostly neutral/normal skin needs and several large international brands provide excellent offerings in that space at low cost.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The Proraso white, blue, and green 'milks' are outstanding. In the same vein and at about 8 times the cost the Antica Barbieria Colla Almond and Green Tobacco 'milks' are probably the finest after shave skin care products I've ever used.

I second the recommendation of the Pre de Provence balms. I have balms by Floris and by Penhaligon's and the PdP balms are every bit as good, at least in terms of performance. The difference being that the Floris and Penhaligon's balms smell like one would expect $40 aftershave balms to smell.

I think lotion is what they call a/s splash in the UK. This one sounds good!
I absolutely love my Taylor of Old Bond Street - St. James lotion. It's pretty difficult to find but smells great and leaves my face feeling baby soft.

Scent wise I think it's compearable to Polo Blue EDT. But a little more woody. Did I mention I love it?

I do have to say that consistency-wise it doesn't feel that different to me than a splash would. So I'm not entirely sure why it's called a lotion. Maybe it's a bit less runny but the difference - to me - is minimal.

One that hasn't been mentioned is LEA 3-in-1 balm. This one is unusual in that it has a bit of alcohol and menthol. The scent is a moss+sandalwood type that fades after a few minutes.

Another balm that performs great is the Prep unscented balm. It smells a bit like sunscreen. Fortunately, the (un)scent does not last long.

I also like the Pre de Provence, Proraso and Nivea balms already mentioned.

I like splashes like aqua velva as much as the next guy, but lately I've been on a kick looking for something a little thicker like a lotion. What are your favorite aftershaves that actually rub in like a lotion?

Why not the Aqua Velva balm? It's sold in many local drug stores and best part is Gillette doesn't get any money for it! (it's a long story :biggrin1: )

proxy.php

Top Bottom