What's new

What's your fast, no effort shave?

I can get a good autopilot shave with the Rockwell 6S and R3 or R4 plate.

Since I'm retired, I don't have to beat the clock* any more, but if I did, I'd try the Rockwell or maybe GC.68P with canned foam, and save lathering time.

* If you hurry enough, you can do some spectacular damage with a cartridge or disposable...

No such animal, for me. Quietly retired, so my time's my own. Shaving is a pleasant routine, and I have no need nor desire to shorten or lengthen the time it takes.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Barbasol and my trusty Mach 3. Although the Mach 3 is really not any faster than anything else. I just don't have to think about it.

Splash of water. Minimal amount of Barbasol 1919 tube cream rubbed in with the left hand, Schick injector in the right. Slick left hand 'relathers' as necessary. Washrag when done. A Schick is always loaded and ready in the den. Sub-five minutes, DFS or better. Lately, I can hand lather a bit of Ach. Brito Mogno in place of the 1919 cream.

I'll generally go for creams on those days, usually TOBS (rose or Mr Taylor's) or Cyril Salter Wild Rose. I usually leave the CF cream for when I have time to appreciate it. I'll generally go for a badger, one that I'm really comfortable with, like my Ever-Ready 22mm with TGN Finest (to this day, my favorite brush). If I'm in too much of a hurry to even soak my brush, I'll use the CH2 Synthetic. On the very rare occasion I'm in a huge hurry, I'll skip the brush & cream and go for Cremo Sandalwood.

My razor's the same whether I'm going for a fast or a leisurely shave...90%+ of the time, it's my NEW SC with a Super Iridium blade. I'll sometimes vary it up with my Tradere or a slant of some kind, but nothing has ever shaved me like that NEW. Plus, it's by far the razor I'm most familiar with, and familiarity with your tools is huge when you're in a rush.

If I'm in a hurry, I'll probably default to finishing up with Nivea Sensitive, since that's a solid choice you don't have to think about too much, or Floid Amber, since that's probably my favorite aftershave. Really, aftershaves all pretty much take the same amount of time, so that step's not so important.

I'll generally go for creams on those days, usually TOBS (rose or Mr Taylor's) or Cyril Salter Wild Rose. I usually leave the CF cream for when I have time to appreciate it. I'll generally go for a badger, one that I'm really comfortable with, like my Ever-Ready 22mm with TGN Finest (to this day, my favorite brush). If I'm in too much of a hurry to even soak my brush, I'll use the CH2 Synthetic. On the very rare occasion I'm in a huge hurry, I'll skip the brush & cream and go for Cremo Sandalwood.

My razor's the same whether I'm going for a fast or a leisurely shave...90%+ of the time, it's my NEW SC with a Super Iridium blade. I'll sometimes vary it up with my Tradere or a slant of some kind, but nothing has ever shaved me like that NEW. Plus, it's by far the razor I'm most familiar with, and familiarity with your tools is huge when you're in a rush.

If I'm in a hurry, I'll probably default to finishing up with Nivea Sensitive, since that's a solid choice you don't have to think about too much, or Floid Amber, since that's probably my favorite aftershave. Really, aftershaves all pretty much take the same amount of time, so that step's not so important.

Some nice choices you have made. I too find that creams are a bit faster for making lather. I'm getting lazy lately and find myself using creams more often.

- Swirling any of my Simpson Chubbys on Mitchells Wool Fat or Tabac.
- One quick pass fly-over shave with my Above The Tie Windsor SSH1 respecting the different directions my beard grows.

I could be done here so great it works, but typically add this as it takes only some seconds and as I can't quit the BBS-obsession:

- Rinsing my face and quickly riding home on only the residual slickness of these soaps (so no lather here and just a few clean-up strokes on the still wet face.) Residual slickness is why I mentioned Tabac and MWF, because they just deliver. I could also add the Acqua di Parma soap/croap or others, but these two are my workhorses and there's a reflex to just grab them.

Last edited:
For a quick shave, honestly, I'll use Pinaud Clubman Shave Butter. It works well with any of my preferred razors and blades. I can complete a shave in about five minutes like that.

If I can’t take my time and enjoy the shave, I don’t shave. Every time I’ve tried to rush a shave, I end up with nicks and irritation, so I just don’t do it.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Shave the night before. Ikon X3 and ARKO! make for a quick, clean 1-2 ATG pass shave.

GC .84 sb. While it's not the most effitient razor and it requires more strokes and maybe an extra pass, but it's very comfortable and easy to use and it feels like I can do even 10 passes without any irritation, cuts or nicks.

Another good razor is the Schick adjustable M3. I can shave ATG with ease.

Shower, then La Toja stick, brush and a one-pass shave: as fast as a cart with better results!!
:a29: :a29:

Most of my shaves are pretty quick - I usually face lather, and I shave almost everyday. I guess if I were trying to be extra quick it would be MWF face lathered, a Tech or a Slim, a fresh Nacet or Wizamet, one pass plus touch up.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I never liked to start the day rushing around. When I was working (back in the day) I set the alarm so I could shower/shave, eat breakfast and read at least the first section of the paper - and still got to school 45 minutes early. I like mornings.

Now that I'm retired I don't do anything quickly. I have, on rare occasions, not shaved before a golf game and ended up shaving at 4 in the afternoon. I usually just do a one pass shave so my face doesn't complain the next morning. That's a pretty fast shave, but how much difference does 3 minutes make?

Whatever your prep, a Schick injector will give a speedy, close effortless shave. Technique, pressure irrelevant, shave angle built in. Fly around your face for a great shave in seconds. Nothing like it.

Top Bottom