What's new

What's your definition of "Product Rotation"?

As a novice I'm curious of what this means to different people. I always read things like: "It will now be part of my rotation" or "It's part of my rotation" etc.. I know what it means but I'd like to know what everyone's rotation is like. Like with multiple razors for example, do you use a different one everyday?
Or do you use the same one for a week, a month etc.?

For me as of now, I've gained some experience where I'm getting decent shaves that are void of any nicks and/or razor burn. I gained the experience with my first Merkur 23C!
So now I'm experimenting with different razors without giving much time (and constant long term use) to a particular one. I actually don't know if it's the best course though since each one shaves differently. Maybe I should use an individual one repeatedly for some time in order to fully learn it!

Anyways, what's your rotation like?
LRod
There is a group of us over in the Shave of the Week Society (Clubs and Brotherhood forum) that pick a razor, brush, soap and AS and we use that kit for the week, then switch out (rotate) i.e. pick another kit for the next week and so on. In this way we get to know our products really well and still have some variety in our shaves.

For me ‘Rotation’ is the more or less periodic sequence, succession or cycle in which I use my razors, soaps, aftershaves and whatnot…

‘Out of rotation’ means that I use them rarely and that they may fall victim to one of the next culls.

Shaving was never meant to be an exact science…

B.

Last edited:
For me, rotation refers primarily to my razors. I started 11 years ago with my Dad’s Gillette razors. I put in a blade and use that razor until the blade needs changing, and then I use a different razor. That ends up being every three to four weeks.

With soaps and creams, until last year, I bought one soap and used it until it was gone, and I had one brush (Omega 81064, excellent brush). Same with aftershave. I had a bottle of Pinaud Clubman.

Last year I began the acquisition disorders. I had to replace my brush, and now I have two boars, two badgers, a synthetic, and a horse. I’m fully recovered from BAD. I have no desire for another brush. Well, I lie. There is one boar brush I’d like to replace one of my boars, but that’s a purchase I will probably never make.

I have seven soaps and creams and 20 little sample creams. I have enough to last my lifetime. My SAD is in remission.

I have a lot of aftershaves. Some were purchased just as ingredients to make some of the Bootlegger recipes.

So with soaps, creams, and aftershaves, there is no real rotation as in a scheduled use; it’s just whatever strikes my fancy. Sometimes I like to use products from one country, maybe one brand, or maybe the same scent, or maybe what leaves me with the best skin feel. For Lent, I used only one soap and aftershave (Proraso red). In all honesty, I could go back to having one soap and aftershave, and I’d be fine. But I kind of like a menu to choose from.

Last edited:
There is one boar brush I’d like to replace one of my boars, but that’s a purchase I will probably never make.

Which boar brush is that? Does it happen to be apart of the pass around?

Grabbing whatever suits my fancy from my small stash of goodies. Sometime things will stay the same for weeks, other times a single use then back under the sink it goes.

Which boar brush is that? Does it happen to be apart of the pass around?

Omega Jade. I have two new brushes. If there is a pass around in the future, I might do it. Not in the mood now. Thanks for pointing it out, though.

Top Bottom