What's new

What's your definition of "Product Rotation"?

As a novice I'm curious of what this means to different people. I always read things like: "It will now be part of my rotation" or "It's part of my rotation" etc.. I know what it means but I'd like to know what everyone's rotation is like. Like with multiple razors for example, do you use a different one everyday?
Or do you use the same one for a week, a month etc.?

For me as of now, I've gained some experience where I'm getting decent shaves that are void of any nicks and/or razor burn. I gained the experience with my first Merkur 23C!
So now I'm experimenting with different razors without giving much time (and constant long term use) to a particular one. I actually don't know if it's the best course though since each one shaves differently. Maybe I should use an individual one repeatedly for some time in order to fully learn it!

Anyways, what's your rotation like?
LRod

Last edited:
Have you seen this?

Have you seen this?

Nope!
Thanks for that. I should have searched on that one!:bored:
I guess this thread is now officially closed, LOL!!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My definition of product rotation, is to stand in the mirror, and do a 180. If my hair is shaved after the end of the rotation, then it was worth the effort. :p

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For us newbies, there are lots of threads from years ago that came to a natural end but we haven't seen. I don't start many new ones. I tend to look at "What's new" and go from there unless there's a particular thing I need to "research" here.

Then I use the "search" feature. I do see quite a few threads being resurrected.... then I end up wading through years of posts, some still relevant, but since I don't use vintage gear, a lot of it, while interesting, doesn't really hmmmmm have a practical use for me.

I do enjoy the banter quite a few of you have... because you've been friends here for a long time. I'll get there eventually.

Some shavers tend to be minimalists. They have one razor, one type of blade, one soap, one brush and one aftershave. They use that combination for every shave until they need to purchase another pack of blades, another soap or another bottle of aftershave.

Some shavers might have multiple soaps in inventory, but they will open a soap and will continue to use that soap until the tub is empty.

Most shavers have at least a few razors, a few brands of razor blades, a few shaving soaps or creams, a few shaving brushes, and a few aftershaves. Thus, those products become part of their "rotation". Then comes the question of how those products are rotated. For some, there may be a strict schedule of usage. That schedule might be based on the day or the week, or the month. Then others just pick products based on whatever they feel like at the moment.

I have a rather large collection of soaps. Although I own over 200 soaps, about 80 are in my current rotation; the others are in storage. Thus, it will take me about four months or more to cycle through all the soaps in my rotation. I keep the soaps I have used in the past few months separated from those I have not used recently. However, I select a specific soap somewhat randomly based on my mood at the time. Eventually, all the soaps in the rotation will have been used. Once I select a soap, I then pick a brush that I feel will work well with that specific soap.

I am unusual in that I have a mini-roation of DE razors. I use a different razor for every pass. Each will be equipped with a different blade. I do a four pass shave, so I will use four razors and four blades during a typical shave. The exception is when I travel and only carry a single razor with me. If I am in the mood to shave with one of my straight razors, it will be selected at random and will be used for the first three passes. I always use a mild DE razor equipped with a super sharp blade for my clean-up pass.

It is your face, your beard, your shave, so you can chose to do whatever you want during the shave. If the combination of tools you select gives you a great shave, close without irritation, then you have chosen wisely. If you do not get a great shave, try to figure out why. Was it one of the products you selected, or was it your shaving technique that prevent you from experiencing a great shave? If something does not work well for you, experienced members here can help you figure out what went wrong.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If we only start threads that have never before been discussed then B&B will be even quieter than it already is. I rotate by randomly choosing a razor, brush, soap, and aftershave for each shave while avoiding the ones used for the previous shave. Sometimes I deliberately select those things that I have not used in a while.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As far as the rotation question, I guess I fall into the "American" category... with a British influence. I only use one razor, the Claymore Evolution... but I'm working through some of the blade choices. I used two Feather ProGuard blades until they were history and am currently on the trial of the first Feather ProSoft Guard blade.

I only have three brushes.... just got two of them... I plan to rotate them, sequentially, in every shave until I determine which of the two new ones I prefer, perhaps. The jury is still out on that one.

I have 4 soaps, with only a fair amount of use with 2 of them. I love them both but have tried to work in the other two every so often. For soaps, I just decide which one I'm going to use that shave... no system involved.

Unlike so many people here, I've only been wet shaving since Feb. 15th. I have a very shallow pool of experience so I am thoroughly enjoying reading the posts here. I found several other Shaving forums but this one is the most active... and seems to have a few more actual discussions. As a result, B&B is where I read the most. I did join a few FB pages but there is very little discussion on those... mostly photos of shaves of the day, etc

My rotation occurs when I replace a blade:

Razor(s): King C Gillette, Van der Hagen, WCS 84S
Brushes: Omega--11126, Van der Hagen, Gray Dog
Soaps: Stirling Barbershop, Catties Bubbles

Most shavers have at least a few razors, a few brands of razor blades, a few shaving soaps or creams, a few shaving brushes, and a few aftershaves. Thus, those products become part of their "rotation". Then comes the question of how those products are rotated. For some, there may be a strict schedule of usage. That schedule might be based on the day or the week, or the month. Then others just pick products based on whatever they feel like at the moment.
With the exception of blades I generally fall in the product based on whatever I feel like that day. Blades get changed once a week for me again based on mood

Have you seen this?

Here is what I posted on this thread:

For me -

I will use one razor for a week and tend to alternate between an adjustable and fixed DE. I might vary from that if I have more beard growth and opt for a more aggressive razor.

I will rotate through all of my soaps, then creams. For soaps, I will use one of my boar brushes. For creams, I will tend to use a badger or synthetic.

I will also try and match up scent profiles with whatever soap/cream I am using. For some soaps/creams I have the matching AS or balm (e.g., Tabac, Proraso, Cella, Soap Commander, etc.).

For blades I just rotate across my Derby, Astra SP and Dorco (Stainless & Prime) inventory. In the case of soap I have three ceramic shave mugs/cups and keep a puck of Williams in one and two of my blends in the others rotating across them for each shave. Typically break rotation with Prorasso or Van Der Hagen Luxury once every week or two.

Top Bottom