What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Still working on the Starbucks Chistmas Blend, fresh ground, brewed in Cuisinart automatic drip coffee maker. Will get back to our home roasted Costa Rican and Columbian once this is depleted

My friend has been searching all Starbucks for the Christmas blend because he likes it so much but he hasn't found anymore of it. He's saying he has to wait an entire year to get it again. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's good.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I haven't decided yet: chemex, percolator, keurig, French press, moka pot, aeropress, or mr coffee. Sumatra mandheling, Ethiopian Yirgachaffe, community coffee, 8o'clock coffee, or k-cups.
too early to make these choices
Must decide b4 bed

SWMBO got another lb of the local 3 bean blend as it is just too darn cold to roast outside. I can handle the outside but the roaster does not light fighting sub freezing temps and the roasts are just not as lively as they are when it is warmer (30's to 40's winter is typical for us not this dang cold).

So today was BUNN-DAY once again with the 3 bean blend. 32.5 grams of ground beans to 48 oz of water for a short pot in the commercial Bunn.

I find I use the Bunn 90% of the time. It makes FINE coffee and you just can beat the convenience of an auto drip.

proxy.php

3 bean blend in keurig 2.0 since I got a solo cup that works. Couldn't get hot glue to stay well on my other solo, this new one works without the hack.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I slept in . . . woke up. It was the day to take the garbage to the curb. Ack, no filters, what the heck. I thought I had one more section of the pack of a trillion I bought from CostCo. Nope. No time to use some of the slower methods that take more attention.

12:30 business lunch . . . food . . . yak yak yak 2:15PM . . . yes yes yes double espresso. Bless you waitress angel you have staved off certain death or at least a 3 day coma like sleep.

5:45 PM . . . buying No. 4. filters on the way home.

I've used a paper towel or a paper napkin in the same situation Mike. It's not optimal but it's better than no coffee.

Today I'm drinking home roasted #31 from Sweet Maria's and home roasted Guatemala Antigua from a small importer in California. My espresso journey has been long and at times frustrating but I'm constantly pulling really good shots from my home set up.

I slept in . . . woke up. It was the day to take the garbage to the curb. Ack, no filters, what the heck. I thought I had one more section of the pack of a trillion I bought from CostCo. Nope.

That's when having a 2 cup "emergency" press comes in handy. 2 cups of water in the microwave for 2.5 minutes, into the press for a 30 second bloom, then another 3-5 minute steep and you are drinking coffee.

Hard to beat the taste too :yesnod:

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That's when having a 2 cup "emergency" press comes in handy. 2 cups of water in the microwave for 2.5 minutes, into the press for a 30 second bloom, then another 3-5 minute steep and you are drinking coffee.

Hard to beat the taste too :yesnod:

proxy.php

I like the emergency red handle. I had bad French coffee every weekday for a year while working on a consulting contract. Maybe it is time to revisit with a better press and better beans/grind.

Grind recommendations are welcome.

I like the emergency red handle.

DO NOT BREAK GLASS - make coffee :yesnod:

Grind recommendations are welcome.

For a general purpose grinder it is hard to beat the entry level Baratza.... No hand slapping for being a Baratza "fan boy".... YOU asked....

The Encore is a hard one to top for general purpose coffee grinding. Pour over to press it does a great job. I've had their entry level since they started making grinders and still have a Maestro Plus at our cabin in the "great white north"

The Encore sells for around $100 on the Baratza site as a refurb. Don't be afraid of Baratza referbs as they are individually evaluated and reset by the folks that designed them (better than one off of the line as it has individual attention)

They are well designed. Well built (well as well as can be expected for the price point). Easy to maintain. AND easy and INEXPENSIVE to repair when they do break.

The entry level grinder will fit on an Esatto (weight based attachment) which makes them equal or better ANY pour over, press, or general purpose coffee grinder. The newest entry level Baratza is a Maestro Plus sporting a different badge (Encore)

There is noting like pushing a button and having the perfect grind at the perfect weight.

This is my old Maestro Plus on the Esatto. The Maestro Plus is at our cabin and the Vario-W in the pic has been sold for a while. If I had the funds to spend I would get another Esatto for the Maestro Plus at the cabin :yesnod:

proxy.php

The Maestro Plus at the cabin up north

proxy.php

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I love seeing your collection. I've got only one but it is nice. Baratza Virtuoso Preciso. I picked this model as I thought I'd be trying several different brewing methods.

I'm thinking the grind should be quite a bit on the coarse side compared to what I use for drip coffee .. . which is fine as I can without clogging the filter to the point of flooding.

I love seeing your collection. I've got only one but it is nice. Baratza Virtuoso Preciso. I picked this model as I thought I'd be trying several different brewing methods.

I'm thinking the grind should be quite a bit on the coarse side compared to what I use for drip coffee .. . which is fine as I can without clogging the filter to the point of flooding.

Preciso is a nice grinder. One that I do recommend as an all purpose grinder (press to espresso). That's why I have mine. It is a back up to the Forte steel burr brew grinder AND the Super Jolly espresso grinder. Sure it won't be as good as either in their own relm but it should be no slouch to perform either task in an emergency (one or the other dies on me)

Brew with a timer or stop watch or just keep an eye on your wrist watch (or cell phone)..

It should NOT take less that 2 minutes or more than 5 minutes to brew a 4 cup (US cup / 36 oz) pot. If it is too short your grind is TOO coarse. If the time is TOO LONG your grind is too fine.

Perfect time is between 3-4 minutes

Once you get within the "sweet spot" of 3-4 minutes you can adjust a bit up and down (finer / coarser) to dial in the taste.

BUT....

When you get your next bag of beans all bets are off and you start all over again searching for the "perfect time" but you "should" still be dialed within the 3-4 minute "sweet spot" mark.

Top Bottom