What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

My new Bonavita BV1900LS arrived today (replacing a Keurig VUE). I was given a bag of Peet's Columbia so after a few cleaning runs I brewed my first carafe of coffee. Wow. Hot, strong, and no bitterness. I can't wait to try freshly ground Sumatra

Nasty Folger these people at work claim is coffee, too weak and very bitter tasting roast with little flavor. Left my grinder at home since I took it to clean it yesterday and forgot it this morning.

Folgers K-Cup decaf....accidentally grabbed the wrong cup while 1/3 awake....

Also had McDonalds regular as wife got me breakfast.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Pre-ground Community Coffee Breakfast Blend brewed using the Chemex.
Surprisingly delicious

The last of the 3 bean blend in the commercial bunn brewer

It is in the 20's outside but I gotta roast.....

Peet's Major Dickinson Blend ground with a Rancilio Rocky and brewed in a Cuisinart Drip machine.

We stated buying Peet's before the X-Mas holidays after drinking various Trader Joe's coffees for many years (which we enjoyed). We both agree the Peet's coffees are better. Whether they are worth the 50-40% price premium is still open to debate.

We have also recently begun using the Rancilio grinder after having used a Krups bladed spice grinder for many years. Again, the coffee is better (smoother, rounder). Is the improved coffee worth the $320 cost of the Rocky? At this point, we're prepared to say yes...but I can understand if others would say no.

We have also recently begun using the Rancilio grinder after having used a Krups bladed spice grinder for many years. Again, the coffee is better (smoother, rounder). Is the improved coffee worth the $320 cost of the Rocky? At this point, we're prepared to say yes...but I can understand if others would say no.

You will notice an improvement in taste if you buy freshly roasted beans. I consider "fresh" as beans that are roasted within 3-4 days of purchase. You should consume roasted beans within 14 days of being roasted to avoid a shift in flavors.

Your profile does not say where you are located. You might want to update this so that you can receive better (more location centered) help from other members.

To update your location profile:

1) Click Settings at the top of the page
2) On the left sidebar under My Settings click Edit Profile
3) Scroll down and enter a general location (how specific you want to get is up to you)

Let us know the general area where you are located and I am sure someone can recommend a local artisan roaster who can provide you with better tasting beans that what you are now able to find.

You may also want to get a digital instant read thermometer and check the temp of your brew water coming out of your drip machine. IF it is below 185-190 AFTER leaving the brew basket and heading for the carafe, you should consider a different brew method.

As to your Rocky. Yes, it is a little OVER KILL for drip grind.... BUT.... If you already have it....... GREAT!!!!

^ The Peet's beans were purchased online and were roasted 12/24/14. We received the coffee two days after ordering. Those bags sat unopened until 1/6/15. The bottom line is that we received the beans within two days of roasting, and they would have been fresher had we opened the bags immediately...but we were finishing some already opened bags. The freshness of Peet's is a definite advantage over Trader Joe's.

I'll look into the coffee temp, but it's unlikely we will change brew methods. The Cuisinart drip machine is simply too convenient for us.

We are in Los Angeles.

Last edited:
Still working on the Starbucks Chistmas Blend, fresh ground, brewed in Cuisinart automatic drip coffee maker. Will get back to our home roasted Costa Rican and Columbian once this is depleted

Top Bottom