What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Time for the Moka pot, this time with 100% robusta from a farm in Luzon, Philippines. Very strong so some hot water added.

20230319_074535~2.jpg

20230319_075330~2.jpg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Starting on the new bag of Mad Priest Sloth Dispelling this morning with the french press. I ground some of the beans before bed last night.

It's 27° in Music City right now with a high around 41° today. Three Canada Geese have been hanging out by the bird feeder. They show up every year around this time. They were a little late this time around as they usually arrive in late February. At least that's been the pattern for many years now.

Have a blessed Sunday, crew.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
it's a balmy 45F here at the moment.... high today? 59F... 91F a week from today.... Such is the Florida weather.

I added 2 grams more coffee this morning.. so 45g to around 900g of coffee... That's 20:1 if I did the math correctly. And they said we'd never use Algebra in our adult lives. ;)

linty1

My wallet cries.
Speaking of later coffee, here's a double I pulled into this great little rose colored glass.

Columbian Veredas Vecinas, lighter roast than last week.
View attachment 1622190
What glass is that? Its really nice! It makes me want to go back and get that other espresso glass I was looking at, but forget the name. It was like a whisky glass. In fact... I bet a whisky glass might even be cheaper.

Anyways a shot of the papua new guinea beans:

4D537CE7-472B-42DC-90D4-902FD3A9452D.jpeg

Into an americano in my Nescafe mug. "You're just advertising for the company" says the wife... but I enjoy the mug.

Update: I had to look it up, it was bugging me: "notNeutral vero cup"

Last edited:
What glass is that? Its really nice! It makes me want to go back and get that other espresso glass I was looking at, but forget the name. It was like a whisky glass. In fact... I bet a whisky glass might even be cheaper.

Anyways a shot of the papua new guinea beans:

View attachment 1623396

Into an americano in my Nescafe mug. "You're just advertising for the company" says the wife... but I enjoy the mug.

Update: I had to look it up, it was bugging me: "notNeutral vero cup"
Yep, that's the one. I have a few different colors. The rose has been sold out for a while.

Chock Full O Nuts after Mass this morning in the French Press. No math for me this morning. 2 TBS and 12 ounces of water. A touch weaker than normal in the FP but still better than the drip.

Not much sleep last night but what I did get was good. Broke out some tea for the nightcap and was wide awake until midnight. Upton's Yunnan TGFOP. Pretty good stuff but not going down that rabbit hole (again).

Morning Gentleman (well it is here in New Zealand)
I got given a random blend a mate roasted 5 days ago and I am drinking it black.
This morning I am using a swiss gold pourover in to a mug.
This blend not quite my thing and roast a bit questionable but it will give me a good kick start !!

CB
I bought 2 Swiss Gold pour over cones maybe 25 years ago in the US. I don't think they currently are available here. I use them occasionally, but my regular daily way to brew coffee is a Kalitta Wave dripper, which makes great coffee and is widely available in the US and abroad. The key thing to great coffee at home is to buy freshly roasted whole beans and grind them daily.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That second pic looks delicious. Wish I could figure out the "finicky-ness" of my Moka pot to make good coffee. Maybe one day.
I grind the beans just before use, use a medium grind, level the grounds but do not tamp them, boil the water before adding to the lower chamber, and use a low and slow burner heat. That is what I read on the web and it seems to work. I do not weigh the beans and just judge everything by eye - to be honest it was far too strong - I have been buzzing all day 🤣

Last edited:
and use a low and slow burner heat.

This is where I can't get it right. I have an old electric coil stove and have actually read that this type of burner can increase the finicky-ness of the pot- which it apparently does in my case. Mine will never boil if I use anything lower than medium. Tried that and it sat for 20+ minutes with no noise at all before I gave up. Then tried to compromise with a higher heat until it started to rumble and then bring it down and again, it just sort of quit. If I use strictly medium heat, it actually boils and doesn't come out of the spout as a nice trickle but spurts out and makes a mess if I leave the lid up to watch it. I'm convinced my old stove just goes from Boil to Quit regardless what the knobs say. ;)

Top Bottom