What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Good morning fellas

This morning is some Ethiopian Gugi, black, done in the Bunn

B9EBF3E9-3FA9-4FBA-ACE4-90DC09F380A9.jpeg

I'm a year round terere guy. It replaced iced tea for me. What's the yerba in yours? I'm a Rosamonte fan for the most part but do swap around a bit.
Terere is a nice option for hot days for sure. Today I'm using "Tertulia" from Brazil. I like Rosamonte as well as Canarias, both wonderful. Baldo and Taragui are also nice.

But the Brazilian ones are cut a little different, it's not as coarse and there's no large rest period, so it's bright green and fresh tasting. I love them all.

Try it if you can find some. Not a world different, but enough to make it interesting.

Edit: There's also a coarser Brazilian type, "moida grossa". Bright green, fresh, but a little stronger.

Last edited:
Try it if you can find some. Not a world different, but enough to make it interesting.
When I do drink it hot, I experiment a little bit more. I have a couple of Kilos of Taragui Sin Palo and have gone through a few of Canarias. I make my terere in a large pitcher, so I normally want something that has a thicker cut to make it easier without a lot of dust. Rosamonte is the exception. I just love the smoky flavor either hot or cold.

Are you in South America? Here in the States, I buy mostly from Go Yerba Mate. His shop is actually a few hours drive North of me. He has some very nice Yerba that is made for his store that I really like. One is Organic Green. It's a large cut sin palo with no added dust and as green as grass. It's a great mild Yerba that takes a little sweetener perfectly.
I do not like flavored Yerba much at all. I tried a Kurupi with Boldo one time and that was terrible for my tastes. I can handle something like CBSe Naranja a couple of times a year, but I prefer to stay away from anything flavored- which I guess is odd for me, because terere is normally made with orange juice or lemonade. I just like it cold and plain. ;)

The coffee and the pineapple (and the wife I guess) are the only things Hawaiian in Minnesota right now, huh? How much snow did you get this week?
Ha! Minnesota is the home of SPAM, which makes its ties to Hawaii rather strong. Not a bad week here for snow thankfully. We got maybe an inch of some snow/slushy wet nastiest last night. But, there is talk of maybe hitting 40 degrees tomorrow. That is shorts and T-shirt weather here this time of year.

When I do drink it hot, I experiment a little bit more. I have a couple of Kilos of Taragui Sin Palo and have gone through a few of Canarias. I make my terere in a large pitcher, so I normally want something that has a thicker cut to make it easier without a lot of dust. Rosamonte is the exception. I just love the smoky flavor either hot or cold.

Are you in South America? Here in the States, I buy mostly from Go Yerba Mate. His shop is actually a few hours drive North of me. He has some very nice Yerba that is made for his store that I really like. One is Organic Green. It's a large cut sin palo with no added dust and as green as grass. It's a great mild Yerba that takes a little sweetener perfectly.
I do not like flavored Yerba much at all. I tried a Kurupi with Boldo one time and that was terrible for my tastes. I can handle something like CBSe Naranja a couple of times a year, but I prefer to stay away from anything flavored- which I guess is odd for me, because terere is normally made with orange juice or lemonade. I just like it cold and plain. ;)
Nice! I also don’t like flavored stuff, so always the pure version for me. In the south of Brazil you have a ton of options to choose from so it’s quite a nice ride.

Yerba (or erva) mate in Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguai and Brazil (mostly in the south) is always part of the day one way or another.

I lean more to the hot mate side, as it is more traditional down here due to the cold weather. Terere is more popular in warmer states like Mato Grosso or Mato Grosso do Sul. Of course this is not a hard rule.

But mate is simply part of the history and culture, from the guaranis to the country men (gaucho) all over to the modern urban population. It’s everywhere.

Keep “mateando”! 🧉

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Cafe Du Monde in the french press.

A comfortable 55° in Music City right now. High around 65° today. It looks like we got some rain last night. Not much going on today other than catching up on some emails.

Enjoy your brew and God bless you all.

Now Playing:

Dr._John_-_City_Lights.jpg

Top Bottom