What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Drinking some small batch natural Ethiopia on the Specht and Coffee Machinist modded Linea Mini.

Attachments

• 302D9C80-7C26-4F71-883F-1E169B88E69A.jpeg
    302D9C80-7C26-4F71-883F-1E169B88E69A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
My dad was a big America fan. Ventura Highway is one of my all-time favorite songs. Through a producer friend of mine I got to meet Dewey and Gerry a few years back. What part of Southern California is your dad from?
That’s awesome. Ventura Highway is one of my favorites as well. I’m not sure exactly what town he grew up in, but his mother continued to live out there after he moved and she lived in Hemet from my earliest memories until she died.

Oh, I should say I’m drinking Eight o’clock original brewed in the Bunn Phase Brew and currently listening to:
7B822CBE-EBCB-48F0-BDBC-351E866518F0.jpeg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
That’s awesome. Ventura Highway is one of my favorites as well. I’m not sure exactly what town he grew up in, but his mother continued to live out there after he moved and she lived in Hemet from my earliest memories until she died.
Ah, a dear friend of mine lives in Hemet.

And now there’s my high school days. Nirvana wasn’t my favorite band - I was more into Alice In Chains and STP - but there’s no doubt they changed the landscape. Sad to think about the fate of all three of those lead singers and pretty wild to think about how the drummer for Nirvana went on to become a massive rock icon in his own right.
Nirvana really brought the underground scene out into the mainstream. I love Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell was a heck of a guitarist. Gonna have to break my flannel out and kick it old school for a sec!

🤔 My coffee today is tea, amen. Warnings to all who play with cold coffee and a Mizudashi pot: that stuff tastes so great you don't notice it's STRENGTH until you drop something - and recover it - four times before it hits the floor! 🤣

AA
I usually make it around 2:1 my normal ratio. Then incessantly remind my son that it’s concentrated and needs to be diluted - or at least drink less - before he chugs it down.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I usually make it around 2:1 my normal ratio. Then incessantly remind my son that it’s concentrated and needs to be diluted - or at least drink less - before he chugs it down.
This! The caf part is invisible, sadly, and there are no warnings - until your bobbling something like a comical football play.

Diluting it with milk makes an even-better tasting drink, and then you drink more ... :lol:

AA

Today, call me "Overkill." Why? Well, after reading @rudygu 's post re using electric screwdrivers to power my hand burr grinder, I figured I'd give that a shot.

Unfortunately, I don't have an electric screwgie handy. I do, however, have multiple electric drills. However, the cordless one I found needed a recharge, & its recharger wasn't handy.

That left me w/serious overkill as the option: my Dad's old school, corded Craftsman drill. Here's the name plate- I figure it's from the late 1960s at the very latest, agreed?

drill.jpg

And here's how the whole rig looks:

rig.jpg

As I said, major overkill.

Anyhoo, having done all that, I figured that just making "normal" coffee was something of a waste. Turkish coffee anyone? And, of course, having just McGuyvered- or maybe McGrubered- all of the above, I wasn't going to let anything like not having a proper cevze* get in my way. So, I used the above to grind ultra-fine coffee, put it in a Pyrex measuring cup w/a cup of cold water, put said cup in the nuke + boiled it for a few minutes, then carefully poured it off into a mug. Ah... improvised Turkish coffee. A la overkill.

* A cevze is the unique small brass pot used to prepare Turkish coffee. Its design, something like that of an Erlenmeyer flask, allows for careful pouring of the coffee so that it has as little of the ground coffee as possible. Clearly, I need to get one.

1675355207923.png

Last edited:
Today, call me "Overkill." Why? Well, after reading @rudygu 's post re using electric screwdrivers to power my hand burr grinder, I figured I'd give that a shot.

Unfortunately, I don't have an electric screwgie handy. I do, however, have multiple electric drills. However, the cordless one I found needed a recharge, & its recharger wasn't handy.

That left me w/serious overkill as the option: my Dad's old school, corded Craftsman drill. Here's the name plate- I figure it's from the late 1960s at the very latest, agreed?

View attachment 1598999

And here's how the whole rig looks:

View attachment 1599000

As I said, major overkill.

Anyhoo, having done all that, I figured that just making "normal" coffee was something of a waste. Turkish coffee anyone? And, of course, having just McGuyvered- or maybe McGrubered- all of the above, I wasn't going to let anything like not having a proper cevze* get in my way. So, I used the above to grind ultra-fine coffee, put it in a Pyrex measuring cup w/a cup of cold water, put said cup in the nuke + boiled it for a few minutes, then carefully poured it off into a mug. Ah... improvised Turkish coffee. A la overkill.

* A cevze is the unique small brass pot used to prepare Turkish coffee. Its design, something like that of an Erlenmeyer flask, allows for careful pouring of the coffee so that it has as little of the ground coffee as possible. Clearly, I need to get one.

View attachment 1599001
Ha, that’s perfect. If my memory is correct the snobs I saw posting about it were picky about the torque ratings and speed of the screwdrivers/drills they used - didn’t want any heat to interfere with the quality of the coffee. They 3d printed bits to fit the grinders as well. There’s no amount of obsession to detail a coffee nerd won’t take on. It was too much for me and I love that you hooked it straight to the chuck of an antique corded drill 😂

It was too much for me and I love that you hooked it straight to the chuck of an antique corded drill 😂

To be precise, the drill is, at most 55 years old, so doesn't meet the technical requirement of 100 years old to be an antique. ;) It's certainly old, though! Older than me, I suspect.

-Z

Good morining afternoon fellas!

Finally drinking the Ethiopia Gera Nano Challa, as an Americano, that I roasted sometime last weekend. It's really light and difficult to grind, but it's a complete success, it's easy to extract consistently and the citrus and fruit notes are impossible not to notice. There is a lot of interesting flavours, but it's not lacking body, I believe that's one reason it was recommended for espresso.

I really like coffee of Ethiopian origin - light to medium roast, some fruit flavors. Being the only real coffee drinker in the house most days, I do it one cup at a time:

1) Grind beans as coarse as i can with the Capresso Infinity
2) Heat water to 200-205 F
3) Pour about 30 g of that water on the grounds to bloom for about 30 seconds
4) Pour on the remaining hot water (about 252 g total)
5) Steep for about 4 minutes
6) Pour into coffee cup through a tea strainer

Cheers!
Tony

Morning Friends!

Early morning for me. Lots going on. Opened up the Colombian coffee today and it's not the best. Flat aroma and taste. Granted, my preferences lean toward really dark and bittersweet espresso type roasts and this has more of that acidity I don't care for. It favors something like Dunkin Donuts regular blend, which I hate.

Just got called into work. Yippee. Talk later.

Top Bottom