What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

linty1

My wallet cries.
In preparstion for returning to work, I cut coffee, cold turkey. As I would be going from coffee everyday to once or twice a week and wanted to get aclimatized. Oh the headaches. The headaches. I miss the daily ritual. At least I still have my one or two a week. I did pick up a bag of decaf. *sigh*

Mid day espresso (following 4 cups of Colombian). Cup of instant in a little while. I don't know why SWMBO wants instant in the evening but if it makes her happy, it is another instant evening ☺️

The mid day pull
20210523_102117-01.jpeg

My first non-shaving post on B&B: Two shots of espresso from my Flair this morning--the first I've pulled in quite a while!

tempImageg79hIj.jpg
tempImagelwiSQi.jpg

This is a home roast of a Kenya AA from Sweet Maria's. Three days post-roast, so a bit early but I couldn't stand waiting any longer. The cups are 5-oz capacity by the way! After a quick sip of the shot, I usually add three oz or so of water for a small Americano.

I have been drinking drip coffee for a long time so this was a treat today!

linty1

My wallet cries.
My first non-shaving post on B&B: Two shots of espresso from my Flair this morning--the first I've pulled in quite a while!

View attachment 1271641View attachment 1271642

This is a home roast of a Kenya AA from Sweet Maria's. Three days post-roast, so a bit early but I couldn't stand waiting any longer. The cups are 5-oz capacity by the way! After a quick sip of the shot, I usually add three oz or so of water for a small Americano.

I have been drinking drip coffee for a long time so this was a treat today!

How did you pull a double shot on the flair? Do you have the bigger Pro brew chamber?

How did you pull a double shot on the flair? Do you have the bigger Pro brew chamber?

Yes, mine is the Pro. And I should have clarified that the two pictures were of separate shots, one pulled after the other. Two more from this morning: The second one had very nice coloring but it was borderline sour. I put my Flair on a low, sturdy end table and find it so easy just to put my body weight into the shot while watching the gauge from above--super controllable and easy. These were 18g doses. I don't know the output weight. I just drink it. ☕:eek2:

tempImageCjAmMB.jpg
tempImageLIreea.jpg

Onyx Coffee Lab’s Ethiopia natural process. The beans won 5th place in Ethiopia’s first ever competition in the Cup of Excellence. A lot of bright sweetness with enough depth to round it out. 40 grams in, 600 grams out. Brewed in my Chemex.

My wife prefers with cream.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

linty1

My wallet cries.
CC48E838-643E-45ED-8425-A6CD7033433E.jpeg

Someone heard that I liked coffee and gave me one of these to try. The instructions say to mix with 50ml of water, which seems low to me, but away I went. I've tried other 3-in-1 sachets before (the G7 ones are alright) but this one I did not like. But interesting and a fun little try just the same, I find that with some of these premixed packs, they are more on the dessert end of the spectrum than what I would drink as coffee.

linty1

My wallet cries.
202F44F3-CBE9-45E7-90A0-7F926E36D63F.jpeg

Been looking forward to this all week.. man its nice.. forgot to tare the scale for the water, but I've done it enough to know how much it should be. A bag of Kent coffee, near the end of it. I already have a bag of decaf here.. haven't had decaf before so that will be interesting. This moment needs to last longer than it will.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Yes, mine is the Pro. And I should have clarified that the two pictures were of separate shots, one pulled after the other. Two more from this morning: The second one had very nice coloring but it was borderline sour. I put my Flair on a low, sturdy end table and find it so easy just to put my body weight into the shot while watching the gauge from above--super controllable and easy. These were 18g doses. I don't know the output weight. I just drink it. ☕:eek2:

View attachment 1272066View attachment 1272067

Oh I forgot to ask, when pulling too shots, do you pull one, then open, dump, rinse, and prep for second? Or did you buy an extra water chamber/head for it?

On a separate note I saw a thing where someone 3d printed out one of those splits for the portafilter so the shot will go into two cups, which was kinda neat.

Oh I forgot to ask, when pulling too shots, do you pull one, then open, dump, rinse, and prep for second? Or did you buy an extra water chamber/head for it?

On a separate note I saw a thing where someone 3d printed out one of those splits for the portafilter so the shot will go into two cups, which was kinda neat.

I only have one chamber and basket. I did originally buy an extra basket to pull back-to-back shots, but decided to return it after I had some experience brewing multiple shots. Yes, there's some clean up in between, and the items are hot, but if you prep multiple shots in advance, I'm not sure how much time you'd save compared to the extra cost. Plus you've got more stuff to clean and store, etc. When I take this on vacation to share espresso with family/friends, I try to have people assist by grinding their own coffee for their shot (I have a Kinu M47). In my cafe, you gotta earn your way! That also helps speed things up.

If someone wanted extra equipment for multiple shots, I'd say skip the second chamber and just get another basket (assuming it comes with its own screen--I forget). The chamber is easy enough to remove from the first shot, wipe down, reset the plunger, and pop on to the second basket, and it will already be preheated.

Cool to hear that there are 3D printed accessories like that shot splitter!

This morning's coffee is a home roasted Nicaragua, brewed as drip. It is good, not great, but Saturday makes it taste better.

Costa Rican organic , hand roast medium dark, Turkish brass grinder , Armenian jeszve , dose of Indian masala jaggery and a shot of MOOS half&half.....

linty1

My wallet cries.
62705177-F49C-4F93-BDF0-3E263B84EF5B.jpeg

Last bit of the Kent beans, and you know what? I used.. theres only a 3 beans left and a bit of chafe. Usually when I get to the bottom of the bag I have a weird amount left, not quite enough for another full shot etc but today was pretty close.. I tosed the last 3 in to grind and out goes the bag.

I ended up getting another, bigger scale (an escali), and its nice as I can use any mug I want now.

Anyways another americano, and unfort last cup until maybe? mid week. Barring that, until next weekend.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I could 't wait, rome open the bag of decaf and.. its a lot darker roast than I usually like... but there wasn't a choice of roast level, only "decaf". Anyways, weighed out my beans and... huh... seems? to be a lot more beans needed to make up the 16 grams? Maybe because its a darker roast, longer roasted = dryer beans = lighter?

Anyways, dialed the grinder a little coarser as I find I usually need to for a new bag. Ground, went to tamp... and it -feel- like there is more volume wise in the portafilter. Interesting. Went to pull and right away I know I've ground it way, way too course. I lighten up on the pull... I was hitting maybe, maybe 2lbs to try and lengthen the pull time to get a bit more out of the beans instead of woosh! all the water out.

This is after I added my water for my americano:

1F65BF48-DE2E-4974-9638-FC83078C45C3.jpeg

It doesn't taste quite as bad as I thought it would, no sourness.... a bit of a bitter back taste.. and a little weak... not really getting the flavours I usually do (maybe also bc of the darker roast than I'm used to?). Oh well, first pulls and the next few are about dialing in settings etc. Fun!

Also read up on decaffination and swiss water method... apparently it doesn't mean "caffeine free", but depending on country/rules, its pretty darn close.

Top Bottom