What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Eben Stone

Staff member
20211020_171816.jpg

Krups Il Caffè Duomo
Starbucks Blonde Espresso
Horizon organic whole milk

The Starbucks *BLONDE* espresso is quite different from their typical overburnt roasts. I really like it.

This beast of a machine is finally on its last legs after 21 years. Can't decide if I want to spent $250 or $700 on a new machine. :confused1

Currently on a washed Tanzanian single-origin from my local roasters. Espresso by way of a Flair Pro 2 and JX Pro grinder. Really nice, some of the best espresso I've made yet. Interesting flavours with gorgeous sweet aftertaste. 15g in to 40g out. If you're in the UK it's available from Quarter Horse Coffee in Birmingham.

Lavazza Super Crema
Gaggia Classic Pro w/OPV mod to 9 bar
Eureka Mignon Instantaneo grinder

New addition to the routine this morning! distribution tool (cheapish adjustable one from amazon). Definitely seemed to help with even extraction.

linty1

My wallet cries.
B3A82DDF-756E-4BF1-B7AF-72E701770521.jpegAgree, the Starbucks "True North" / Blonde roast is good, its what I get when I go. I recently went for two fast food meals and tried their coffees, from A&w and Harveys, and while it wasn't anything to wow about, it was better than the coffee from Mcdonalds and Tims. To me the coffee from those two latter places tastes like cig butts everytime.

Used the moka pot again this morning twice. Come out tasty diluted with frothed milk and sweet creme. The larger sized pots I have coming will be nice. It was a pain to try to empty and refill this little one in a timely manner without being burned lol. Thank goodness for Kevlar oven gloves.

Tried to make some vietnamese style iced coffee with the phin filter tonight. I'm sure it really isn't vietnamese as I don't have an vietnamese coffee to use. Still fun to try. I believe the dark roast I used it ground a tad too fine. It was quite bitter. I'm going to have to tinker with grinds and water temps too improve the flavor. Sweetened with some condensed milk and iced. It was still quite tasty regardless. I'm still figuring out this phin filter. Everywhere I read that 2 tablespoons of coffee is the standard but when I use this much it seems to overfill the phin and hinder the top filter from screwing on. Its a work in progress but it sure is fun watching the coffee drip through.

20211026_185330.jpg

20211026_190700.jpg

Had some moka pot cafe bustello this evening to warm up when cooking dinner. Altered the process a bit and brewed on a lower temp. Also paused after the first drops to allow a sorta infusion. I don't know if I really like it. Seemed less smooth to me. I ended up having to raise the eye setting a bit to get it to brew lol. The extended time on the burner seemed to really overcook the coffee. The water was preheated as well. I'll give it another try tomorrow I guess. Still wasn't bad I guess.

20211028_181539.jpg
20211028_181806.jpg

Made another cup with the moka pot this morning. I went back to the first method I tried with it. Hot water in the base and no pause. The burner set to high and has the coffee begins flowing I lifted it from direct contact with the burner. Kinda hovered it over until the brewing was finished. Seems to work best so far. Also tried another type of dark roast grounds that is not espresso and a bit courser ground. Wasn't expecting much but it turned out pretty good! Diluted with my normal 5-6oz mix of milk and sweet creme.

20211029_090605.jpg

Aeropress for the coffee this morning and yesterday. A medium roast this morning and a dark roast yesterday. Both diluted with 6oz of milk. Used a metal filter in it today and a paper one yesterday. This thing is fun to play with!

20211104_074825.jpg

linty1

My wallet cries.
The last of some Ethiopian beans (I threw out the bag label a few days ago when I opened up a new bag).

linty1

My wallet cries.
Work had a little coffee and tea thing for us today in one of those big huge heated tin urns... tastes... like folgers. A smooth cup, pretty one note in taste. Nothing offensive, yet nothing.... tasty? Not sure if that's the word for it. It's hot. It warms the cockles.

Top Bottom