What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

linty1

My wallet cries.
Went through the same routine as above, with the grinder set finer and...

4C7E6973-B3DE-4100-8AC7-656C9712DE03.jpeg

Same result?! Led me to check the screw and see if everything was tight, it was... went to check the calibration and.. aha! It was off or some reason? Not sure why... did.. I accidently move the bottom ring? Did the wifey clean and move it? Who knows, but it should be good now... -sigh- but this cup isn't all bad, will try again tomorrow.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Third? Or forth day grinding finer and finer and.. still getting the same shots... weird.. I'm all the way down to the 11 setting now (from 18) and its still the same. I might take the burrs out and clean it and see if that improves/changes anything. This is strange. Like I don't think its even getting incrementally better.

linty1

My wallet cries.
In case what anybody wants to know what a Niche grinder looks like on the inside (I'll post thumbnails as I realize I'm starting to veer from the topic of this thread, just click to get bigger versions):

1239AD88-FE75-46E4-A432-944FA8A06284.jpeg

696146A1-D2CF-4A21-AB0D-B99599CB166B.jpeg

AEC36108-2BF1-497D-9813-C9864FCDD28A.jpeg

This is befuddling me.. I'm gunna clean my portafilter then brew another one.

linty1

My wallet cries.
OKAY.... I can visually see the grinds are finer... seems to be ok? I checked the portafilter to see if it was leaking or had blown threw? or something.... seems also ok. grind setting down to 9.. results........better:

C833A277-C0CE-414A-9B98-9BA636E7C99E.jpeg

But it was still a quicker pull than I like,

C20066E5-92F6-40CB-96BC-C85AC36418F7.jpeg

Finer tomorrow then. I got a wiff of honey during the pull... :) Phew. PHEW. At least now it feels like I'm on the right path again.

OKAY.... I can visually see the grinds are finer... seems to be ok? I checked the portafilter to see if it was leaking or had blown threw? or something.... seems also ok. grind setting down to 9.. results........better:

View attachment 1282898

But it was still a quicker pull than I like,

View attachment 1282901

Finer tomorrow then. I got a wiff of honey during the pull... :) Phew. PHEW. At least now it feels like I'm on the right path again.
From some reading in the past and from limited experience, I believe it is difficult to get a normal shot of espresso from decaf beans. I rarely drink decaf and rarely try to use it for espresso, I usually brew it in a pour-over.

Nice to see your progress and getting better results.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Yeh.. today's pull was also so-so
F24CF796-9EC3-4904-AA40-DEA9DE9451ED.jpeg

But I'm feeling more resistance as I pull and the meter is starting to give me higher bars, I was hovering around 5?

But I've never been this fine before grind wise, I'd imagine the burrs are almost touching at this point. I might just stop it at 7 ish and call it. I wonder if machines have like.. a contigency separation distance for burrs so that even if you hit "0" they won't grind together?

Oh also this cup is kinda neat, whatever you pour into it, colours the mountains that colour:

1B785C47-A477-4630-834E-689217D4D801.jpeg

The americano was so-so. Although I like the idea of decaf, this might be my last bag for a while. I'll try again in the future, and after this bag I'll just enjoy coffee more sparingly.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I pulled a short shot of the Sweet Maria's New Classic espresso blend-- the first sample of the first roast.

Not bad at all! I think I'm going to like this stuff. Very nutty with some stone fruit in there. Plenty of chocolate, but this roast got more straight cocoa powder. A bit sharp, but it's only on one day's rest. I would like more body and sweetness, so I think I'll slow the ramp and development a little and drop a tiny bit earlier. Of course, I need to see how it progresses and rounds out over the next week or so.

linty1

My wallet cries.
AC5F4E1A-04ED-43CA-B0B3-6C5B2A0F010D.jpeg

Was talking coffee a while back with a colleague and they mentioned this instant "Canyon Coffee" and gave me a pack to try, did some googling and it gets good reviews? Tried it... and its.. actually alright/good? It tastes like coffee!

Now for the bad news: I searched around for more and it costs $26cad for 6 sachets of it. No thank you. I'll keep a jar of ucc or Mount Hagen in the back drawer at work for emergencies instead. I also see Mount Hagen now comes in one use/cup packs now, don't even need to fuss with a spoon anymore.

edit update:
6A238B16-4F4F-43AC-B1BC-1DAB46836DD8.jpeg

I took a photo of the coffee.... black coffee in a black mug. Sorry its hard to see, but there you go.

linty1

My wallet cries.
86EF1FD7-778E-4332-9241-2E9418437C64.jpeg

I think I may have found something I like with these decaf beans: the french press. Not a bad cup!

The post above makes me wanna try with the moka pot, but we'll see.

Good article. Not sure I’m going to run out and increase my life insurance quite yet 🤔, but I havent used a paper filter in forever.

Top Bottom