What's new

What's your closest-shaving cream?

Creams have so many aspects we enjoy---lather, fragrance, slickness, etc.

Which one can you count on to give you the flat-out closest shave, all other considerations aside?

Proraso seems to do it for me, or KMF over a base of King of Shaves gel.

I think my answer might change from time to time, but recently Speick and Tabac, when I used them consistently during the flavor of the months, surprised me with how close a shave they consistently provided. I wouldn't have said either of them before that. Especially the Tabac, as I've always preferred Tabac soap over cream, but I'm just not sure that's true now.

Believe it or not, Paraso! I have a lot of high end creams and soaps like Castle Forbes, C&E in the creams and Pens, Tabac in the soaps and this stuff just amazes me. It tends to dry my skin a tad but, for me, it just gives me close, close, shaves kinda spooky really. I may be that my skin is partially numb and I tend to be more aggressive, I don't know. I am going to try Musgo though because I have heard before that it is a really good cream.

Take Care,
Richard

Last edited:
As much as I praise AoS sandalwood, TOBS Avocado would truly be my "choose only one" cream. It has given me the least nonsense, the least regrets, a softer dent in my wallet than others, my wrist more relaxed, and my nose less than fatigued while still excited.

TOBS Avacado is amazing but that AoS Sandalwood and Lemon creams are tasty! I smell them every night before bed and rub all my brushes on my face:001_wub:

First off, let me say I have tried about 30 different creams in almost 3 years of wet-shaving. My regular rotation right now Tabac, Musgo, Proraso, and Spieck, rotated with the seasons. Right now, I'm on Tabac.

But the OP asked about the closest shaving cream? It has to be C&E's Sweet Almond Oil, a discontinued product that became extinct about 2 years ago, and is now all in the hands of private shavers.

The smell is a little on the bitter side, but it is mild enough that it doesn't get in the way ... but if you want a cream that will soak in to your beard and lubricate and moistuize and all those good verbs, SAO is the one.

Without a doubt, SAO cream was the best shave I ever got. Didn't matter what else was in my rotation regarding brushes (or lack thereof) or razor or blade ... SAO pulled a BBS every single time.

Last edited:
I am kinda surprised to hear Musgo considering I have 2 friends which completely hate the stuff... I will try Musgo though to make up my own mind but my own personal favorite so far, and trust me I haven't tried many being new to DE shaving but it has to be Trumpers Rose. I love the smell and I get a fantastic shave out of it.

Top Bottom