What's new

What's your Chrono?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What is your preferred chronograph and have you used others? I started out with the original PACT chrono years ago until the unit failed beyond repair (returned once for repair after years of use) and currently have a PACT Professional. I'm over sky screens. I have a Magnetospeed, which works great, but doesn't work with all firearm designs. I'm seriously considering the LabRadar unit, pricey but way cool. So what is your preferred chrono?

Shooting Chrony F1 Master has served me well about 20 years.

I have a friend with a Lab Radar. I have seen it in action. It fails to pickup the shot more often than it should for what it cost.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The LabRadar is certainly not without it's quirks and criticisms. It seems, from what I've read and seen online, it rarely tracts bullets beyond 50 yds. "Aiming" it is problematic, but there are some DIY or aftermarket devices that seem to help with that. Sensitivity can be adjusted so that adjacent shooters don't trigger the chrono to give false readings. There are other quirky aspects of the unit, but it seems most can be worked through.

Started out with a Shooting Chrony F1 and now use a ProChrono digital. I have used a friends
LabRadar and while I believe the doppler system used by LabRadar is more accurate I can't justify the price.
If I were into serious benchrest shooting I would certainly go with the LabRadar.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm not into serious bench rest, but I am into accuracy. Did some F-class shooting in the past. The techno geek aspect intrigues me, may finally get me to use Excell. I would like to get into serious load development and the LabRadar with it's data downloaded to Excell would greatly facilitate that. Of course you can do it all with any other chrono and without using Excell, but it would be possibly more efficient, a bit less trial and error.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
6.5guys.com discus a lot of precision reloading techniques and gear reviews, youtube videos, etc.

6.5guys.com discus a lot of precision reloading techniques and gear reviews, youtube videos, etc.

Thanks for the link, used to frequent reloaders nest but seems the site was taken down a few years ago.
When I was younger I was into precision, at some point I decided accuracy was good enough.You have given some food for thought. If I end up digging out my case gauge, neck turner and competition dies I'm going to blame you lol.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My MagnetoSpeed V2 does all that I need a chrono to do. I did a lot more load development in the past than I do now so my needs have shifted.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I need to rig a way to use my MagnetoSpeed with my AR pistol as there is not enough exposed barrel to attach to. I need to do some serious .300 BO load development. There are aftermarket devices that you can attach to your gun so that the MS "bayonette" is not attached to the barrel, for those who are concerned with POI shift. I need a similar DIY solution.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I just ordered some 1" aluminum tubing, some cheap UTG 1" QD scope rings and some M-Lok Picatinny rail sections with which I intend to cobble together an off the barrel mount for the MagnetoSpeed to use with my AR pistol. If it works out, I'll post pics of my contraption.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I just ordered some 1" aluminum tubing, some cheap UTG 1" QD scope rings and some M-Lok Picatinny rail sections with which I intend to cobble together an off the barrel mount for the MagnetoSpeed to use with my AR pistol. If it works out, I'll post pics of my contraption.

Subscribed. :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I need to rig a way to use my MagnetoSpeed with my AR pistol as there is not enough exposed barrel to attach to. I need to do some serious .300 BO load development. There are aftermarket devices that you can attach to your gun so that the MS "bayonette" is not attached to the barrel, for those who are concerned with POI shift. I need a similar DIY solution.
Magnetospeed offers a picatinny adatper.

You'd think they'd offer a rail mount.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

They do...

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It's custom as hell! Kind of a Rube Goldberg approach. I tried a combination of High and Low height scope rings, but it looks like the proper combo is Medium and High, so I ordered a set of Mediums before I realized that there was an adapter. They should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully that will provide the proper offset to be coaxial with the bore of the barrel. If not, I got a bunch of cheap scope mounts on hand to go into the parts box. I'll probably end up ordering the MS adapter in any event, but I want to see if my idea works just for S's & G's.
C13749E4-3F82-4F96-8FBB-BD510AA8E90A.jpeg
07E57D97-A4BD-4260-BC80-879FAD2ACFD1.jpeg
888ABFCF-433C-48FC-BE91-20767409013F.jpeg
888ABFCF-433C-48FC-BE91-20767409013F.jpeg
C54CBC55-BAF7-4113-ABB6-BE01C5BB4995.jpeg

Still in the prototype stage. Some of the pics are out of order. As you can see, the "false muzzle" does not line up with the barrel quite right. The MagnetoSpeed would be mounted on the false muzzel. The long support tube could stand to be trimmed down a bit.

Attachments

• D10CBAFB-E494-4655-8DD5-988B3E099A8D.jpeg
    D10CBAFB-E494-4655-8DD5-988B3E099A8D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Top Bottom