What's new

What's your choice in bullet casting pots?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thinking about bullet casting again, did some limited casting years ago, used an iron pot over a propane flame and a dipper to hand pour. Not doing that again. What's your choice of furnace? Particularly interested in currently available products. Not particularly interested in LEE anything, though I know it works, sort of.

The RCBS Pro Melt bottom pour furnace is more expensive because it's worth it. Used ones usually go $150-200. People refer to the Lee as a "drip-o-matic" for a reason.

I ladle cast rifle bullets, they seem more consistent. I have used a propane stove as you mentioned, not going back to that. I have been using the Lyman Big Dipper pot for that, that i customized by adding a PID controller. I recently purchased (used) a larger RCBS dipper pot with a factory PID for that but haven't had time to try it. I use a Rowell #2 ladle which is probably overkill.
For bulk pistol bullets the bottom pour is the winner hands down. There's an outfit producing a shelf to go under it to replace their wire mold guide, it too is well worth the money.

All this does add up to a large cash outlay but working with NICE tools is worth it to me when I'm going to be spending HOURS using them.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I was concerned with some of the reviews of the RCBS Pro-Melt 2, which the above kit does not fit. Didn't see any older models on the 'bay.

I've been casting for 35 years, using products from most manufacturers. I currently use an ancient Lee 10lb bottom pour electric furnace. It leaks if the spout picks up a little dirt, (same as my Lyman did) so I clean it and it stops leaking. I also have a 4 lb electric dipper pot (also ancient Lee) in which I keep pure lead for shotgun and smokepole slugs. You can't go wrong with either Lyman or RCBS. Good gear can often be found at gun shows too, sometimes for cheap. If I was going to buy a new furnace, I'd probably go with RCBS. You can't beat RCBS customer service, and their build quality is excellent.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I would love to learn how to cast for 10mm. sounds expensive to set up unless you have a whole list of calibers to cast for?

I have two Lyman 20lb pots that I have been using for about 25 years.

I found an NOS Sievert burner and pot a few months back in a hardware store. So I'm currently building a bottom-pour to fit on the burner. I picked up the bottom plate on Friday.

From calculations it looks like it will hold 50kgs when/if full. When I saw that number I figured that my welding skills are not up to this and I am going to have this properly welded so I am going to start looking for a welder tomorrow.

Last edited:
I would love to learn how to cast for 10mm. sounds expensive to set up unless you have a whole list of calibers to cast for?
The Lyman Big Dipper pot is around $45, you'd need a ladle, lead and a mold. I'd go with either Hitek or powder coating, eliminating the need for a traditional lubrisizer that also applies wax based lube and go with a Lee push through sizer, probably .402 that can be used on your regular single stage or turret press. You'll want a dedicated toaster oven fir eithern Since 10mm can be a costly mistress to feed probably worth the setup cost. If it were me I'd go with an aluminum NOE 4 or 5 cavity mold and my favorite, the Rowell #2 ladle. Rotometals or advancedcarmover.com are competitively priced but after shipping Amazon might be close enough. Lee molds are cheaper but me last 44 mold made oval shaped bullets, useless.

Send your wife links to some of these things when she asks what you want for Christmas, so much better than socks.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

The Lyman Big Dipper pot is around $45, you'd need a ladle, lead and a mold. I'd go with either Hitek or powder coating, eliminating the need for a traditional lubrisizer that also applies wax based lube and go with a Lee push through sizer, probably .402 that can be used on your regular single stage or turret press. You'll want a dedicated toaster oven fir eithern Since 10mm can be a costly mistress to feed probably worth the setup cost. If it were me I'd go with an aluminum NOE 4 or 5 cavity mold and my favorite, the Rowell #2 ladle. Rotometals or advancedcarmover.com are competitively priced but after shipping Amazon might be close enough. Lee molds are cheaper but me last 44 mold made oval shaped bullets, useless.

Send your wife links to some of these things when she asks what you want for Christmas, so much better than socks.

Great post Randy! This is good stuff, thanks for this. And a Christmas list is a great idea! :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It can be expensive to start up, but like anything, you get what you pay for. No doubt you will save in the long run if you shoot a lot of cast bullets. Now that I'm shooting more, I need to start casting.

OkieStubble

It can be expensive to start up, but like anything, you get what you pay for. No doubt you will save in the long run if you shoot a lot of cast bullets. Now that I'm shooting more, I need to start casting.

i wouldn't mind trying to get in some hog hunting with my Glock 20 and making my own bullets for it sounds fun!

Hog hunting makes me think "go heavy". Big flat meplat. Looking at Hodgdon's online data you can expect to move this around 1100fps from a 5 inch barrel. The hollow point version a little lighter. No need for a gas check at that speed. If you're running it in a carbine at 1600+ maybe.

He's got lighter, pointier stuff if you'd rather go lighter/faster with perhaps a bit more penetration. That 170gr truncated cone might be a winner as well and could likely break 1300fps.

I haven't gotten into 40 caliber but if/when I do 10mm is how it'll happen. I noticed online a used one (Glock 20) is in stock at my LGS for under $400. If I didn't already have two rifles on layaway already I'd put it on layaway Tuesday, that's a killer price it seems to me.

...used an iron pot over a propane flame and a dipper to hand pour. Not doing that again.

I am curious, What was objectionable about the pot & dipper?
I use a liquid fuel (gasoline) Coleman stove & an iron pot.

One need not spend much money IF one does not want to spend much money.
I use a Lee mold with their tumble lube system (I load as cast, no sizing).
I reload for revolver (simple to do).
I do not know if reloading for autos requires anything more elaborate.

Jody

OkieStubble

Hog hunting makes me think "go heavy". Big flat meplat. Looking at Hodgdon's online data you can expect to move this around 1100fps from a 5 inch barrel. The hollow point version a little lighter. No need for a gas check at that speed. If you're running it in a carbine at 1600+ maybe.

He's got lighter, pointier stuff if you'd rather go lighter/faster with perhaps a bit more penetration. That 170gr truncated cone might be a winner as well and could likely break 1300fps.

I haven't gotten into 40 caliber but if/when I do 10mm is how it'll happen. I noticed online a used one (Glock 20) is in stock at my LGS for under $400. If I didn't already have two rifles on layaway already I'd put it on layaway Tuesday, that's a killer price it seems to me.

I didn't realize how expensive moulds would be. If you can get a Used Glock 20 for less then $400 I would jump on that. I got mine and 3 mags for $400. New is around $579 before tax. The newer 20's are already coming with rifled barrels that are fully supported, but getting a used one for under $400 justifies getting an aftermarket supported barrel for cast.

I didn't realize how expensive moulds would be. If you can get a Used Glock 20 for less then $400 I would jump on that. I got mine and 3 mags for $400. New is around $579 before tax. The newer 20's are already coming with rifled barrels that are fully supported, but getting a used one for under $400 justifies getting an aftermarket supported barrel for cast.
Only issue is it's on consignment so it has to be paid out in less time than I usually take. I may hold out for the long slide version too.

I get cranky about Lee "Precision". A lot of my friends are happy with their molds. The only one I've bought new was essentially scrap metal. For getting a feel for how you like casting one of their two cavity molds WILL get your feet wet and let you decide how you like casting, CHEAP. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose in the Lee Lottery. NOE makes a premium product. I tend to not think about the price because I like tools for the tool's sake, much the way some of these guys will dump $300 on a razor without batting an eye.

Lee makes some things that are unique and useful. The Classic Cast turret press, push through sizer dies, factory crimp and universal expander dies are gold. Other of their products are great in theory but come out lacking. I modded (added a PID) a Lyman Big Dipper pot for a friend because he liked mine. I was procrastinating a long while and his Lee bottom pour died so I loaned him my RCBS pot to use (I hadn't even had a chance to use it yet at this point) until I finished his ladle pot. He liked it enough that he bought the next one that showed up used (another great enable by me, I found it). He ordered the shelf the same day. At least half the guys I know with Lee pots have plugged the drip with a screw and use a ladle. Ad Astra apparently got a good one, nothing wrong with that.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I am curious, What was objectionable about the pot & dipper?
I use a liquid fuel (gasoline) Coleman stove & an iron pot.

It was just slow. In all actuality, I will use an iron pot over a flame to reclaim lead and cast into ingots. Those will then be used in an electric bottom pour pot for the casting of actual bullets.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My old ingot mold, iron pot and dipper have become more than a bit rusty. What's the best way to clean them up for casting ingots again? Other than brushing off the loose flakes of rust, should/can anything else be done? Will any rust particle contaminants just float to the top of the melt and be easily removed as dross?

Yes, the loose stuff will float out with the other impurities when you flux.

Started out casting round balls while in high school in the late 60's. Dad had a gas burner with an iron pot & a ladle he made. Worked OK, but my current (45 year old) Lee Bottom Pour works better. Today I cast several roundball sizes, pistol and rifle, and a minie ball. The bottom pour handles even the bigger caliber casting perfectly.

No drips when you pay attention.

Top Bottom