What's new

What's your cheapest/best bang-for-your-buck part of your shaving routine?

A big process of our weird little hobby is trial and error. It can also get pricey: Trying new soaps/creams/blades/aftershaves/razors, etc. Of course, buying things we don't need is pretty much built into the hobby for a lot of us.

But sometimes there's a high-value item that we use almost every shave that is nice and cheap: It does the job, and costs very little. For me, this is Vaseline hand-lotion: It works as my after-shave balm and keeps my skin from drying out. Between Oct and May, I use it every shave. That, and a jar of it costs me about $8 and has lasted for a good 2.5 years. Not sure about everyone else, but finding something that works this well and is that inexpensive makes the cheap b*stard in me smile.

So, what's your high-value item? Something you love and use all the time that costs you almost nothing?

Balea natural bristle brush around 5€
Does quite a good job
Metal part I glued with hot glue so I could use that stand I like
20210404_092000~2.jpg
20210404_092823~2.jpg

Alum block
Thayer's Witch hazel
Razorock Synthetic plissoft brush
Indian shaving blades
Indian shaving creams (occasional use)

A big process of our weird little hobby is trial and error. It can also get pricey: Trying new soaps/creams/blades/aftershaves/razors, etc. Of course, buying things we don't need is pretty much built into the hobby for a lot of us.

But sometimes there's a high-value item that we use almost every shave that is nice and cheap: It does the job, and costs very little. For me, this is Vaseline hand-lotion: It works as my after-shave balm and keeps my skin from drying out. Between Oct and May, I use it every shave. That, and a jar of it costs me about $8 and has lasted for a good 2.5 years. Not sure about everyone else, but finding something that works this well and is that inexpensive makes the cheap b*stard in me smile.

So, what's your high-value item? Something you love and use all the time that costs you almost nothing?

William's Mug Soap. I bought 24 pucks and they last about six months a puck.
Astra-SP blades. $6.99/100. I get about 130 shaves/blade.

Thayers

And not used every shave, but quite often, my Omega Premium boar brush or my Zenith olive wood-handled unbleached boar brush.

Alum block
Thayer's Witch hazel
Razorock Synthetic plissoft brush
Indian shaving blades
Indian shaving creams (occasional use)

A razorock Plissoft is my main brush as well: I've got an Omega boar but it very rarely gets a spot in the rotation.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (as a post-shave balm). It's been a year and I've yet to see the bottom of the jar.

Top Bottom