What's new

What's Your Breakfast?

Every Saturday for the past few months I've been making a nice 6-egg omelette to share with the family (3 of us). Dice and fry 1/2 a sweet onion, 1/2 a bell pepper and something interesting (tomato, olives, artichoke hearts). Move that to a plate or bowl and pour in the scrambled eggs. When it's almost cooked through I sprinkle shredded cheese over it, then the cooked veggies, then fold it over and let sit/melt for a few minutes.

I love when my 12 yo says "wow Dad, this is really good!"

Biscuit with bacon gravy and tomato on the side.
7452D6B6-4F11-4D21-B531-A058E526E6F7.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mrs. Hippie has a real love for Red River Cereal. Gloom and dark days pervaded Chez Hippie when the news arrived that an Evil Corporate Greedhead Combine...oops...Smucker's had decided that it was no longer something they would make. Historic Arva Mills in Canada bought the rights and returned the recipe to its original form (using cracked grains instead of steel-cut). Shortly after that a UPS sled-driver mushed up the valley and tossed a case of the stuff over the gate.

Personally? Almost any hot cereal tastes like library paste to me, if it's just some wet grain glopped in a bowl. But add some fruit to it and I'm a happy camper. So this morning Mrs. Hippie cooked up a pot of Red River Cereal and put it over some chopped baked apple.

Delicious. We're supposed to get smacked by a winter storm today into tomorrow, so I'll be out doing stuff to keep the place functioning. To steal a phrase from Garrison Keillor: "It gives you the strength to get up and do what needs to be done."

O.H.

Breakfast burrito---scrambled eggs with sautéed onion and green pepper, bacon and spicy breakfast sausage on a flour tortilla, topped with shredded cheddar and mild salsa. Also some fried hashbrowns with salsa on top.

Top Bottom