What's new

What's Your Breakfast?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mrs. Hippie really likes waffles. Yesterday she asked if I'd be willing to make some for breakfast this morning. "Of course, my sweet. No task is too arduous to prove my enduring affection." She's also got a nose for sarcasm.

As we were preparing to drift off into our slumbers last night I heard, "Are you still willing to make waffles in the morning?" Sensing the direction of the prevailing winds, I assured her in the affirmative.

She's an early riser who likes some alone time to get the day started. I was a professional early riser, and years of getting up between 3:00 and 5:00 for various jobs have given me a deep appreciation for still being in bed when the sun pops over the mountains. :) When I stumbled into the kitchen blinking and mumbling she asked once again whether waffles might be forthcoming.

I've made waffles a lot of ways. While I like a good buttermilk waffle as much as the next enthusiast, I much prefer sourdough. The very first cookbook I bought myself straight outta the gate was a sourdough book, which I still have. I make sourdough bread, biscuits, pancakes and pizza crust but have for some reason struggled with any sourdough waffle recipe I've tried. Some of them are too labour intensive, requiring separation of the eggs and whipping the whites to soft peak before folding them into the recipe with melted butter. Others yield a product that might work well for...oh, I don't know...ballasting a ship, perhaps.

About a year ago I finally caught up with the pandemic sourdough fad, and picked up some more recent texts on the subject. I came across a recipe for waffles using "discard" that is my new go-to. A cup of discard collected when refreshing the starter, couple eggs, little sugar, pinch of salt, couple-three tablespoons of buckwheat flour. Whomp all that together and then beat in a pinch or two of baking soda, being careful not to use too much and create a sourdough volcano. It's happened. :)

My waffle iron is actual iron, a Griswold American #8 that fits on the stove. The batch is just the size to give us two apiece, good enough to start the day. Occasionally I'll make a bigger batch and freeze the extras to heat up in the toaster later.

O.H.

Reactions: ctr
Breakfast burritos---scrambled egg, bacon, sausage, ham, shredded cheese, onion, Pace Salsa. Darned good food to start the day.

Reactions: ctr
Saturday got the hankering to make some homemade biscuits for sausage egg sandwiches...

bizct1.jpg

bizct2.jpg

They were good on Sunday with gravy as well.....

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Got a wild hair a while back and decided that a life spent not making crumpets may need some reevaluation. Ordered some custom hand-made stainless steel crumpet rings because the usual go-to, a tuna can with the bottom cut out, just does not exist in our house.

The first effort wasn't a total success but it was suggestive of such. This morning was a couple of toasted crumpets and a fried egg.

O.H.

Mostly steamed brown Basmati rice (Riviana brand, in Australia, avoid the bland generic Coles & Woolies stuff). Plus Stevia powder for sweetener or sometimes rice malt or table molasses, and chopped fruit, usually banana (added after cooking).

Sometimes oats, but a big fan of good Basmati rice.

Only downside is that it takes 40-50 min to cook. But I just set it up first thing in the morning in the microwave, and go do other stuff like shower & shave (of course) while it is cooking.

By coincidence today's breakfast has just finished cooking and is cooling as we speak. :drool:

Top Bottom