What's new

What's your best performing hard soap?

Tabac - though I can't handle the scent

Then the soon-to-be-gone-forever Sir Irisch Moos is the perfect antidote. Same soap, better scent. Just grate into a bowl or mug if sticks aren't your thing.

And is it possible that we're 4 or 5 pages into this thread and nobody has mentioned the completely wonderful Valobra stick? I think its stick form and subtle soapy scent works to keep its popularity down.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Tallow based I would say AOS and Harris, and MWF; tallow-free Floris and Trumper's Rose.
However, I think the best hard soaps are the vintage ones....

The D.R. Harris Arlington that I have is my favorite soap. Fantastic scent and great performance. Will definately buy another

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
No One seems to have mentioned it, but Czech and Speake, aka Valobra tallow.

Cheers, Steve

I would vote for MWF and Tabac. Both are really great. Tabac is my fave but just by a whisker. As for Arko, I found the performance to be average and the scent to be less than average.

C&E Nomad...probably the most under rated soap on this list. Also Muhle Sea Buckthorn is a wonderful soap that stays under the radar around here

agreed, C&E soaps and in general, their products don't get the air time and chatter they so rightly deserve.

agreed, C&E soaps and in general, their products don't get the air time and chatter they so rightly deserve.

Newer or older C&E formula? The consensus here is that the newer C&E formula is terrible, and my experience with the newer Sienna would agree with that. The lather was thin, bubbly, disappearing. It was completely useless as a shaving soap and is the very worst shaving soap that I've tried. I ended up using it as a bath/shower soap. This "newer" formula that I'm referring to is several years old (so not that "new"), and I believe still the current formula. Supposedly the older formula was very good. There was a B&B thread about the worst shaving soaps not long ago, and several members mentioned the newer C&E soaps as the worst.

If I recall correctly, the older formula had "Potassium..." as the first ingredient, and the newer formula had "Sodium..." as the first ingredient.

Top Bottom