What's new

What's your ancestry?

Well for me it's German Jewish Mother (late 80's now) and Scottish father (gone now). But I have a half brother and sister who have an Irish father. Weird family and Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays were a real pain.

According to Wikipedia (har-har), some members of a Bantu tribe called the Mbo from Cameroon possess the oldest known Y-DNA haplogroup, which has been named A00. This recently discovered haplogroup is thought to be roughly 200,000 years old, which is consistent with anatomically modern humans. It is considered to be the oldest because it is the most divergent.

It is unclear to me whether it really originated with the Mbo tribe or if they got it from the San people of the Kalahari, because the San have the highest prevalence of Y-DNA haplogroup A, and they also possess the oldest known mitochondrial lineage. The Bantu subjugated the San, and I would not be surprised if haplogroup A00 was once common to both tribes.

Everyone on the planet should be descended from the distant ancestors of the Mbo and San people who possess the oldest Y-DNA and mitochondrial lineages. Some of us may also have some Denisovan and Neanderthal DNA too. Of course, many people would dismiss this out of hand, and that is understandable. I do not think anyone should blindly accept what scientists say just because something seems plausible. The theory or supposition still has to pass the smell test.
Last week I saw part of the first episode of PBS’s First Peoples, a five-part documentary series, which included a segment highlighting this A00 DNA. That story was animated by an African American womans search for her origin.

Later in this same episode my jaw dropped when a scientist casually stated that humans could interbreed with monkeys when discussing a segment on mating between two modern monkey species/sub-species. Ignoring that lady in Connecticut with the chimp, I can only imagine some mad scientist attempting that.

Last week I saw part of the first episode of PBS’s First Peoples, a five-part documentary series, which included a segment highlighting this A00 DNA. That story was animated by an African American womans search for her origin.

Later in this same episode my jaw dropped when a scientist casually stated that humans could interbreed with monkeys when discussing a segment on mating between two modern monkey species/sub-species. Ignoring that lady in Connecticut with the chimp, I can only imagine some mad scientist attempting that.

Wowzer, I'll look for that series. Thanks for the tip.

From what I've learned, a human successfully mating with [some of] the apes is biologically impossible due to a different number of chromosomes; we have 23 pairs, and they have 24. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of that is our chromosome #2 seems to have resulted from two of the ape chromosomes that were fused. Furthermore, and just speaking about DNA sequencing of the base pairs, human and apes have 95% of identically genetic material. But then that raises the question of coding (basically transcription/translation into proteins) vs. non-coding segments or as some have theorized, "junk DNA", that may or may not, still have some regulatory function.

From your link:

The humanzee (also known as the Chuman or Manpanzee) is a hypothetical chimpanzee/human hybrid. Chimpanzees and humans are closely related (sharing 95% of their DNA sequence and 99% of coding DNA sequences), leading to contested speculation that a hybrid is possible.

My numbers were a bit off and I wanted to post this correction.

Well this conversation took a completely different route than I thought it would. I just wanted to hear about all of the places people come from and the stories they had about their families arriving where they are now. Sort of like having a virtual grandfather tell me stories between puffs on a pipe on a rainy day indoors or something. I never intended to make this an issue of race or making someone feel insignificant or detailed arguments about genetics and anthropology. That thought never even crossed my mind as I posted it. Shame.

Last edited:
Well this conversation took a completely different route than I thought it would. I just wanted to hear about all of the places people come from and the stories they had about their families arriving where they are now. Sort of like having a virtual grandfather tell me stories between puffs on a pipe on a rainy day indoors or something. I never intended to make this an issue of race or making someone feel insignificant or detailed arguments about genetics and anthropology. That thought never even crossed my mind as I posted it. Shame.

+1. Went way of the tracks.

Shall I get it back on track, eleuther0s?

On my mother's side, I'm German and Czech. On my father's side, I'm English, Scottish, and Irish.

This interactive map of Europe, Asia Minor, and Northern Africa is a really great resource that shows how much of our ancestries developed (for those tracing their roots back to these areas, of course). It also helps demonstrate how many of the Indo-European languages (Particularly Italic, Celtic, & Germanic) moved and developed. Because my wife and I are able to trace some of our ancestry back to the middle to late Medieval era, the map was helpful for me in putting into perspective the story leading up to those ancestors. Have fun!

Here's also an interactive map of the "Cradle of Civilization", showing the area surrounding modern Iraq from 4500 BC.

Last edited:

The road to Thread Tangents is paved with good intentions. :tongue_sm

I'm a true American. Which is a nice way of saying I'm a human mutt. Mostly British Irish and Scottish blood which is a weird mix when you think about it, born and raised in Southern California. My last name is Justice which is Scottish according to my sister. Someone way back when was a constable or magistrate I think she said. Supposedly we have a family crest which she seems to find exciting. If she ever finds out that I'm technically a lord with a family castle or something then ill be impressed...Come to think of it Loard Justice does have a nice ring to it...hmmm

There is one cool family story now that I think about it. My grandmother's brother...which would be what? My Uncle or grand uncle? Anyways he was on a bomber that was shot down I believe on D Day over France. The copilot was killed the pilot broke both legs and my uncle and some other guy got off with some bumps and bruises. The pilot ordered both my uncle or grand uncle, whatever he is to take off and leave him. The other guy ran for his life but my uncle refused even when the pilot threatened to see him cort marshaled. It took them like 2 months or something to get back because the French were smuggling them from house to house. Oh yeah like most of the men in my family he was a Freemason. Anyways he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (which is the second highest medal you can get) and a Silver Star for some other thing don't remember what. When he passed away he got the full on military service. Bugle player, rifles firing the whole deal. I don't remember the jets doing the missing man formation but they did do the flag thing. Ill have to check but I seem to remember they put something on his headstone as well. I was young though so I could be wrong.

Why aren't there more non-Americans posting here in this thread?

Interest in your own history surely isn't an American-only thing for sure?

Like I already said earlier; half German, half Dutch here.

I think I'm mostly German and English. As far as I know, 3 of my 4 grandparents are of at least some German heritage with my maternal grandfather having English heritage. Growing up my parents mentioned German, English, Scottish, Dutch, and Swedish, but I haven't seen any last names that corroborate the Scottish, Dutch, and Swedish.

I was poking around the internet a while back trying to find information on my maternal grandfather's family and came across this article that a distant cousin on my grandfather's side of the family had written years ago. The names of my grandfathers parents and description of his mother's death are accurate, so I know at least that part of the history is accurate.

Top Bottom