What's new

What's with super market prices?

I always keep a few carts on hand for when my skin allergies flaire up and I can't use either my SE or DE razors. I'm keen on the sensor triple or the new Gillette twin. Anyhow yesterday while in Sainsbury's I noticed I could by four sensor triple blade carts for £5.58 (on offer) or eight sensor triple disposable and carts for £3.83 not on offer. I've removed the carts from the throw aways before with no issues but what is going on? We're supposed to be helping the environment by recycling but its cheaper to buy 8 through aways including the handle instead of just four carts. I asked a staff member and was told to look at the web site for info on recycling.

Anyone notice this? Or am I just being an old man........again?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I work in a Supermarket here in Australia. Prices of ALL shaving products seem high to me. The only DE blades that we sell are Indian Wilkinson Swords which cost $14.00 Australian for 10 blades. Our carts prices are quite expensive. Most seem to sell for around the $15.00 Australia for a 5 carts pack. I only buy carts when they are deleted from our range and marked down heavily. My dad is a cart user so I normally get them for him and the odd one for myself.

It just seems strange that here in the UK its cheaper to buy a pack of disposable razors, remove the carts for your own metal handle, than it is to buy just the carts.

I always keep a few carts on hand for when my skin allergies flaire up and I can't use either my SE or DE razors. I'm keen on the sensor triple or the new Gillette twin. Anyhow yesterday while in Sainsbury's I noticed I could by four sensor triple blade carts for £5.58 (on offer) or eight sensor triple disposable and carts for £3.83 not on offer. I've removed the carts from the throw aways before with no issues but what is going on? We're supposed to be helping the environment by recycling but its cheaper to buy 8 through aways including the handle instead of just four carts. I asked a staff member and was told to look at the web site for info on recycling.

Anyone notice this? Or am I just being an old man........again?
Nope, it's not new. I only buy Mach3 disposables and remove the heads. Sometimes I can't even be bothered doing that.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Supermarkets, in my experience, you really need to comparison shop. On the things I buy frequently, I notice a lot of price variation between different stores. Since there are several stores in a small radius, I will buy the best priced from each if I have the time.

Sometimes it does seem like idiocy has free reign in pricing, sadly that's the world we live in.

BTW, you can recycle any and all shaving equipment here. Partnership with Terracyle and Gillette, but they take ANY brand of gear. Gillette® Razor Recycling Program

I think it boils down to perceived competition. If you are using a cartridge "system" they feel they have you "locked in" with the handle and are less likely to move to a competitor's "system" as it would also require a new handle. This is why they also do things like patent the way the handle and head connect...so you don't have other choices for a while. To me, that last bit is an abomination of the real purpose of parents.
If youuse a disposable, they don't have you "locked in" and, it is much easier to change. There are also more options as some manufacturers are disposables only including house brands.

Top Bottom