What's new

What's up with this Pre de Provence No.63 shave cream that I bought?

Haven’t tried the cream but like the soap body hair was and the scent. Read an article the other day on the correlation to Yankee candle reviews saying there is no scent to covid case increases. Can two tubes be bad? Possibly but check out your sniffer 😁🤔
My sniffer is pretty good🤣

I have the shaving soap and was not exactly impressed either. The scent smells like an something an old man would wear. Performance is just ok, nothing special.

I have the shaving soap and was not exactly impressed either. The scent smells like an something an old man would wear. Performance is just ok, nothing special.
Boy are you using a different product! Just curious, other than this, what is the scent an "old man would wear"? And how old are you?? :001_rolle

Side note: Just opened a rosemary mint body bar from PdP and it’s an excellent performer. The rosemary is light, mint strong and my skin feels great after 2 days use. Still not a 63 scent fan.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Both PdP shaving soap scents are ‘cheap’ scents.

Bergamot and Thyme is a classic everyday (cheap) Provence soap scent. Many everyday cosmetics in Provence have tHis scent, based on my 2016 visit.

63s scent is also cheap and common, I smell it at the grocery store, track, etc.

Performance of the PdP soaps is superb for a straight razor.

Boy are you using a different product! Just curious, other than this, what is the scent an "old man would wear"? And how old are you?? :001_rolle

This is what I bought and was referring to. The scent to me is somewhat spicey or musky. Hard for me to describe what an "old man" scent is, but I know it when I smell it. I prefer soaps and AS that are dupes of colognes. For the record Im 47.

P.S. On the subject of "old man" scents, I recieved a sample of Stirling Barbershop soap and it took me back to staying with my Grandparents during the summer when I was a kid. That stuff smelled like the bathroom after my Grandpa left it after getting ready. I have no idea what he was using back then, but Stirling Barbershop is definitely an "old man"scent. Apologies to anyone who likes it, no offense intended.

Last edited:
Just used the PdP #63 soap again today with my 10065 Omega boar brush. Didn't soak it (but wetted it) and didn't bloom the soap. Still, in a couple minutes, if that, had a perfect lather, nice shave, and, I guess, smell like an old man now... 🤣

BTW, Greg, in about five minutes, you'll be an old man too. You'll see how quickly it goes once you get there and look back. And you'll find your using the same stuff you did all those years ago and someone will tell you you smell like and old man. I started using Old Spice in my 20's and it's still in my small rotation of aftershaves. ;)

So what I'm reading here is that my PDP 63 ain't old or defective. I guess the scent is what it is (which I don't like at all) and the performance for the cream tube is normal (based on what I experienced). Either way, it's going back!
I think this officially ends my PDP intrigue!
Back to my regular TOBS which I love!

P.S. On the subject of "old man" scents, I recieved a sample of Stirling Barbershop soap and it took me back to staying with my Grandparents during the summer when I was a kid. That stuff smelled like the bathroom after my Grandpa left it after getting ready. I have no idea what he was using back then, but Stirling Barbershop is definitely an "old man"scent. Apologies to anyone who likes it, no offense intended.
While I've never tried this version of PdP (but like the bath soaps a lot), I'm sure glad you posted this. I seem to be the only person on this forum that disliked Stirling's Barbershop. Now, I know there's at least one more. I'm also 47. I wonder if that's the key to not liking it? ;) I got baby powder extreme and cookies out of it.

I don't mind Old Spice at all, though, so we're not 100% alike. :D

So what I'm reading here is that my PDP 63 ain't old or defective. I guess the scent is what it is (which I don't like at all) and the performance for the cream tube is normal (based on what I experienced). Either way, it's going back!
I think this officially ends my PDP intrigue!
Back to my regular TOBS which I love!
Ain't nothing wrong with TOBS!

I hope that my "old man scent" comment didn't offend anyone. As that wasn't my intent.

I do realize that I'm getting older and time seems to be flying by. I remember like yesterday bringing my son home from the hospital, now he will be 19 next week.

One of the things I love about this hobby is how many choices we have. Its almost mind boggling sometimes. The beauty of this to me is that as long as your happy with what you are using and getting results that suit you, then you are doing it right.

Top Bottom