What's new

What's up with these $50 shipping charges from Japan?

I find that the shipping charges from Japan (on eBay) range from $14 to $50. The seller with the $50 shipping charge has some nice razors, but I am very leery because of that $50 charge. In some rare instances, the shipping charge is more than the razor. Does anyone have experience with this seller? Every now and then I see a rare item and would be willing to pay the shipping charge. But somehow, I just don't trust the seller.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yes, he’s fine. The $50 shipping is too high, but Japan Post suspended shipping to the US and maybe has not resumed. The increased fees are the result of using FedEx, Yamato, or DHL. The upside is that you’ll have your stuff in 3-5 days.

I find that the shipping charges from Japan (on eBay) range from $14 to $50. The seller with the $50 shipping charge has some nice razors, but I am very leery because of that $50 charge. In some rare instances, the shipping charge is more than the razor. Does anyone have experience with this seller? Every now and then I see a rare item and would be willing to pay the shipping charge. But somehow, I just don't trust the seller.
Can I ask who is the seller your alluding to?
Might this be Covid related because the Japanese Post office has government restraints in shipping to the USA?
I have seen on German sites that have beautiful blades for sale ,shipping exclusions to the USA. If you were willing to pay about $70 they would ship you the merchandise by a package delivery service not the German Post office. The reasons stated were Covid.

I haven't bought anything from him, but did write him about an item and at the time, he couldn't even ship to the US. I have several items of his in my watch list in hopes of EMS opening up shipping to the states and maybe negotiate better shipping rates. I did buy from another seller that charges 30 shipping and was amazed at how fast it got here. But syn3 is legit and nice enough when he wrote back.

We have the same shipping cost to us from him in Japan, that's to the UK it seems very steep this was before covid.

I have bought kitchen knives from Japan $20 would be more typical. But as someone who works for a company that ships a lot of things across oceans I can tell you that global logistics have pretty much gone to heck in a hand basket. Containers are through the roof, and air freight is even worse.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yes, a good bit of international air freight used to go in passenger planes. International passenger planes pretty much stopped for a year. Decrease the supply of shipping capacity and the prices jump.

I have paid an up-charge to get that sweet, fast, non-Japan-Post shipping, but also paid less (from Japan) and gotten things in a plausible time-frame. On that site I just factor the shipping charge in to my yes/no decision. The seller in question cancelled my first order attempt in March due to the Japan Post issue (prompt refund) so I spent the money elsewhere and didn't even try to get him to use FedEx or another shipper. With EMS opening up June 1 in Japan I thought maybe he'd take an order again today but eBay threw up a rejection notice as soon as I tried. I sent a note to ask if it is the Japan Post issue or something about my personal account :)

Not knowing there were issues, ordered razor this past Friday( to much wine[emoji3]), received email Japan Post re-opening 6/1,,,,,,my razor seems was ship by him same date ,, or place in system, hope to receive fast as past order was extremely fast, last month

On the other hand, you used to be able to send by US Post to Japan via surface mail (ie: sea freight) but now the only option is air freight. I was willing to wait a few extra weeks for a fee that was 80% less. This was before COVID19.

??? I just bought a Feather SS for 68 bucks/free shipping. I saw a few from a couple different sellers in the 70 range with free shipping.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Shipping charges from USA to Aus can make things a lot more expensive. So I hear you.

Some carriers resuming traffic out of Japan to the US have added not-so-insignificant surcharges to their invoices.

I just ordered from that seller. He actually emailed me back and said that shipping was back open again and the rate dropped to $30. Still a bit high, but doable.

Never mind Japan - the shipping from the US is pretty exorbitant. I wanted to get a Tony Miller strop and emailed Tony, however, the shipping to Australia was more than the cost of the strop! Don't buy anything from the US because of the shipping costs.

cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Never mind Japan - the shipping from the US is pretty exorbitant. I wanted to get a Tony Miller strop and emailed Tony, however, the shipping to Australia was more than the cost of the strop! Don't buy anything from the US because of the shipping costs.

cheers
Andrew
I had the same experience but decided that the postage cost was worth it.

Remember that almost everything that you purchase has a shipping component built in. If @Tony Miller sold his strops for say USD 150 each he could include "free" worldwide shipping and possibly see no drop in sales.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…

cheers
Andrew

Sadly international postage costs are very high. Priority Mail for a 1 1/2 pound package runs $50 to $60 actual costs to most of the world from here. I tried using First Class International several times over the years but far too many packages went missing for which I had to refund out of pocket, both the strop price and the shipping costs.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…

I have tried to buy vintage camera equipment from Japan and shipping has been running $30-$40 no matter how small the item. Similar trying to buy from Germany to the USA.

Top Bottom