What's new

What's up with REI?

Go in there to look for some outdoorsie clothes and their extra large would barely fit a 14 year old. The sales guy said they make them small and I'm thinking "what for the Asian market". Their own brands are the same. I'm not a big guy but my wife a 5'5" would fit nicely into the "extra lg". I seriously thought it was a mislabeled. He suggested Columbia or other brands which I'll look into but man, I have never seen anything so lopsided in my life. Clothes for munchkins.:a52::cursing:

Maybe Cabelas for grown adults?

I haven't had that experience. I'm 5'10" 165 and I fit nicely in to most medium items they sell. Maybe they run smaller on the women's clothing?

I have noticed that myself with other clothing manufacturers, size has become a fashion statement.
depending on the label I am a medium, large, or extra large.
I wish that they would do away with the M, L, XL, thing and just list the size in inches, or something consistent.

Carhartt wearing red neck.
yup but at least it fits.

Try Marmot. REI only carries a small selection whereby Marmot website has more than their stores. San Fran store has a nice selection.

I am little late to this thread.

I don't know where you have been, but REI has never been and will never be Large and Tall friendly. They don't want that type of clientele. Trust me I know first hand. 3xl tall and that is small to some people I know.

REI was started as a co-op for climbers and other true outdoor types. Since then, they've gone the "apres ski" and tennis route.

I find their clothing sizing investing in that I wear an XLT and 2X. Most XL sizes in many stores run an inch short in the sieves but at REI they seem to be closer to 4-6" short. So much so they look like 3/4 sleeves on me. They seem to be made for little "French" and other Western European guys.

Large framed German and Americans. Not so much.

The size that they make hiking gear says it all.
I am a bigger guy and a backpacker. I need to get a classified 2-person tent otherwise it is like sleeping in a coffin where your shoulders touch the sides and only 36" of head room.

I have not tried clothing at REI. Bought lots of other gear there, but not clothes. I'll have to check out the sizing thing next time I am in there.

Top Bottom