What's new

What's up with razors that seem to beat up your face but don't

I know people have touched on this before, but I wanted to bring it up in detail. How many of you have used a razor that seemed to tug and beat the hell out of your face, only at the end your face is fine?

For example, I have been using a Feathers lately. They "feel" very smooth on my face and I have not found anything that can shave as close as it does with as little pullign and tugging. However, if I'm too agressive, even a little, that thing is going to cut and irritate. I tried a Derby today, and it tugged and pulled and I didn't enjoy the shave. ALthough it didn't get as close as the Feathers, it did a decent job and my face was smooth and no irritation.

So it seems that there is an interesting phenomenon that a smooth feeling or un-smooth feeling shave does not always produce the end result you expect. Any theories?

I've found that the razor also makes a huge difference. When I use my Merkur Progress, I've got to be very careful, but when I use my 58" SS, I can take it every which way and get better results.

Weird

==Tom

I've had shaves where I felt tugging or even what I swore was a nick, only at the end to be surprised by zero irritation and zero blood. Can't really say there was a specific blade/razor that caused that effect. Also, it happened a lot more when I was beginning shaving than more recently.

This is precisely what I experienced when I used the Treet Blue Special recently for a week of shaves. It was not a very comfortable shaving experience but in the end there was no irritation and no nicks.

Top Bottom