What's new

What's up with OC Goodwill razors? My experience is VERY mild shave.

I have a GW OC razor. The baseplate looks similar to an LC New, but it shaves nothing like one.
I'm only able to get a decent shave after 3 passes; WTG, XTG, and ATG. Feels like a 2 pass Tech shave. My other vintage Gillette OC's (New SC and LC, Old, and New Improved) are WAY better shavers.

Similar experiences with y'all?

Cheers!

I find that my Goodwill OC is a little more aggressive than my New LC. They are very similar, but it is just my feeling. They are both based on the New design so I am not sure if it is different blades that give me that impression. I am still evaluating, but they are in my top shavers along with the RazoRock Jaws.

I find that my Goodwill OC is a little more aggressive than my New LC. They are very similar, but it is just my feeling. They are both based on the New design so I am not sure if it is different blades that give me that impression. I am still evaluating, but they are in my top shavers along with the RazoRock Jaws.
+1. Mine is a great shaver. My other go-to razors are New Long and Short Combs, an Old Type and an Ikon Shavecraft 101, just to give the OP some perspective.

My British made French market Goodwill is the best shaving razor in my collection.

It's so smooth I often have to check to make sure I put the blade in the head.

What makes is so good, I don't know, but it will always have a place in my collection.

$empire.jpg

$FMGW.jpg

On the left.
$gwill11.jpg

$gwill1.jpg

I've been using one all this week. It shaves very close to my LC, and I keep it in my regular rotation.

Not sure, the only OC I have used is a GEM SE. Tell you what, send it on my way and I'll shave with it for a week maybe two and let you know what I think and send it back :lol:

Here's some pics of mine. Frankly, I don't get why it's such a poor shaver.

If you're so inclined, I'd be glad to let you try mine, and I'd be curious to try yours, just to see how our results compare. If you want to try it, send me a PM. If not, I completely understand. BTW, mine is a slightly different design, closer to the New, and yours looks to be in much nicer shape.

If you're so inclined, I'd be glad to let you try mine, and I'd be curious to try yours, just to see how our results compare. If you want to try it, send me a PM. If not, I completely understand. BTW, mine is a slightly different design, closer to the New, and yours looks to be in much nicer shape.
Thanks!
PM sent.

In my very limited experience with Goodwills, my observation has been that the cap on yours has been more appropriate to an Old Type GW, and that the New Type GW had a smooth cap with indentations (not perforations) on the underside. Has anyone else had this observation? If so, could that account for the shave the OP has had?

Xillion's pic does show perforations, but without the Art Deco engraving (and the perf shape is different).

Last edited:
In my very limited experience with Goodwills, my observation has been that the cap on yours has been more appropriate to an Old Type GW, and that the New Type GW had a smooth cap with indentations (not perforations) on the underside. Has anyone else had this observation? If so, could that account for the shave the OP has had?

Xillion's pic does show perforations, but without the Art Deco engraving (and the perf shape is different).
I'm not sure what the differences are, but my initial guess was a mis-match. We'll see...there doesn't appear to be much blade exposure when loaded...

Here is a comparison shot of a few more New Style Goodwill heads and their caps from my collection.

From the left: #170 made in USA, #175 Made in Canada, French Market Goodwill Made in England.

$170.4.jpg

$170.3.jpg

Here is some good info on the various Goodwills.

I looked it up, from the Krumholtz guide:

"The major reason the Goodwill idea was promoted was to wean the public away from the old three-hole 'No Stropping, No Honing' blades in favour of the new long slot blades. The old style blades would not work in Goodwills, of course, nor would they work in the NEW GILLETTEs."

"There are two distinct styles of Goodwill razors, and it must be understood thatthe Goodwills were made up from parts - parts from Old Type razors and parts from NEW GILLETTEs. The only concession made for the Goodwill was the #160 cap, which was manufactured solely for the use of the Goodwill series.

The most common version of the Goodwill is the Standard Goodwill #160. The indented #160 cap was designed to accept the 'reverse studs' of all Goodwills made up from NEW GILLETTE parts. The #160 guard was a NEW GILLETTE guard that had not had the centre slot milled, but had two diamond reverse studs created in a punch press. By reverse studs, I mean that the studs went through or into the cap of the guard, rather than the studs being placed in the cap, and going through the guard."

"Another type of Goodwill made up from NEW GILLETTE parts was the Special Goodwill #175 which used a #160 cap. The guard was the same as found on the Standard Goodwill, except this razor had received the milling operation of the centre slot. The guard is different from that of normal NEW GILLETTES in that it has the protruding 'reverse studs' punched in. This razor was produced in extremely small quantities only in 1931.

The last version made from NEW GILLETTE parts was the Special Goodwill #170. This razor retained the #160 cap but featured two 'L' shaped studs punched into the guard. These took the place of the diamond-shaped reverse studs. This version was also produced in extremely small quantities only in 1931.

All other Goodwills were fabricated from surplus Old Type parts; two versions of these razors were produced. The first of these was the #162 Reverse Stud Goodwill. This razor features reverse studs in the diamond shape that were punched in the Old Type guard in the same manner as the standard Goodwill. The cap had the same diamond-shaped holes punched out which corresponded to the studs. Also, corner positioning posts were bent into the cap ends. This razor was produced only in 1934.

The #164 Reverse Stud Goodwill was made in a similar fashion. The difference is that the guard had a slotted centre hole and the cap had 'inside slot positioning posts' that corresponded to the guard's slot. This razor was only produced during 1931.

The tops of the caps of both the #162 and #164 Goodwills were embossed with a tasteful decoration that borders the punched out diamond holes."

I want to correct the mis-information in this post since I've seen this all over the internet and it seems to be this post is what everyone uses and has shared everywhere when trying to figure out their Goodwill.

For the #162 Reverse Stud Goodwill, it says that it was produced only in 1934. But the Krumholz book specifically says, "This razor was produced only in 1931." Not 1934. I just got the Krumholz book. If you have it, turn to page 236. Then look at the bottom right-hand corner where it talks about the #162. You'll see 1931.

I've also corrected it on the Wiki page. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Goodwill

Last edited:
Here are some of the various Goodwil head posted by Mr. Razor.
WOW...I'm thinking I have a "D" style base plate paired with a "B" style cap (according to these sample photos).
Does this make sense to y'all?

Last edited:
I was going to say, if that's not a Frankenrazor then I'd love one! A fancier looking New with a pierced cap/studs and corner tabs sounds awesome.

My read of the above is that you do indeed have a mismatched cap and baseplate. However, for something more authoritative, I defer to Xillion with his eight million razors. Or is it nine? :001_tt2:

Dangit, now I'm thinking of trying to make a razor like you have - mild open comb with a cool top cap? You may be starting a trend!

Top Bottom