What's new

What’s up with my Progress?!

I have always found the Progress to be one of the most intuitive razors I have used. It's also been nothing but smooth and efficient for me.

Ofcourse I have only tried about 12 different razors. There's nothing visually wrong with it? Is the blade gap even?

This could also just be a typical (and I hate the acronym) YMMV thing?
Someone also mentioned that QC at Merkur isn't always that great, maybe it's just a flawed aparatus.
To be fair there is some blade movement before twisting it closed. But I always make sure it’s properly aligned (angular and exposure) before shaving.

What I did notice is that if I just throw in the blade carelessly one side can be a little bit more exposed than the other.

There’s certainly some room for movement there.

To be fair there is some blade movement before twisting it closed. But I always make sure it’s properly aligned (angular and exposure) before shaving.

What I did notice is that if I just throw in the blade carelessly one side can be a little bit more exposed than the other.

The 2016 new molds (with small alignment arrow) fixed this.

My 2017 version has perfect blade alignment.

not sure how to distinguish between the old and the new, I assume mine is new as I just purchased it a couple of weeks ago. there is definitely some play in the alignment, "just throw a blade in" does not work. it is a merkur... pretty much any other brand I have is better on this front.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

Now that you've reported this above, and this was mentioned down bellow...

I think Alex JR needs to return his razor under warranty as a defective razor. And I think he should get the latest fixed models. You would think in the year 2022, all pre-2016 versions would have already been well sold, out of stock by now. Strange

Now that you've reported this above, and this was mentioned down bellow...

I think Alex JR needs to return his razor under warranty as a defective razor. And I think he should get the latest fixed models. You would think in the year 2022, all pre-2016 versions would have already been well sold, out of stock by now. Strange
After you install the blade, do you tighten the knob all the way down and then come back up to the setting you want? Do not just tighten down to your setting number, but tighten all the way down and then back up to you setting.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

After you install the blade, do you tighten the knob all the way down and then come back up to the setting you want? Do not just tighten down to your setting number, but tighten all the way down and then back up to you setting.

I don't own a Merkur Progress, but I do own a Merkur Futur, and a Rex Ambassador. The Merkur Futur doesn't have a knob, you just snap the cap down. The handle can rotate to adjust the blade aggression though. The Rex Ambassador does have a tightening knob on the bottom, people recommend to have the blade aggression set to 6 when top is off, then tightening things down together, then bring the blade aggression down to the number you want it to be.

not sure how to distinguish between the old and the new, I assume mine is new as I just purchased it a couple of weeks ago. there is definitely some play in the alignment, "just throw a blade in" does not work. it is a merkur... pretty much any other brand I have is better on this front.
Same here.

I’m pretty sure mine is the new one, since the triangle arrow design changed and is a little different from what it used to be.

To be fair, I don’t considered this little blade movement a defect simply because it’s not that excessive. Every razor I own has a little wiggle room when the blade is dropped in the posts. Even the better finished EJ89.

Just to be clear guys, it’s not Fatip like movement. But If not properly checked CAN be a little bit misaligned. A little.

It’s properly dialed all the way down for sure.

I really appreciate all inputs given and I’ll continue to play with it for sure.

Maybe someday I’ll have a “a ha!” moment.

Or maybe, like said above, the progress just isn’t for me.

Thank you all once again!

I’ve tried all combinations of settings multiple times. 5-3-1, 3-2-1 and so on… changes aggression but doesn’t change smoothness.
I have a Progres on order, hence my interest. Your post above implies that you start on a high setting then dial it down. Did I understand correctly? If so, have you tried starting low and increasing the exposure for the subsequent passes?

That's what works best for me with my Futur, or when using two different fixed razors for a shave.

I don't own a Merkur Progress, but I do own a Merkur Futur, and a Rex Ambassador. The Merkur Futur doesn't have a knob, you just snap the cap down. The handle can rotate to adjust the blade aggression though. The Rex Ambassador does have a tightening knob on the bottom, people recommend to have the blade aggression set to 6 when top is off, then tightening things down together, then bring the blade aggression down to the number you want it to be.
No need to set the Rex to 6 when changing blades. The blade gap adjustment is a 100% independent mechanism from the handle tightening stem and head plate. You can leave the Rex set on your preferred setting while changing blades without any worries of blade alignment issues. Happy shaves.

I have a Progres on order, hence my interest. Your post above implies that you start on a high setting then dial it down. Did I understand correctly? If so, have you tried starting low and increasing the exposure for the subsequent passes?

That's what works best for me with my Futur, or when using two different fixed razors for a shave.
Generally speaking, yes. From high to low.

I’m going to try that for my next shaves and see how it goes.

I think I’ve done that at some point but don’t really remember if it did anything different.

Back to experimenting… 😂

Same here.

I’m pretty sure mine is the new one, since the triangle arrow design changed and is a little different from what it used to be.

To be fair, I don’t considered this little blade movement a defect simply because it’s not that excessive. Every razor I own has a little wiggle room when the blade is dropped in the posts. Even the better finished EJ89.

Just to be clear guys, it’s not Fatip like movement. But If not properly checked CAN be a little bit misaligned. A little.

It’s properly dialed all the way down for sure.

I really appreciate all inputs given and I’ll continue to play with it for sure.

Maybe someday I’ll have a “a ha!” moment.

Or maybe, like said above, the progress just isn’t for me.

Thank you all once again!
yes, some razors allow some movement, some don't. My RR machined razors align the blade perfectly, no wiggle room.
The Mühle R89 has some movement, the R41 very little. My Fatip didn't have alignment issues, despite its reputation.

That’s interesting, I’ve owned or used at least 100 razors over the years and the Progress has always been in my top 5 and one of the smoothest razors I’ve ever used.
I found that it does take some getting used to as the angles it prefers are steeper than most, and it works best for me on the more mild settings. I’ve also noticed that there is a bit of blade movement so you have to watch your blade alignment as you tighten it down.
Otherwise, I wonder if there isn’t a manufacturing flaw with your copy? 🤔
Either way, all the best going forward. I’d be tempted to return it. 😉

That’s interesting, I’ve owned or used at least 100 razors over the years and the Progress has always been in my top 5 and one of the smoothest razors I’ve ever used.
I found that it does take some getting used to as the angles it prefers are steeper than most, and it works best for me on the more mild settings. I’ve also noticed that there is a bit of blade movement so you have to watch your blade alignment as you tighten it down.
Otherwise, I wonder if there isn’t a manufacturing flaw with your copy? 🤔
Either way, all the best going forward. I’d be tempted to return it. 😉
This. I’m really starting to see it works best for me on more mild settings also. I even used it today on the full closed position, the + on mine. And it shaved quite well!

Despite having a thick beard anything above 2 feels like shaving quite on the agressive side. I shave everyday also, so a 5 or even a 3 on a daily basis is beginning to feel too much.

Changed the blade today from RPL to BIC. There’s definitely a difference in smoothness. I think this guy likes a sharp blade.

I’ll continue to experiment with it…

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

This. I’m really starting to see it works best for me on more mild settings also. I even used it today on the full closed position, the + on mine. And it shaved quite well!

Despite having a thick beard anything above 2 feels like shaving quite on the agressive side. I shave everyday also, so a 5 or even a 3 on a daily basis is beginning to feel too much.

Changed the blade today from RPL to BIC. There’s definitely a difference in smoothness. I think this guy likes a sharp blade.

I’ll continue to experiment with it…

Much experimentation is required, for science! HAHA Yes sir! 😁

My Progress is the smoothest shaver I've ever used. It's my daily shaver.

I don't find the shaving angle critical at all.

I always use TOBS or Proraso creams and Astra SP blades.
Probably should have mentioned, I never use anything higher than 2 (with a + sign zero setting).

Probably should have mentioned, I never use anything higher than 2 (with a + sign zero setting).
That’s been my max as well. Even 1,5 I’d say, for everyday shaving of course.

Before buying it I really thought that the progress was insanely mild at the lower settings, like a Rockwell plate 1.

I’m finding out that for me obviously, YMMV, the progress is quite an aggressive razor above 1,5 or 2. Even .5 up on the scale changes the razor behavior a lot.

I guess I had a somewhat different impression of what the 1 to 5 setting would be in real usage.

That’s not a bad thing, but quickly required some adaptation.

My impression watching and reading reviews was that the 1 to 5 was way milder than it actually is.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Yes, I've ready posts on here that suggest, that the Progress, even while also adjustable, is not as aggressive, as a Merkur Futur. So, I also took that as an assumption that people are correct. Now I am hearing from you two, that the Progress is actually more aggressive then some are leading on. Which then also emphasizes the point, YMMV.

Personally, I've used a Merkur Futur, and a Rex Ambassador, I kind of find them equally aggressive. And their settings 1 through 6 seem to about match up perfectly in blade aggression.

No, they didn't.
All my 4 Progresses are the new mold. All of them have a little wiggle. Sometimes the blade will sit with uneven exposure that I have to correct by holding the blade tabs and aligning.
Do you watch for even exposure from above the head? Because that is only cap exposure, which is not the real exposure (looking from below the guard at the line of actual angle of shaving)

Top Bottom