What's new

What's Up With Lilac Vegetal?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Put it on then go out and wear a mask. I dare you, I have. Only then can you tell if you have been truly chosen. Actually the scent reminds me of the pharmacy that my doctor's office was in when I was a kid. The barbershop smelled of Bay Rum and Barbicide.

Wednesday is normally Veg Day for me. Also my weekly Chiropractic appointment.

Smells great, even with my mask on, and my Chiropractor and her receptionist always comment favorably.

Yes, I am 'Chosen'. :)

YMMV :)

What's it like? Animal urine. Take your pick. Dog. Cat. Both valid. I swear I tried to like it. I bought a bottle. One night we were getting ready to go out to dinner. My wife, son and I. I went into the guest bedroom where my shave den is and splashed on some of The Veg. I then went downstairs to wait for the other two. Suddenly I hear my wife upstairs saying, "Why does it smell like pee in the guest bedroom?! Did the dog pee in here?!" My son who is a teen, starting to shave and knew about aftershaves and The Veg said "No mom. It's dad." Her response? "Dad pee'd in the guest bedroom?!" My son: "No, it's his aftershave." By then I had come upstairs to see what all the commotion was about. She immediately walks up to me, moves in close and starts to sniff. She looks at me and says "You can't go out like that." That's the last time I ever wore The Veg. Life is better now.
Momma ain't happy ,nobody is happy,words to live by.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wednesday is The Veg Day. :)
20201028_081435~2.jpg

I just got my sample of The Veg from Maggard's, and sampled it.

Not cat urine. Believe me, I know that. And it's nothing like Arko, which to me smells like stale corn chips. This stuff is pretty much like flowers, I guess lilac, and it dries down to baby powder. Here I was thinking it would smell like vinegar flavored with sick skunk tale or something, and it's actually pretty nice.

(You wanna talk horrible scents? Mercedes' own brand of power steering fluid. I bought some for my C230 years ago. Now that was stale pretzels marinated in cat urine. As soon as I used up the bottle, I went back to an aftermarket fluid. Lilac Vegetal is *nothing* like that.)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Not cat urine. Believe me, I know that. And it's nothing like Arko, which to me smells like stale corn chips. This stuff is pretty much like flowers, I guess lilac, and it dries down to baby powder. Here I was thinking it would smell like vinegar flavored with sick skunk tale or something, and it's actually pretty nice.

(You wanna talk horrible scents? Mercedes' own brand of power steering fluid. I bought some for my C230 years ago. Now that was stale pretzels marinated in cat urine. As soon as I used up the bottle, I went back to an aftermarket fluid. Lilac Vegetal is *nothing* like that.)

You need to go here Sir Knight.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

What @luvmysuper said. :thumbup:

You are one of The Chosen, The Knights of the Veg Table! :cool:

Haven't had a bad compliment from The Veg yet. Welcome to the club!

Used LV again this morning. Unfortunately I dabbed it on before drinking my morning digestive cocktail of apple cider vinegar, well watered, on the rocks, with a teaspoon of pickle juice for flavor. (Don't knock it, etc.) The flavor of that mixing with the scent of freshly-applied Lilac Vegetal was not pleasant.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Used LV again this morning. Unfortunately I dabbed it on before drinking my morning digestive cocktail of apple cider vinegar, well watered, on the rocks, with a teaspoon of pickle juice for flavor. (Don't knock it, etc.) The flavor of that mixing with the scent of freshly-applied Lilac Vegetal was not pleasant.
At least the apple cider vinegar diluted the smell of the liliac vegetal

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

This might come off as controversial, but to me, what does it say that LV was apparently universally or nearly universally popular a century ago - to the extent that for generations, including for me (and I'm not old) it became one of the most classic "old-time barbershop" olfactory triggers - barbers could safely use it, without asking, on any customer without a second thought, that is - and now so many people can't stand it? Suggests it's a sign of a seismic shift in the cultural of taste, one I don't think has shifted in good directions overall. That's not to say those that don't like it have bad taste, but that for all of us, sensibilities toward the olfactory spectrum have significantly narrowed in the recent past.

In fairness the LV of past eras isn't quite the same as the stuff being sold now. Not that the current LV is bad or anything, because it isn't, it's really good. But it's a touch more challenging than the older formula. My vintage bottle is around fifty years old. It's a delicate powdery lilac with hints of greenery and a soft ambergris drydown. Nothing controversial at all to its smell. Has a little sassafras kick, but otherwise nothing particularly mind-bending or memorable. Easily could see it being an everyday splash at tons of corner barbershops with zero negative reactions.

The current stuff is basically a massive musk note with a heavily floral tone to its drydown, which emulates lilac. Very much a Victorian-style barbershop scent. The musk is raunchy and a bit animalic. The powder doesn't kick in until the drydown, and the lilac is very naturalistic, steeped in rich greens, which fade to leave a powdery and almost nondescript talc-like tone. Some of the challenge for people may be the off-gassing from the plastic into the formula, but I think it's just a different fragrance compared to the older version. Not wildly different, mind you. But slightly different. Both are excellent, and recognizable as LV.

I love me some Veg!

Its really odd how 1 person smells cat urine and the person standing right next to them smells Orchids or some other powdery / flowery smell.

Had it happen the other day with a father and son - son immediately said cat pi$-. father goes what?!? smells like Mom's orchids!

Really odd

My wife got a bouquet of flowers for her birthday. For the last week, Everytime I walk into the kitchen it smells like old urinals to me... Really not fun when food is around.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My wife got a bouquet of flowers for her birthday. For the last week, Everytime I walk into the kitchen it smells like old urinals to me... Really not fun when food is around.

I could probably deal with that better than I could the smell of roast beef in the bathroom.

I got a sample of it. Definitely smells of urine. I'm looking for a small glass bottle to keep it in until i muster the courage to use it.

I used LV this morning. Still not sure I really like the initial scent. It dries down to a baby-powder scent, which is fine, but that initial aroma is . . . odd.

Top Bottom