What's new

What's Up With Lilac Vegetal?

Depends on the brand. I fall into the cat urine and headache crowd with the Pinaud, but the Masters version I enjoy very much. These are so different that it difficult to understand why they are called the same thing.

I’m wearing it right now.

It smells just like the bathroom at the golf course half way house. It’s formidable, but nostalgic. I like it.

proxy.php

I like the Master’s version as well. Not as much, but I like it. It is more straightforward lilac flower and less green scented.

Pinaud LV was in every restroom of fancy restaurants and locker room of the country clubs back in the 80s. I think it used to be much more popular, but I think aftershave and cheaper gentleman’s scents used to be more popular in general.

I have never crossed to the dark side and likely never will. So I have no idea if I’m chosen or not.

Reading threads a large number of folk like it while a large number think it smells of cat wee.

Now I wear fragrance I like but also too make (hopefully) make my fragrance as pleasant as possible to the people I mingle with

I wouldn’t knowingly slosh on a fragrance that I knew would be as offensive to as many people as actually like it

I would hate to think that half of the people in a crowd thought I’d recently wrestled a Tom cat with a well hydrated bladder or step away thinking my incontinence problem had returned.

Like the veg ? Or not so much. Why wear ANY fragrance a lot of people will be offended by ?

THERE YOU GO fired the shots convince me I’m wrong!

Gosh I’ve enabled myself writing this now I’ll have to buy some and find out for myself

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have never crossed to the dark side and likely never will. So I have no idea if I’m chosen or not.

Reading threads a large number of folk like it while a large number think it smells of cat wee.

Now I wear fragrance I like but also too make (hopefully) make my fragrance as pleasant as possible to the people I mingle with

I wouldn’t knowingly slosh on a fragrance that I knew would be as offensive to as many people as actually like it

I would hate to think that half of the people in a crowd thought I’d recently wrestled a Tom cat with a well hydrated bladder or step away thinking my incontinence problem had returned.

Like the veg ? Or not so much. Why wear ANY fragrance a lot of people will be offended by ?

THERE YOU GO fired the shots convince me I’m wrong!

Gosh I’ve enabled myself writing this now I’ll have to buy some and find out for myself
If you're chosen it smells like powdery lilacs to you and everyone around you. If you're not you just smell like cat ****.

I am definitely a Veg guy. Love it. Wife and kids don’t hate it so all good here. My opinion (Veg lover), the cat pee comments are probably related to sniffing bottle directly or while wet/concentrated just after putting on. It is strong in the bottle and when first applied, but quickly mellows into the real fragrances. Powdery is the strongest note for me. And like many others have said, a nostalgic smell for me as well triggering old memories of the Veg when I was a kid.

This is one you may have to put on to actually try. Sniffing the bottle is not very indicative of wearing the Veg in my opinion.

Been on a Clubman VIBR kick lately, but I did do a double take on my bottle of The Veg this morning and thought about it.

Maybe tomorrow.

It looks like I have been chosen. Got my bottle in yesterday and I tried it this morning. I like it. I don't get the cat wee at all. It's very floral and enjoyable. Here was the set up for today.
SOTD10-10-20.jpg

It is in the den and will probably will be there for a long time to come!!

Thank you everyone for your input, pro & con, and for your sticking with this thread!!

This might come off as controversial, but to me, what does it say that LV was apparently universally or nearly universally popular a century ago - to the extent that for generations, including for me (and I'm not old) it became one of the most classic "old-time barbershop" olfactory triggers - barbers could safely use it, without asking, on any customer without a second thought, that is - and now so many people can't stand it? Suggests it's a sign of a seismic shift in the cultural of taste, one I don't think has shifted in good directions overall. That's not to say those that don't like it have bad taste, but that for all of us, sensibilities toward the olfactory spectrum have significantly narrowed in the recent past.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This might come off as controversial, but to me, what does it say that LV was apparently universally or nearly universally popular a century ago - to the extent that for generations, including for me (and I'm not old) it became one of the most classic "old-time barbershop" olfactory triggers - barbers could safely use it, without asking, on any customer without a second thought, that is - and now so many people can't stand it? Suggests it's a sign of a seismic shift in the cultural of taste, one I don't think has shifted in good directions overall. That's not to say those that don't like it have bad taste, but that for all of us, sensibilities toward the olfactory spectrum have significantly narrowed in the recent past.

You may be on to something here. I was raised on a lot of the classic scents.

Also, how many younger folks have ever been to a barber for a shave and haircut? I think many folks go to a stylist these days as opposed to a barber. A stylist is less likely to use classic scents.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

Neverstoplearning, thanks for the comments. Do you feel like the general breadth of taste options in the mainstream market has shrunk since you were a kid going to the barber shop, or when you first started shaving? I have noticed that every year it seems that at the average drugstore or big box chain, the classic products keep (permanently) disappearing from the shave aisle. It used to be that multiple Pinauds, Old Spice, English Leather, Stetson, Brut, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, and even other stuff were standard, and now it's really shrunk at most places. I wish I had bought some of those while they were easy and cheap to obtain.

I agree. A lot of young people go to "Stylists" as opposed to barbers. As a kid I went to barber shops and was therefore acquainted with Pinaud Talcum Powder, Clubman, etc. Perhaps there should be a poll to see if the people who generally dislike LV are younger in age.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Neverstoplearning, thanks for the comments. Do you feel like the general breadth of taste options in the mainstream market has shrunk since you were a kid going to the barber shop, or when you first started shaving? I have noticed that every year it seems that at the average drugstore or big box chain, the classic products keep (permanently) disappearing from the shave aisle. It used to be that multiple Pinauds, Old Spice, English Leather, Stetson, Brut, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, and even other stuff were standard, and now it's really shrunk at most places. I wish I had bought some of those while they were easy and cheap to obtain.

You just listed a whole bunch of my favorite scents. ;)

Yes, I agree. Even with the "resurgence" in traditional shaving, the shaving section of many brick and mortar retail stores is really slim compared to my youth.

Ever smelt brut straight out of a plastic bottle it kinda smells like pee as well..but put it in a glass bottle or on your skin and it transforms ...same
Could be said for lilac i guess

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I would posit that the increase in prevalence of daily showers in men had a large part to do with it.

I love all of those.. SB and AV and Clubman are incredible. But not the lilac urinal.

I would posit that the increase in prevalence of daily showers in men had a large part to do with it.
Most people in the late 19th century, when LV first appeared, washed their bodies daily, even if it admittedly wasn't common for most people to take full-body baths daily, so with respect for your sharing of this thought, I do not imagine there's a connection to the contemporary relative dislike for LV. Tastes in drinks, candy, and other things have changed in a similar way, so it suggests to me a broader issue of cultural taste shift (no matter if we are talking about physical taste, or smell).

Leaving that discussion aside, LV was still quite popular late into the 20th century, a very long time after it became the normal expectation for men to bathe or shower daily or near-daily, so I think it's still just a matter of the shrinking of taste spectrum, or maybe an olfactory "diminished sense of imagination" that has developed more recently.

Put it on then go out and wear a mask. I dare you, I have. Only then can you tell if you have been truly chosen. Actually the scent reminds me of the pharmacy that my doctor's office was in when I was a kid. The barbershop smelled of Bay Rum and Barbicide.

Top Bottom