What's new

What's Up With Lilac Vegetal?

I am a regular with the Veg, but keep that awful Brut stuff away!!
Haha. When I was a teenager and saw Brut in the grocery store shaving aisle, the packaging made me think it was something only for guys with long sideburns and gold chains (and this was long after the silver chains had already disappeared from the commonly available bottles). When I finally tried it many years later, I found it to be nothing at all like I had expected! And quite liked it. I still don't get why it was seen as the epitome of alphamaleness, even in spite of the profile of its various endorsers. I could see a turn of the century dandy in an ascot wearing it.

Haha. When I was a teenager and saw Brut in the grocery store shaving aisle, the packaging made me think it was something only for guys with long sideburns and gold chains (and this was long after the silver chains had already disappeared from the commonly available bottles). When I finally tried it many years later, I found it to be nothing at all like I had expected! And quite liked it. I still don't get why it was seen as the epitome of alphamaleness, even in spite of the profile of its various endorsers. I could see a turn of the century dandy in an ascot wearing it.
I took a whiff at the pharmacy recently and it is still not for me. I keep telling myself that it is a classic so I should buy a bottle and give it a fair trial. I guess if it is still on the market there must be some who like it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Lilac Vegetal splash and Arko soap...they seem to be the most debated loved/hated products on the shaving market.

Lilac Vegetal splash and Arko soap...they seem to be the most debated loved/hated products on the shaving market.
I agree. The cheap products are always a love/hate, often based on past experiences. The Veg and Arko definitely seem to really inflame those who dislike it even more than most though.....

I had a love hate thing with Clubman. Now it's one of my faves. I think decanting to a glass bottle has made a difference but that could also be the placebo effect.

I tried the Veg about 10 years ago and it went down the drain.

So I'm doing what any rational person would do, I've ordered some and I'm trying it again. I'll decant it to glass too. Should be here in a week or so and I'll report back with my findings. We'll see if present me thinks differently than 10 years ago me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I had a love hate thing with Clubman. Now it's one of my faves. I think decanting to a glass bottle has made a difference but that could also be the placebo effect.

So I'm doing what any rational person would do, I've ordered some and I'm trying it again. I'll decant it to glass too. Should be here in a week or so and I'll report back with my findings. We'll see if present me thinks differently than 10 years ago me.

I put mine in glass like four years ago, and it still smells like The Veg. :lol:

AA

Well if ya still hate it, ship it to me and I'll give it a go! I have not tried it, but I have been trying to hold down the unnecessary purchases. Trying.......

To me it is the absolutely quintessential barbershop scent - I posted this elsewhere, but when I bought my first bottle around age 24 or so, I instantly recognized it as the smell of my childhood barber shop. But then, so too for regular Clubman. I plan to always have both of them on hand.

Not sure if this was discovered/posted by anyone already, but it was apparently enjoyed by President Truman as well... (sorry the image is sideways)

Attachments

• truman dresser.jpg
    truman dresser.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 49

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Lilac Vegetal makes Arko smell like Terre des Hommes.

Tried it, smelled like it had rubbed used cat liter on my face before going out. Didn't get any scent of lilacs.

Word on the street is that the US military was considering using it as a crowd dispersal tool. They ultimately abandoned the project because it would have been too cruel to the crowds.

Still, all this talk has got me curious if my tastes have changed...

Just to muddy the waters but Masters also has a Lilac Vegetol that I used to enjoy. It was more 'lilac' than 'vegetol' but I enjoyed it. Not something I wore everyday, but it was a scent I liked when I was at home.

The Veg landed yesterday. Out of the bottle it was almost as weird as I remember it. But I committed to this so it's on for Clubman Friday.

So far.... so good? I'm surprised really. I'm actually smelling lilacs. Go figure. Nobody is hurt. The dog hasn't left the room and it's not making me hate my life. Definitely no regrets. I'll report back in a couple of hours and see if that's still the case.

From memory I think I prefer Booster Lilac, but I don't have any right now to compare.

Wearing the Veg today. I will be double dipping later. No snide remarks from anybody towards it today, and I assure you that no frogs were harmed.

If smelling like the Veg is wrong, then hey, I don't want to be right. I've smelled scents on people I didn't quite like, and went on with the rest of my day. It's fine.

Top Bottom