What's new

What's Up With Lilac Vegetal?

You will love it, hate it or be indifferent towards it. Decanting it into a glass bottle will help. I do not mind it and use it every couple of weeks but no one in my family likes it.

What's up with Lilac Vegetal?
What's not up with Lilac Vegetal!
It's great!
It's terrible!
It's fine in plastic.
No, it has to be transferred to a glass bottle!
It smells like lilacs!
It smells like cat urine!
It smells wonderful on some gents, and hideous on others!
It's polarizing!
One has to be "chosen" for "The Veg!"
No, one can "choose" The Veg for oneself!
Women love it!
Women hate it!
The new stuff is fine!
No, one must seek out vintage Veg!
Pinaud is the only game in town!
No, other Lilac Vegetals are worth exploring!

One thing we can all agree on is...
It helps to be born into a "Veg" family!
I firmly believe that if you grow up with it, you will love it!

It's one of the world's oldest scents. I read Napoleon used it for his troops.
Naturally, it's a "floral" as were all scents before Kölnisch Wasser hit the scene.
Like Florida water, it's a very dated scent, but was established as a dominant player back in the pre-war days when Pinaud ruled the world of affordable men's toiletries.
It's relevance was extended for several additional decades as a barber-shop staple and cheap drug-store choice.
But to-day it's really a miracle that it sells at all, considering how many incredible scents have come out, especially since the 1960's!
Me? I can take it or leave it, which puts me in a camp of my own, I think!

I can never keep it straight. Is the old formula the one that smells like cat urine, & the new formula smells like used urinal cakes? Or did I get it backwards?

There's only one way to see if you're one of the chosen... you must get some & wear it. I'm not chosen, but I tried it several times. Others are chosen & wear it regularly. Please keep us posted.

I have been using Pinaud Lilac Vegetal off and on since the early 1980s when I started shaving in high school. To me it has the scent of lilac mixed with greenery. Other lilac aftershaves such as from Master or Gabel’s are pure lilac without the greenery. I personally prefer Pinaud’s version. “Cat pee” never crossed my mind, and I have had pet cats all my life. I have also never noticed any change in scent over the years. Glass, plastic, no difference to my nose.

I think it all comes down to personal preference. I personally hate many high end aftershaves and colognes that many love. Its the same with food. I love fish, but my wife hates fish. One of my now adult kids is afraid to try anything he is not familiar with. I keep saying “if you don’t try it, how do you know you don’t like it?”. A bottle of the Veg costs less (including shipping) than lunch at an inexpensive restaurant. Try it. If you don’t like it, use it to deodorize the trash can in the garage.

My first reaction when I gave it a whiff out of the bottle was a very old memory of going to the bathroom at the lake I used to swim at when I was very young. It had that urinal cake vibe to it. Very fond memories of that lake actually, so I didn't mind it. This was my first impression.

I used it that day, and got a completely different vibe. The first few days I used it I was unsure what I thought of it, but it eventually grew on me and it's one of my favorite aftershaves. I use it all the time. I don't care if anybody doesn't like the smell on me, I like it. I usually end up double dipping later in the day.

Love it or hate it. If you love it, rock it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal :001_wub: The Veg, Pinaud Lilac vegetal, Veg, Veg, Veg, Yay!
003_22.jpg

I bought it, tried it, loved it!

I can never keep it straight. Is the old formula the one that smells like cat urine, & the new formula smells like used urinal cakes? Or did I get it backwards?

There's only one way to see if you're one of the chosen... you must get some & wear it. I'm not chosen, but I tried it several times. Others are chosen & wear it regularly. Please keep us posted.
Haha! I thought urinal cakes was what some say Arko smells like. I love Arko!!

+1! Yes indeed! You need to do the experiment to tell if you are among the chosen.

LOTH here has determined that the Veg smells like the cat misbehaved. :a15: :a15:

Yes, cat urine is over the top with ammonia.
Yep Cat urine makes me money. I can't tell you how many people have called me to fix wood floors after a cat has decided to mark his spot. Not much will take out cat urine once it's soaked into a hard oak floor.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Personally, I love The Veg. My Lovely Bride loves it when I wear The Veg. I get positive comments from my Chiropractor, the waitresses at our favorite restaurant and, before 'social distancing', ladies in line at the grocery store. The Veg may not work for everyone, but it sure works for me. :001_wub:
shave 20200701_155426_2.jpgShave 20200708_162358_2.jpgshave 20200715_153519_2.jpgshave 20200729_071308_2.jpgShave 20200722_145040_2.jpgshave 20200812_154850_2.jpgshave 20200805_145637_2.jpgshave 20200902_192518_2.jpg
It's nice to be 'Chosen' and a proud Knight of the Veg Table. :cool:

What's it like? Animal urine. Take your pick. Dog. Cat. Both valid. I swear I tried to like it. I bought a bottle. One night we were getting ready to go out to dinner. My wife, son and I. I went into the guest bedroom where my shave den is and splashed on some of The Veg. I then went downstairs to wait for the other two. Suddenly I hear my wife upstairs saying, "Why does it smell like pee in the guest bedroom?! Did the dog pee in here?!" My son who is a teen, starting to shave and knew about aftershaves and The Veg said "No mom. It's dad." Her response? "Dad pee'd in the guest bedroom?!" My son: "No, it's his aftershave." By then I had come upstairs to see what all the commotion was about. She immediately walks up to me, moves in close and starts to sniff. She looks at me and says "You can't go out like that." That's the last time I ever wore The Veg. Life is better now.

Top Bottom