What's new

What’s up with Declaration Grooming?

As long as it comes in an unscented option I will definitely give it a try. I’ve used quite a bit of unscented Bison and never tried the Icarus base. SCOTT said he wouldn’t offer Icarus in unscented since the animal funk was pretty stout.

As long as it comes in an unscented option I will definitely give it a try. I’ve used quite a bit of unscented Bison and never tried the Icarus base. SCOTT said he wouldn’t offer Icarus in unscented since the animal funk was pretty stout.

I liked the performance of Icarus, but never quite got past he "gamey" scents that the fragrance chemicals could not quite mask. The new Milksteak base might be more to my liking, at least from the scent.

As for performance, Ruds gives the new base a 100 which is the highest score he has ever assigned. Thus, it sounds like a winner.

Well, it's a done deal and settled. All other soap makers can close up shop. Ruds gave a 100!! :D
I really like DG, but my tub of Dirtyver went moldy. :eek: I threw it out. I hope this addresses this.

Well, it's a done deal and settled. All other soap makers can close up shop. Ruds gave a 100!! :D
I really like DG, but my tub of Dirtyver went moldy. :eek: I threw it out. I hope this addresses this.

Not everyone agrees with Ruds shave scores as their needs and preferences may be different than his.

Generally, I agree with his ratings. There are a few soaps that he likes a better than I do (B&M Glissant) and there are a few soaps that I rate higher than than he does (CRSW Select, WSP Formula T). I have never disliked a soap he rated highly and I have never loved a soap he rated below average (which, by the way, is around 85 on his shave score). Thus, I am looking forward to trying the new Declaration Grooming formula, even though I have enough soaps to last for decades (if they do not grow moldy like yours did).

Not everyone agrees with Ruds shave scores as their needs and preferences may be different than his....

Ruds refuses to show any sort of "template" that he implements and IMO he gives far too much weight to post shave feel. Even by his standards I was shocked by his Sudsy Soapery rating.

It's official: the maker has stated publicly on Facebook that the Icarus and the older bison base are now officially dead and are being replaced with this new Milksteak base.

Ruds refuses to show any sort of "template" that he implements and IMO he gives far too much weight to post shave feel. Even by his standards I was shocked by his Sudsy Soapery rating.

I understand that not everyone wants the post-shave properties in a soap. You might have oily skin, or you might use an aftershave balm or other product to compensate for the lack of such properties in a soap. Personally, my sensitive skin loves a soap that does not require an after-shave product.

Ruds gave The Sudsy Soapery tallow soap a score of 91, which places it in the same league as Stirling and Oleo Soapworks, which I think is fair. Personally, I rank TSS even lower as several of the scents caused exterme skin irritation. It is one of only a few brands of soap I cannot use.

Is it just me or is Milksteak a really bad name for a soap base??

Regardless, I’m gonna buy some to see what’s Rud’s consideres a 100 score soap.

I've shaved with the Milksteak base (unscented). It's a great performer and as unscented as a tallow soap can be. Way more unscented than Icarus could have been.

Also, I find it hilarious that anyone could suggest has the time, energy, or inclination to track and target other soapers' releases.

It's official: the maker has stated publicly on Facebook that the Icarus and the older bison base are now officially dead and are being replaced with this new Milksteak base.

I’ll certainly try the Milksteak, but I can’t imagine that it will surpass the legacy bison base for me. I ordered several Icarus soaps when they came out, but I still find the legacy bison to be the best soap in my den (alongside MdC). Lucky for me I stocked up on the bison base, knowing this day would come...

Top Bottom