What's new

What's up with all the specialized Beard products?

In the last year or so,
I have noticed an EXPLOSION of products aimed at beard wearers.
Every retail store I go into has assorted new brands to offer,
and even old brands like Cremo and AoS have beard-targeted products now.
Online vendors are the same way.

This includes Beard Brushes, Beard Combs, Beard washes / oils / balms / waxes / etc.

It seems like all this has appeared rather suddenly,
and each time I go back, there is something new on the shelf.

Are beard products really that much different from regular shaving software and hardware?
If so ... what were beard wearers using before this niche market opened up?

What's going on here?

Beardies weren't buying enough products so they've brought more out to convince them they need to spend money?

You’re comparing the “bearded of yesterday” to today’s hipster bearded. Big fluffy lumberjack beards -paired with attire carefully chosen to look like he just rolled out of bed- have become completely mainstream. These young urbanites have disposable income that they’re not spending on shave products- and the shave manufacturers want to sell them something.

This look was all the rage in San Francisco years ago and, like many things (think man-bob) over the last decade or so- the rest of the country’s hipsters have followed.

For those of you who don’t care for this trend, have hope! It’s already passé in SF and they’re working on the next thing.

Some of the quality oils and balms are definitely worth it and have done wonders for my beard, and I’m definitely not a hipster. If you like quality shave products in your den these are no different but for a beardsman, and I’d suggest picking up a sample or two to see what all the fuss is about. Nothing wrong with a nice, soft, flakeless beard that smells of sweet cigars or smooth coffee, is there?

I mean that fashion forward urban hipsters influence (always have) mainstream culture. Not everyone with a beard is one, of course. But if one grows a beard as part of the last few year trend, that is a “ground up” influence I’m trying to describe.

Anyhoo- beards have become extremely fashionable lately. If I was an exec at P&G, or Gilette (or if I owned a small shave goods company)I would be trying to find a product that would serve those with beards.

I mean that fashion forward urban hipsters influence (always have) mainstream culture. Not everyone with a beard is one, of course. But if one grows a beard as part of the last few year trend, that is a “ground up” influence I’m trying to describe.

Anyhoo- beards have become extremely fashionable lately. If I was an exec at P&G, or Gilette (or if I owned a small shave goods company)I would be trying to find a product that would serve those with beards.

I agree. I wasn't meaning to discount your previous post, just wanted to outline that one can use beard products without being a hipster. Cheers.

Some of the quality oils and balms are definitely worth it and have done wonders for my beard, and I’m definitely not a hipster. If you like quality shave products in your den these are no different but for a beardsman, and I’d suggest picking up a sample or two to see what all the fuss is about. Nothing wrong with a nice, soft, flakeless beard that smells of sweet cigars or smooth coffee, is there?

I completely agree. At 50 years old I'm definitely NOT a hipster, I don't wear things "ironically" and the first time I saw a "man bun" I immediately thought of Ruth Buzzi. Most of my minimal collection of beard care products comes from two companies, both of which were started by beard wearing guys who couldn't find what they were looking for in the marketplace to help their beards look and feel better, so they started making their own oils and balms. That became their businesses. I use beard oils and balms to calm the frizzy hair and have a somewhat well groomed appearance. There are a number of quality products on the market and they do work to varying degrees. Depending on the company and how their products are used, some of them work VERY well. I'm enjoying my first full beard and I choose to keep it looking presentable, without the beard care products I tend to look more like Wishbone from "Rawhide."

While it IS my first full beard, it isn't because of any fashion trend, it's something I'd considered many times in the past. After constantly growing my beard for two to three weeks before shaving, last Fall I finally decided to just let it grow and see how it looked.

Last edited:
I was suckered into buying all the oils etc. then found that coconut oil, or straight Argon oil work just as well. If you want a scent add a few drops of your essential oil of choice and boom. You smell like a hairy forest or peppermint stick lol.
The only product I do buy is Honest Amish beard WAX. Nothing holds a bushy beards shape as well as this!
Google DIY beard oil or balm. You can save a ton of money!!

I use the Leven Rose brand, I like their Zen scent with Juniper.. It helped alot when I was growing my beard, helped with the itch and gave the beard loose strands some weight.

I use the Leven Rose brand, I like their Zen scent with Juniper.. It helped alot when I was growing my beard, helped with the itch and gave the beard loose strands some weight.
There's something that will help with the itching?
I'll have to look into that.

I usually get to 10~14 days and I can't stand it anymore, that's when I shave.
I haven't done a No-shave-vember in so long I can't remember.

Its too late in the season to start a beard this winter,
but I'll keep in mind for next year.

There's something that will help with the itching?
I'll have to look into that.

I usually get to 10~14 days and I can't stand it anymore, that's when I shave.
I haven't done a No-shave-vember in so long I can't remember.

Its too late in the season to start a beard this winter,
but I'll keep in mind for next year.

Its a combination of things that help with the itch... Using a hair dryer and drying out your beard properly helps.. What I did for two years having a beard was to apply oil while wet, give it a good rub to the skin, beard brush it, and hair dryer low heat and high speed, and rebrush it

I used to keep a beard- more of a van dyke really, but cut it off once and the next time I started to grow it back it was as white as Santa Claus'. I will just keep the mustache. While it has gray in it, it still has color too.

I've had a full beard for 46 years or so. Until about 1 month ago I had never even considered using any products. Frankly I dismissed them out of hand. I kept my beard at about 1-2 inches with very defined check and neckline with an electric trimmer (Wahl). I used my regular shampoo and an occasional conditioning with regular conditioner. After towel dry I brushed a bit. About 1 month ago I decided that I wanted to grow my beard much longer and fuller. I did a bit of reading and discovered all of these products. Decided to give a couple of them a try as my beard starts to get a bit fuzzy as it grows out. After 1 month of using a good beard oil, balm and shampoo the different in the beard is quite remarkable. It is much softer, shinier and little to no fuzziness. Though now silver it looks as healthy as it did when I was in my 20's and 30's and black. I wish that I had tried them sooner. They work.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've had a full beard for 46 years or so. Until about 1 month ago I had never even considered using any products. Frankly I dismissed them out of hand. I kept my beard at about 1-2 inches with very defined check and neckline with an electric trimmer (Wahl). I used my regular shampoo and an occasional conditioning with regular conditioner. After towel dry I brushed a bit. About 1 month ago I decided that I wanted to grow my beard much longer and fuller. I did a bit of reading and discovered all of these products. Decided to give a couple of them a try as my beard starts to get a bit fuzzy as it grows out. After 1 month of using a good beard oil, balm and shampoo the different in the beard is quite remarkable. It is much softer, shinier and little to no fuzziness. Though now silver it looks as healthy as it did when I was in my 20's and 30's and black. I wish that I had tried them sooner. They work.

It's good to have a view from a long time keep it simple approach man.
The few times I've grown or started to grow a beard, its been a zero product approach.
I tried using our normal shampoo and conditioner last time around and found it irritated me too much.

I'm having another go at growing a beard and have reached for some of this new products to keep the new beard itch at bay. It's early days yet as I'm just 5 days in but I'm hopeful there will be no drive me crazy, I want to shave this beard off itch.

Long term beard care will have me reaching for off the shelf beard products and if the beard stays a good length of time, I'll look at mixing my own beard oil.

I tried quite a few products last year when I tried growing out a longer beard. I settled on beard shampoo and conditioner, a good oil, and mustache wax. I have noticed a difference from regular shampoo and conditioner. The oil seems to keep everything healthier, and definitely gets rid of the Itch. I tried some balms and waxes but found that the only thing they did for me is break my skin out. I use the mustache wax for my handlebar. Ok, maybe I have gone a bit hipster...

I am about to start growing out my beard for the first time and I have searched for beard threads on the site and have noticed you seem to be a common contributor to the threads and was wondering if you would be willing to recommend any products that would be good for me to begin with and any lessons learned from beard growing that you have. Thanks!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

If you’re serious about growing the beard out I’d suggest grabbing a comb, a brush, a shampoo, an oil, and a balm. One stop shopping is always good so I’d suggest the Badass Beard Care Styling Kit. It has everything you’ll ever need as well as some whisker wax. Great balms and oils too. Find a scent that appeals to you and let PayPal take care of the rest.

Similarly Bossman Brands has a great kit with the Big Boss Facial Hair Care package. Their beard Jelly is tremendous and the price is amazing for what you get.

If you’re just looking for an oil and balm check out Grave Before Shave and Artius Man as well. Great stuff. There’s others but this is a good start. Happy hunting.

Cheers.
Awesome stuff, thanks!! I have been in the Navy for eight years and we have to be clean shaven daily. I checked out today and don't plan on a full shave for quite sometime, like years.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I just wish that there was a similar abundance of 'stache wax. In my region, you may find Clubman on the shelf, but anything else you'd have to order online or make it yourself (which I do).
This look was all the rage in San Francisco years ago and, like many things (think man-bob) over the last decade or so- the rest of the country’s hipsters have followed.
The mention of San Francisco makes me wonder if Bear culture didn't have something to do with it, in terms of kick-starting the trend before it went mainstream.

Top Bottom