What's new

What's the worst soap/cream you own? And why?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Floris. Reformulation did them not favors. I can get a lather that’s think yet slick, which is a pretty good lather for a few seconds until it dries and flakes away halfway through a pass.

I have a no name puck of vegan soap that was handcrafted by the vegan soap elves of the US Pacific Northwest. It came wrapped in wax paper with no maker marks but was advertised as "shave soap" created by local "artisans." My daughter picked it up at a vegan shop as a gift for me while on vacation with her boyfriend. I lover her dearly and the thought behind it. They're meat eaters so I'm not really sure what possessed them to go in. It must have been an elven spell.

The smell is like a kitchen the morning after cooking a curry or vindaloo. I love Indian food but leftover curry scent has never been on my list for anything hygiene related.

The lather is gorgeous but no matter what I do it actually acts as an anti-lubricant. I didn't think that was possible for even a bad soap. Irish Spring bar soap is slicker. The only way I can make it work is by using a really slick pre shave (PAA Cube). Frankly it works better to just use the Cube by itself without the soap.

I've used it at least a dozen times trying to get over the smell and to see if I'm doing something wrong with my moisture ratio. I've finally given up.

MWF and Williams - didn't care fo either.

The only soap that actually hurt to use was Wholly Klaw Entropy Man. I love everything about that soap but it burns my face bad!!! Like I can't even get thru a single pass. Makes me sad... Such a wonderful soap.

natty.jpg

This stuff. Tried and tried with it but to no avail, absolutely god awful.

Worst soap I’ve tried is from Bundubeard, a local vendor in South Africa. Their soaps lack cushion and slickness, 2 important characteristics I demand from a soap. But then again the owner also state 6K Gold Dollar edges are good for shaving...

1C8C0A8E-5F9E-4540-99FE-8D47F15FC938.jpeg

D.R. Harris Sandalwood. I can produce some lather, but A: it dries really fast and B: it takes a LOT of time to build the lather. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Henri et Victoria "Nautilus" in the vegan formula is absolutely awful. A bubbly light mess of a lather that doesn't work better than grocery store shampoo. Incidentally, their tallow formula works well for me...

For me it was the Lush shaving cream "Prince" - it's no longer my worst soap/cream because it went in the bin. It didn't lather, clogged up the razor and didn't even have a good scent. Very unusual for Lush products - their massage bars and bath soaps are brilliant.
cheers
Andrew

I took half of the wilkinson soap from the bowl put it in a double boiler-small one and mixed it with some Argon oil and some odds and ends of some shaving soaps I didn't use....a half ounce of glycerin reheated the mess to mix it and voila .....I got a pretty good shaving soap that is slick and has good cushion.Try that you might like what you end up with.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CCR
Henri et Victoria "Nautilus" in the vegan formula is absolutely awful. A bubbly light mess of a lather that doesn't work better than grocery store shampoo. Incidentally, their tallow formula works well for me...
Use a preshave with that shaving soap and it will be like nite and day.Thats what I did.The Cube saved that soap!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

really slick pre shave (PAA Cube)

Yes, +1 to glycerin pre-shave. I'm operating on the assumed equation:

Col Conk + menthol crystals + shave tube = Ice Tube - $$

Thoughts? I realize that PAA loves magic botanicals, but that line of patter is keeping the margins high in several entire aisles of the drugstore without making the populace more attractive or healthy.

I am about to make another icy tube o' glycerin using the VDH glycerin soap puck that I got for $2.

That shows how subjective such discussions are. Tobs sandalwood is one of the easiest to lather croaps I have ever used.

Subjective is the word!! I suspect that without the incredible variety of scents the artisan soap world would be 90% smaller.

Zwiehander, PM me if you want to pay postage for the 'sample scooped once' TOBS Sandalwood tub languishing in my refrigerator.

Subjective is the word!! I suspect that without the incredible variety of scents the artisan soap world would be 90% smaller.

Zwiehander, PM me if you want to pay postage for the 'sample scooped once' TOBS Sandalwood tub languishing in my refrigerator.

Thanks Tanuki but the postage would be quite expensive as I live overseas.

Olivina. Makes suds not lather. What passes for lather dries up to a sticky mess during a shave pass. It's now a hand soap.

Worst for me was the reformulated version of Penhaligon's BB just after they dropped the tallow. It was like a case of the mysterious disappearing lather. I'd get something resembling lather on one side of my face, go to the other and by the time that was ready, the other side was free of lather. Scent was great but performance was not.

Top Bottom