What's new

What's the worst soap/cream you own? And why?

For me it's definitely the Wilkinson Sword Classic Shave bowl. I just dislike everything about it. I can't get used to the horrible scent. It is everything but slick resulting in irritation, regardless of razor and blade. It leaves my skin very dry.
Obviously, this is a budget soap but there are very good budget solutions out there. I'm getting very good results with Arko or even Nivea shave cream.
I'm very curious to find out which soaps the community absolutely can't stand.
proxy.php

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

Funny enough, the Wilkie shave soap in the blue bowl is the only shave soap I've ever relegated to shower duty in 7 years of wet shaving and more than 150 soaps and creams. Picked it up from Tesco while on a trip in the UK and it was absolutely terrible. Especially when compared to the Palmolive shave sticks I picked up right next to it in the Tesco!

I don't think I own a bad soap but Williams was pretty sub par. Also, Proraso is the least well-performing soap I own, which says a lot, considering how many people love it. It's okay. Not great. Everything else I own is tip top.

Funny enough, the Wilkie shave soap in the blue bowl is the only shave soap I've ever relegated to shower duty in 7 years of wet shaving and more than 150 soaps and creams. Picked it up from Tesco while on a trip in the UK and it was absolutely terrible. Especially when compared to the Palmolive shave sticks I picked up right next to it in the Tesco!
Yeah, repurposing it might be a good idea... I don't think I'll be able the bowl.

I don't think I own a bad soap but Williams was pretty sub par. Also, Proraso is the least well-performing soap I own, which says a lot, considering how many people love it. It's okay. Not great. Everything else I own is tip top.
I actually like Proraso after shave. Their soap is ok for me, considering the low cost.

Godrej. I only keep it around to break in brushes. Performance is fine but it's got one of those industrial cleaner type scents, like Arko.

Williams at the moment... Bought it to do some tests/comparisons. Gonna try it as a shampoo in a little bit.

Other than that, I have a couple Glycerin bowls from over a decade ago... Got em when I started whetshaving, and never got rid of them.

Well, worst is relative. I have yet to use a soap I hate. I have Arko, Proraso, Tabac, Vinolia, Castle Forbes, and Ogallala. They all perform excellently for me except the Ogallala, but even the Ogallala performs well, just not great. I always keep some Ogallala on hand because it works well enough and I love the way it smells, but I guess you could say that's my "worst" soap.

Don't know if it counts, but the worst I tried was actually Van Der hagen shave butter. That ended up in the shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have yet to encounter any soap or cream that is truly awful. It's mostly a case of "this isn't quite right for me, but probably great for someone else".
That's about where I am. The TFS Sera Pinup Collection soap, aside from the cute pinup girl on the lid, is slick enough and smells nice, but I'm not excited about it. Maybe I loaded the brush wrong this morning, but I had to keep going back and re-loading, and adding water, to get a decent lather.

Williams at the moment... Bought it to do some tests/comparisons. Gonna try it as a shampoo in a little bit.

Other than that, I have a couple Glycerin bowls from over a decade ago... Got em when I started whetshaving, and never got rid of them.
I'll be interested to hear how you feel Williams works as a shampoo. I worry that it might be a bit too cleansing, but I've never actually tried it as a shampoo.

I used to have just horrible seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, which essentially makes for a lot of itching and dandruff. I went onto all kinds of dandruff shampoos without much relief, including prescription anti-fungal shampoos from my dermatologist.

I switched to shampoo bars and within about two weeks the problem was about 85% solved. When I found Mystic Water's "Neem and Tea Tree" shampoo bar, the problem became solved completely.

Since I figure Michelle will eventually retire, I have been trying to find a substitute. Stirling shampoo bar didn't work for me at all (although I'm sure it would be fine for people without my seborrhea problem). Next I tried Lisa's Natural because she has a shampoo bar that has a bunch of Indian herbs/medicinals in it, including Neem. It worked a lot better than Stirling, but after about two months the dandruff and itch began to creep back in. When I switched back to Mystic Waters it was gone within about a week and hasn't come back.

So I guess I'm still looking. I think Lisa's would work perfectly for me if it had a bit MORE of the Neem in it; I can tell it doesn't have much because it doesn't smell weird (neem has a particular scent to it that is very distincting; Lisa's smells almost completely neutral). I also feel like Lisa's is overly cleansing by a little bit.

This is turning into a bit of a ramble, but I can also tell you that my youngest son had really bad eczema on his hands, and when I replaced the liquid pump hand soap in his bathroom with a puck of Williams, it got a lot better within about two weeks. So maybe there is hope for Williams as a shampoo.

Erasmic tallow shave stick.

Horrendous I just couldn't get it to work.

MWF when I could get it to lather it was ok but I struggled to do it consistently. It lasts forever aswell!

Thanks to some good luck and reading excellent reviews on here I’ve managed to avoid bad performing soaps! However, I’m not overly fussed on the Wilkinson Sword soap bowl either. I sniffed it earlier while I was rescuing my Musgo Real cream just to remind myself. Scent wise it’s ok, not really to my taste. Doesn’t lather that badly either for me, but it’s just not that great a product.

I'd just like to remind people that the Wilkinson Sword Stick is a really good soap!. It's a different formula from the bowl soap. Please don't assume all Wilkinson Sword soaps are lackluster on account of the blue bowl.
Quite right! The stick is brilliant.

Top Bottom