What's new

What's the worst soap/cream you own? And why?

I tried Badger Balm brand shave soap. I couldn't generate any lather at all. Decent scent and they make a very good mustache wax imo.

The only soap I couldn’t get to work was Edwin Jagger. It also happens to be the first soap I tried, so I’ve often wondered how it would perform if I tried it again now that I’m more adept at building a soap lather.

An artisanal soap that won't lather. It was reccomended on here by a poster. 8 years later he posted he couldn't get it to lather. I wish I knew that 8 years earlier.

• Haha
Reactions: nav
AOS Sandalwood. I'm talking about the current, non-tallow formula. It smells great, but I could never get a decent lather from it, despite throwing every brush I own at it. Ended up as a shower soap.

Arko (stick) doesn't work for me.

No problem with the scent. It's just drying to my skin, both when it's on my face and for hours after my shave. I'll give it a few more tries, but I'm not too hopeful. Will probably get the soap dish out and use it on my hands.

Last edited:
Arko (stick).

It's just drying to my skin, both when it's on my face and for hours after my shave. I'll give it a few more tries, but I'm not too hopeful. Will probably get the soap dish out and use it on my hands.

I had the same issue with Arko early on. I was overloading the heck out of it (along with everything else for that matter). If you are very careful applying a minimal amount to your face, disregard this message. But a heavy load is overkill with Arko.

The worst lather product I have tried is Veggie Erasmic stick. Brittle soap which sounds like Rice Krispies as the thin walled bubbles pop. I no longer own it, and I think everything in my collection works just fine, if not great, now.

I'd just like to remind people that the Wilkinson Sword Stick is a really good soap!. It's a different formula from the bowl soap. Please don't assume all Wilkinson Sword soaps are lackluster on account of the blue bowl.
Good to know! Thank you

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

I have sensitive skin and my bad soaps are what you'd expect: Arko and Proraso Green. Arko is harsh, apart from the smell, and the traditional Proraso Green menthol just fries my face. But if these work for you, go for it.

I have sensitive skin and my bad soaps are what you'd expect: Arko and Proraso Green. Arko is harsh, apart from the smell, and the traditional Proraso Green menthol just fries my face. But if these work for you, go for it.
The menthol in proraso green also dries out my face and makes it raw and sensitive

I don't own any of soaps/creams (no need to own useless products) I will list but my picks are

Arko - won't lather easily in my water, I need to really work it. And the smell...

Speick - something in it burns my face

Williams - won't lather and it stinks of Arko

Proraso green cream - it BURNS

Wilkinson blue bowl - won't lather

L'occitane cade soap - makes mediocre lather with low slickness, and something in it BURNS

The worst soap currently still in my den is Van der Hagen Luxury shaving soap. However, there are some others that were so bad I no longer have them.
Olivina glycerin soap- It made a decent shower soap, but was useless for shaving.
Ogalalla Bay Rum- the high level of clove ion the scent burned my face so badly, I tossed it in the trash.
Taconic Shave Urban Woods- I hated both the scent and the performance. I gave it away at a shave meet. I hope someone liked it better than I did.

I'll be interested to hear how you feel Williams works as a shampoo. I worry that it might be a bit too cleansing, but I've never actually tried it as a shampoo.

I used to have just horrible seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, which essentially makes for a lot of itching and dandruff. I went onto all kinds of dandruff shampoos without much relief, including prescription anti-fungal shampoos from my dermatologist.

I switched to shampoo bars and within about two weeks the problem was about 85% solved. When I found Mystic Water's "Neem and Tea Tree" shampoo bar, the problem became solved completely.

Since I figure Michelle will eventually retire, I have been trying to find a substitute. Stirling shampoo bar didn't work for me at all (although I'm sure it would be fine for people without my seborrhea problem). Next I tried Lisa's Natural because she has a shampoo bar that has a bunch of Indian herbs/medicinals in it, including Neem. It worked a lot better than Stirling, but after about two months the dandruff and itch began to creep back in. When I switched back to Mystic Waters it was gone within about a week and hasn't come back.

So I guess I'm still looking. I think Lisa's would work perfectly for me if it had a bit MORE of the Neem in it; I can tell it doesn't have much because it doesn't smell weird (neem has a particular scent to it that is very distincting; Lisa's smells almost completely neutral). I also feel like Lisa's is overly cleansing by a little bit.

This is turning into a bit of a ramble, but I can also tell you that my youngest son had really bad eczema on his hands, and when I replaced the liquid pump hand soap in his bathroom with a puck of Williams, it got a lot better within about two weeks. So maybe there is hope for Williams as a shampoo.
You might want to consider Shannon's Soaps.I am blessed with no skin problems but tried some based on Shannon's background in chemistry, biology, and immunology.It is excellent soap for anyone....skin problems or not. Here is some information and a link :
ABOUT ME (SHANNON)

...or Why I'm Not Afraid of Lye

I graduated in 1997 with a degree in Chemistry with a minor in Biology from John Carroll University, in beautiful University Heights, Ohio. It was there I learned to have a healthy caution around dangerous chemicals, but not to be afraid of them. A healthy caution meant that one followed safety regulations, like wearing gloves and goggles, or working in a safety hood. It meant that one was careful so one did not have to strip and shower in front of everyone after one knocked over a beaker of a carcinogen or teratogen. It meant washing one's hands both BEFORE and after using the restroom. And it often included walking out of the science building after a four-hour lab on a Friday evening still wearing one's goggles, because, well, they were so darn comfortable.

I worked for a while in a transplant immunology lab after graduation, but then decided I would rather be a teacher. A couple years later, I earned a teaching certificate in English from Cleveland State and worked as a seventh grade teacher, teaching science and English (and doing other things, like coaching our writing team, or moderating Yearbook and producing it digitally) for seven years.

I have been a stay-at-home mom for a while now, with all the work that that entails! My wonderful daughter loves sneaking bath bombs out of my work area almost as much as her twin toddler brothers love destroying it. I also enjoy cooking and baking, and make a fabulous cheesecake. I also have a small reef tank in my living room. My corals are growing well, but so is the algae, of which there is more than I'd normally like.

Now that I'm busy making and selling handmade bath and body products, the algae situation isn't likely to improve (Who has the time?), but I'm happy to dust off my lab coat, don my goggles and rubber gloves, mix up some lye, and make wonderful soap for my friends, family, and you.

So, how did we get started making soap? Well, it all comes down to genetics. I don't mean that we were born to be soapmakers - genetically programmed to make dynamite bath & body stuff. It's because of the dry, itchy, irritable skin my husband inherited. I tried to find soap that wouldn't irritate my husband's sensitive skin and found that many “soaps” weren't actually soap at all – many are “body bars” or “deodorant bars” that use synthetic cleansers to clean your skin.

The end result was Shannon's Soaps™ – actual soap made with quality ingredients. I've added other bath and body products, like hand made lotions, bath salts, and bath bombs, all made with a focus on mild skin care.

Top Bottom