What's new

What's the worst scent you can imagine?

Any one of the gnarly scents you get to experience in the fire/ems field... my least favorite happen to be 3 week dead guy and GI bleed. *shivers*

Middle of a 90 degree plus August - at the dog park. Dog rolls in deer poop. Not that bad, and it washes off, so we walk down to the river for a swim to wash it off. After a nice swim, same dog hops on to the bank to discover a foot long fish that has been sitting out for at least a week. Dog proceeds to roll in said fish from head to tail for a good 30 seconds before we could peel her off. Dead fish doesn't wash off as well as deer poop. At the time, I had a single cab pickup and were were a good 5 miles from the house. That was a long 5 miles and the worst thing I'd ever smelled.

until...

The same dog got 'caught' a skunk in our back yard. Being the first skunk she's ever encounted, she went at it full speed - headfirst. 'skunked at less than 2 feet-full force. Imagine skunk on the road, except intensified x 1000. Our house aired out for 2 weeks and didn't fully recover for about a month just from the dog walking through to the shower AFTER being bathed 4 times outside. (6 months later, same dog, different skunk, but thankfully she peeled off at about 20 feet and only got a glancing shot.)

The eau de skunk was the worst.

btw-if anyone needs a good de-skunk recipe - PM me.

N

NoelyDeezNutz

Don't ask me how I know this... but.

Urine that was stored in a peanut butter jar for a few weeks.

I opened the lid and closed it in under half a second... it caused 3 people to throw up and cleared a 100x50 room...

I've smelled rotten, liquefied chicken... It's got NOTHING on stale urine...

Don't ask me how I know this... but.

Urine that was stored in a peanut butter jar for a few weeks.

I opened the lid and closed it in under half a second... it caused 3 people to throw up and cleared a 100x50 room...

I've smelled rotten, liquefied chicken... It's got NOTHING on stale urine...

Yes. I know this because when we hunt, we stay in shooting houses for hours, so in an attempt to keep from scaring the deer away, we keep big jugs (usually empty detergent or bleach bottles) to use throughout the season. These do not usually get emptied till after the season is over. They are ripe.

Speaking of other great scents for a shave soap, how about when you are dressing a deer and you accidently puncture the guts with your knife. The smell hits you right in the face. Especially if the deer has been eating well. Nasty.

I was thinking people would follow the Jelly Belly theme and come up with stuff like "old shoe leather". I probably should not have titled the post, "What's the worst scent you can imagine?" and gone with something more like "Rejected scents for shaving soaps".

I don't need to imagine.
Dirty Baby Diapers kept in a "Diaper Genie" that does little if nothing to quash the stink.

If anything it seems to magnify it.

I once opened an MRE which had not been sealed up properly. If we could find a bunch of those, it would only be necessary to lob them into the enemy ranks and, presto, no more war.

Middle of a 90 degree plus August - at the dog park. Dog rolls in deer poop. Not that bad, and it washes off, so we walk down to the river for a swim to wash it off. After a nice swim, same dog hops on to the bank to discover a foot long fish that has been sitting out for at least a week. Dog proceeds to roll in said fish from head to tail for a good 30 seconds before we could peel her off. Dead fish doesn't wash off as well as deer poop. At the time, I had a single cab pickup and were were a good 5 miles from the house. That was a long 5 miles and the worst thing I'd ever smelled.

Ummm.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Old gasoline that has gunked up the carburetor of, say, a lawn mower or a trimmer. You know, the stuff that has thickened to the consistency of the gelatin around the Spam in the jar?

That'd be a great scent for a shaving soap.:blink:

Ok, I got another one that I just remembered. I used to deliver whiskey when I was just a kid and I had some stops early in the morning, around 7. Dead rats in the summer smell worse, but there is something about a dive joint at 7 in the morning that spells reek.

-jim

You delivered whiskey when you were a kid? That sounds like an interesting story that I'd like to hear. Who else would?

Top Bottom