What's new

What's the slickest?

What would you list as the slickest soaps or creams you have used? To me, this is one of the most important characteristics of a soap or cream right next to latherability. If a soap cushions well but isn't very slick (say, Taylor Avocado), my shaves are not bad at all but would so much better with more lubricity (well, that too, but I mean slickness :tongue:). Thoughts?

Dennis

The shea butter-laden soaps &creams from Provence Sante are so slick that skin stretching is almost impossible. QED is also among the slickest products out there

I've got QED [SIZE=-1]Patchouli/Tea Tree/Peppermint glycerin soap. I have used it about 5 times but it is not one I find myself reaching for in the morning. I initially got some sting from it likely because of the high concentration/percentage of essential oils. It may just be one of the EOs that I am sensitive too, but subsequently, it does not sting nearly as much since the first time I used it. I also have a tough time lathering this soap, even with the scrubby Chubby and your tutorial Scotto. Undoubtably, the shaves are really, really close though but just not super slick for me. I put his soap on par with the experience I had to (gasp!) Classic Shaving's sandalwood soap puck. Difficult to lather, but an exceptionally close shave. I can't remember the last time I shaved with that - their sandalwood scent is just nasty.

Dennis
[/SIZE]

For soaps, I like the French shea butter soaps as well - I have the Institute Karite 25% soap, which is not as slick as some of the other brands according other B&B members.

I also like the QED soaps, but I find that the shave sticks lather easier (for me anyhow) than the tubs. But I tend to like to lather on my face, which works best with creams and shave sticks.

As for creams, JM Fraser is about the slickest I've used and the product I turn to most often when I test new razor's or blades.

For creams, I find Cremo-Cream to be by far the slickest thing I've used.

For soap, not much comment, since I haven't used many. QED is slick, but little basis for comparison. I am surprised about problems lathering it - I can get a lather out of either stick or tub that is every bit as thick and whipped as from Taylor Avocado.

These french soaps y'all talk about. What are the brands, how much do they cost, and where are they found? Are they similar at all to Olivia's soaps?

moses said:
For creams, I find Cremo-Cream to be by far the slickest thing I've used.

For soap, not much comment, since I haven't used many. QED is slick, but little basis for comparison. I am surprised about problems lathering it - I can get a lather out of either stick or tub that is every bit as thick and whipped as from Taylor Avocado.

These french soaps y'all talk about. What are the brands, how much do they cost, and where are they found? Are they similar at all to Olivia's soaps?
Perhaps a look in the Shaving Soap Forum?

Alrighty - thanks for the replies. I giggled at the French soaps surrendering to the Shavemacs comment... hehe.

I will put in an order for some of the Frenchy stuff from Baudelaire when their website gets back up and running. I will probably try some of Honey Sue's soaps too. I just received two of Saint Sues soaps, and they smell great, the shave is quite good, but not they are quite as slick as I hoped for. I guess I just want it all in a 3.5 inch puck or cream. :rolleyes:

Dennis

Suzuki said:
As for creams, JM Fraser is about the slickest I've used and the product I turn to most often when I test new razor's or blades.

I was going to mention JM Frasers as well. A very slick cream due to its high glycerin content.

QED for soaps, without a doubt. As far as creams go, it has to be Arko. Even though it has a drugstore cologne smell and requires a higher cream to water ratio, that stuff is extremely lubricating.

Mike02 said:
...and some JM Fraser, apparently. :wink: Available only in Canada or is there a US distributer?

Only in Canada, but they will mail (shipping is very expensive - tub weighs about a pound (equivalent to three tubs of taylors) and costs about CAD$10 - 13 to mail - the tub costs CAD$) Still CAD$23 for a huge tub of cream is a deal.

Here's the link with contact info:

http://www.thebeautyfactory.com/barber.htm

Funny you should mention a US distributor, I was just on the phone with the manufacturer today and asked whether he was getting lots of orders from the US - he said he was, but the shipping was killing them - they're also a very small company so shipping tubs in ones or twos is a lot of work for a company geared towards the barber supply trade. However, he has sold his booster product (good old fashioned barber a/s splashes CAD$8 for a 14oz bottle) through Charles at QED. I asked him about this and he recalled sending Charles some product - I mentioned that Charles stopped selling due to problems with the packaging, to which I was told that they had just changed the packaging.

Anyhow, long story short, I suggested that they call up Charles at QED and gave them his website address, so, if all goes well, you will be able to buy JM Fraser cream in the US. If you want a US distributor, you should call the Beauty House and Charles and lobby them. Even if Charles has to sell it for $13 - $15 to cover the costs of shipping from Canada and make a reasonable mark up, you will more than save on the lower cost of shiping within the US and a 450ml tub of this stuff at that price is still a great deal for a truly great shaving product.

If I get any more info, I'll let you know.

If anything can get you Yanks to play fair on softwood, its the prospect of cross-border trade in JM Frasers!

I would also like to locate some JM Fraser cream, anyone have a source? Any Canadians want to make a swap?
Cheers, DJ.

I agree with Jim. The Honeybee shea butter soaps are the slickest I've used. It gives me about as close to a perfect shave as I've ever had every time I use it......which is almost every day.:thumbup:

I've only used three creams. In descending order:

1) C&E Sweet Almond Oil
2) Geo F. Trumpers Violet
3) Proraso

The C&E Sweet Almond Oil is amazingly slick for me and it lathers up the fastest. The Violet smelled too much like a funeral home but it was pretty slickery as well. Proraso would be last in this bunch.

I look forward to getting more creams and trying them out.

Top Bottom