What's new

What's the slickest?

QED soaps are my favorites of the many soaps I've tried; plenty slick too. I had trouble lathering ANY soap with my Chubby 1. I now use my BK2, Rooney small, or my SR3322 for soaps with wonderful results. (Sold the Chubby as a matter of fact).

John

Dinder1 said:
I would also like to locate some JM Fraser cream, anyone have a source? Any Canadians want to make a swap?
Cheers, DJ.

You can order it directly from the source - see the link in my post above - should come to about $20 - $25 Candian shipped.

So I go home last night irritated about my meager lather with my QED soap. SWMBO and my son were out visiting, so what do I do with the house all to myself? I went to the garage and reclaimed the Hot Pot that my wife uses to warm her horse's bit in the winter :eek: and I headed to the shave den. I have never resorted to using the Hot Pot up to this point as my water heater is set plenty hot, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I start soaking the Chubby (#2, Super) in my mug with hot water while I am getting the Hot Pot going. The water gets to just bubbles coming off the bottom (not boiling - don't want to damage the brush or burn myself) very quickly, and it is indeed a fair amount hotter than the tap. I dump the water out of the mug and refill it off the Hot Pot. I let that get good and hot and then dump that into my mixing bowl and get that warmed up.

So now the fun begins. I set the Chubby on its base on my sink and let the excess water drain out. I run the top of the QED Peppermint/Tea Tree/Patchouli soap under hot tap while the brush is draining. I pick the brush up, turn it upside down and let it drip for a couple seconds. Now this is key - something I have not done before but picked up here from Ron and Scotto. I held the QED tub at an angle over the mixing bowl and went to town with the Chubby for maybe 10 swirls and pumps getting the proto-lather going. Water spilled like crazy into the bowl - way too much water I thought, but since this is practice, I just go with it. I went to the bowl from there and just started whipping. The soap took all that water and then even some more from the Hot Pot, but after a minute, I had slick, meringue-like lather literally filling and flowing out of the bowl! It was crazy - I have never used that much water to build a lather. The entire shave den was filled with the aroma of the soap too and it still had the scent at least two hours later. Wild. It was a real shame dumping that down the sink.

So I did the same thing this morning for my actual shave and got not quite as much lather as the night before as I did not have all the time in the world like previous. Believe it or not, my wife looked at the Hot Pot and did not even look at me sideways. I was amazed. :biggrin: The shave result? An A+ shave again as usual from the QED soap, but not quiiiite as slick as I hoped for. :glare: QED soaps are not all that cushioning for me, but for some reason that lather just makes the razor cut super close, so I guess that is the trade off. It is obviously very good stuff, but I will keep looking for something to compliment it.

Dennis

It is indeed amazing how much water a good soap will hold. A lot of folks panic with this technique when they see the huge pool of water in the bowl, but after whipping it up, it will turn into awesome lather. You just have to be a bit patient.

Swirl on the soap more - I go to town for a good 30 seconds to a minute and really get it loaded; figure at least 30 swirls* before hitting the bowl.

*using my water and conditions - YMMV

Out of all the creams and soaps, the slickest and best in all attributes, I have found, is the Honeybee Spa Shea Butter shaving soap. This soap is truly fantastic and is superior to anything I have ever tried.

Bud

Top Bottom