What's new

Whats the shelf life of DE blades?

I'm currently using some Schick blades from the late 60's. As long as they are stainless they will probably outlast you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently using some Schick blades from the late 60's. As long as they are stainless they will probably outlast you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you come across blades from the 60's? Time travelers?

Last edited:
How did you come across blades from the 60's? Time travelers?
New old stock can still be found if you know where to look. I've found quite a few at antique shops and shows that are older than I am that are still perfectly suited to shave with, but only those that are stainless, carbon steel are usually too rusted to chance using.

I have a bunch of stainless pocket knives & have noticed the edge will oxidase over time. Not a lot but, enough to take the edge down some. I have also noticed some blades have a light coating of oil on them for this Oxidation problem. I highly suspect this has happened to my Supermax blades that used to be sharp & smooth & now tug.

I make sure to stock my blades in plastic bags and placed them inside sealed boxes along with silica gel packs to keep the moisture away.

You should be fine as long as they are stainless and keep them away from moisture, I use mostly NOS blades some from the 70s and they last longer and paired with the right razor provides some of the smoothest shaves.

There are excellent blades that are currently still in production as well.

I have a bunch of stainless pocket knives & have noticed the edge will oxidase over time. Not a lot but, enough to take the edge down some. I have also noticed some blades have a light coating of oil on them for this Oxidation problem. I highly suspect this has happened to my Supermax blades that used to be sharp & smooth & now tug.

I had googled about the same issue and in a dedicated knife forum, it was common knowledge that knives, do loose their edge, if left unused. How much this is an issue about blades, i don't know. Maybe the coating helps the blade counter that.

I trusted other people who like @Jopete have used NOS blades, so i 've bought already enough blades to be shaving for years in the afterlife.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Like others, I have used & enjoyed immensely vintage blades from the 60's - Personna 74's and Schick Plus Platinums are superb. But, those iconic blades were redesigned, I can't prove it was to increase their obsolescence, but manufacturers learned that it is better for them if their products don't last too very long. The climate is changing as well .. so who knows?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've probably got a 20 years stash, all stainless, and I do expect some deterioration over time. However, the whole stash cost me less than what a year's worth of cartridges would cost me, so I'm not overly concerned. In that same time, my beard will change, and so will my skin.

Maybe I'll need to change my prep, or tweak my technique. However, I won't be blade well beyond its comfortable working life, because I can't get hold of any replacement blades, like I had to many times 20 years ago. I'd rather shave with a slightly faded edge, than one that's completely worn out :)

Top Bottom