What's new

What’s the scuttlebutt??

Hello wonderful forum!

You all were super helpful with my last inquiry for a Simpson super badger brush, that I have come here again to learn from this fine community.

Up until now, I have been 100% a face latherer, but from time to time I have read the virtues of bowl lathering, so I’m wondering if I need to scratch the itch for a scuttle (who doesn’t love warm lather??). Does a scuttle produce more lather than face lathering?? I want a good scuttle, I know there are many at various price points, but are the more pricey options better than the cheaper?? What are your favorite scuttles, why?? (Open to all ideas).

Thank you in advance!!

I like the modern scuttle design of my Georgetown Pottery scuttle. It really is a heated lather bowl, not a traditional scuttle. I do not believe a scuttle produces more lather than face lathering. In fact, the greatest lather I get is palm lathering. That said, I produce a lather in my bowl and then proceed to work it further on the face and head, so perhaps I'm a hybrid bowl/face latherer. I've tried the cheaper scuttles, but the GP scuttle is perfect.

Try the search function there are various threads with photos!

I would however encourage you to bowl lather with various sizes bowl first (any peanut, salad, salsa bowl) to get a feeling what size you like.

Scuttle gives you warmth and if it has ridges a bit faster lather.

And decide if you want ceramic or plastic (paa travel scuttle).

Tip a heavy stone bowl preheated with water also works.

And some people like the opposite chilled.....

For me bowl lathering works better as face but that is me ;-)

Have fun

I’ve a lovely handmade scuttle which holds my alum block and cleaning wipes. Forced myself to use it for a couple of months. Now... I use it once a year, always on boxing day. Maybe twice, on a really cold and horrible day.
For whatever reason, I always go back to face lathering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you're a face latherer, there do exist brush scuttles for face latherers just big enough to hold your brush and keep the lather warm, but not big enough to build lather in. I've got one from Dirty Bird Pottery, and I liked it quite a lot before I switched mostly over to cold-water shaving and thus don't use it much anymore.

I usually face lather, but on cold mornings I love my Georgetown Pottery Scuttle.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Shipping, for me, is usually more than whatever I'm buying. I get creative.

I went to the Sally Ann and found a 500ml "French White" mug and an inexpensive china sugar bowl with no handles. I will go to the samovar and fill the mug with hot water, which is then poured into the china bowl to warm it while I put some fresh hot water in the mug. Then I dump the bowl, put it in the mug, and pour off the excess hot water. It's not perfect but it gives me nice warm lather.

I load the brush and build up some lather "on the puck" (I make my own soap) in a separate mug, then pour/scrape the lather into the "scuttle" and whip it up to where I want it. I keep meaning to pick up a scuttle, but then I think about shipping costs again.

For the $5.00 I have invested, it's not so much amazing how well the pig dances but rather that the pig dances at all.

O.H.

I started with a mug, went to a scuttle, tried face lathering for a bit and went back to the scuttle. I fill the chamber with warm water in the fall and winter and just use it as a lather scuttle, sans water, in the spring and summer. I even have a habit of just scooping out a little soap and putting it in the bottom to build lather. I usually do that with a new soap, that way, if I don't like it, I have no problems getting rid of it since it hasn't been lathered on.
Also, I just have the QShave scuttle from the Zon.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. You have given me many to consider. Before investing money in a more expensive alternative, does anyone have experience with this lather bowl?

Looks nice and I like that it’s copper.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. You have given me many to consider. Before investing money in a more expensive alternative, does anyone have experience with this lather bowl?

Looks nice and I like that it’s copper.

That’s probably one of the most favorite lather bowls on this site.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

At the moment, I really enjoy the PAA brush scuttle, as it takes up very little space (because it is very limited) and does a good job keeping my brush warm.

Until my bathroom sink/counter offers a bit more room and is much less volatile, I will lust for a dirty bird pottery brush scuttle. These just seem to be extra nice.

I know it’s not a scuttle in the normal warm lather bowl sense, but for us face latherers it offers us the luxury without having to compromise routine/habits.

I love warm lather. I build my lather in a ceramic mortar bowl from from a mortar and pestle set. I heat my bowl on an electric candle warmer. Of course, I have to be careful using an electric appliance near my sink, but I have it plugged into a GFCI and keep the cord tied so it cannot fall into the water.

Top Bottom