What's new

What's the real story on Simpsons Chubby brushes and shedding?

I've got five good brushes and really don't need another. I've never owned a Simpson and have been looking at the Chubby 2 in Best or Super. I'm looking at a limited edition version Simpsons is selling directly (CH2, Super, Butterscotch) which would cost me about the same price shipped directly from Simpsons as the same version in the ivory handle sold stateside. My concern is shedding. I've read what Simpsons has to say about it and I've experienced some shedding in other brushes I own but only a few years and then, after a time using them, an occasional stray. Simpsons seems to have a fair number of brushes, based on all the reviews here and elsewhere that are, shall we say disappointing when it comes to ongoing shedding, and spending upwards of $250 for a brush that doesn't meet quality expectations would not be a good thing. I guess I'm really looking for feedback on QUALITY, not performance. All thoughts and opinions appreciated. Please don't suggest something else as the Chubby is a specific interest and I could easily pass on it altogether as I like what I've got already. Just always had an interest in this specific brush line.

Shipped cost from Simpson is a little less than $240
proxy.php

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In the last 25 years I have collected over 30 Simpsons. Of these only 1 piece, a Chubby 1, was a true shedder. It was immediately replaced by Mark with no additional costs on my side. Mr Watterson is a very fine Gentleman, a true friend and puts the quality of his masterpieces and the complete satisfaction of his loyal customers above anything else. Simpsons are hand made by skilled workers, with love and care. They are among the finest shaving brushes ever made. True legends.

In the last 25 years I have collected over 30 Simpsons. Of these only 1 piece, a Chubby 1, was a true shedder. It was immediately replaced by Mark with no additional costs on my side. Mr Watterson is a very fine Gentleman, a true friend and puts the quality of his masterpieces and the complete satisfaction of his loyal customers above anything else. Simpsons are hand made by skilled workers, with love and care. They are among the finest shaving brushes ever made. True legends.
Is Mark Watterson the boss at Simpson?

I don't think you have to worry about a shedder, and the fact that you order direct from Simpson mother ship will also keep you covered, granted, If your brush starts shedding years down the road it is probably your fault and you're stuck with it. Losing a hair here and there even years down the road should be expected if you use your brush. What you're looking to buy is a high quality brush from a very reputable business so you have nothing to worry about. Buy it and enjoy.

I don't think you have to worry about a shedder, and the fact that you order direct from Simpson mother ship will also keep you covered, granted, If your brush starts shedding years down the road it is probably your fault and you're stuck with it. Losing a hair here and there even years down the road should be expected if you use your brush. What you're looking to buy is a high quality brush from a very reputable business so you have nothing to worry about. Buy it and enjoy.
All my brushes (five) will still lose an occasional hair and all of them are no newer than 10 years old. That's expected. And they're all quality products. I do know how to take care of them and would expect a Chubby would be the same save for the density of the knot throwing out a few more hairs early on.

If you ever read something like “my Simpson’s started shedding after 35 shaves” or “I haven’t used this brush in 3 years”, be sure that it’s been misused (I’ve had a Berkeley 46 that did that). That’s on you, no matter how sad it is.

Quality-issue Shedding occurs from day 1 and doesn’t stop, and in that case your vendor and Simpson’s will take care of you.

I've decided to take a flyer on the Chubby2 Super, standard ivory handle (don't want to spend another $50 for a butterscotch handle). Ordering directly from Simpson. Not sure I'll save any money in the end but I like the idea of ordering directly from them, seems exotic! Thanks for the input, folks.

I've decided to take a flyer on the Chubby2 Super, standard ivory handle (don't want to spend another $50 for a butterscotch handle). Ordering directly from Simpson. Not sure I'll save any money in the end but I like the idea of ordering directly from them, seems exotic! Thanks for the input, folks.
I've had very good experiences ordering direct from Simpson to CONUS. So good I will likely not ever order from a vendor again, I'll go straight to the source. Enjoy the Chubby!

Reactions: CCS
I have one Simpson brush, also a chubby, and a generous gift. I have not seen a single hair shed. I can't say if that is normal or not. However, I definitely enjoy using it.

I've had very good experiences ordering direct from Simpson to CONUS. So good I will likely not ever order from a vendor again, I'll go straight to the source. Enjoy the Chubby!
I've had the same experience ordering from them directly. And it gets here very quickly all things considered. Sometimes you can can deals from WCS and Maggard on the standard brushes and those should not be over looked, either. I would advise against purchasing a brush from Amazon- and if you must, be sure it's not an already bloomed brush.

I took care of mine, and the thing shed 10 hairs a shave until I decided to retire it. I won't say I will never buy another Simpson but it's the only brush that has done that, and if you search for Simpson brush shedding, there are countless threads on it.

I have to say I have a Simpson Chubby that shed several hairs each time I have used it from the beginning. The seller I purchased it from yrs ago basically quit responding at all. I personally have never even considered another Simpson because of it. I am not a wealthy man and that was a major splurge for me.

Top Bottom