What's new

What's the real story on Simpsons Chubby brushes and shedding?

I have owned several Simpson Best Badgers. Everyone (with the exception of the Wee Scot) has lost one or two hairs with each use. The Synthetic have never lost one.

Well, to conclude this thread for the time being. Simpson can only do a Paypal sale and PP has a fair amount of currency exchange fees that make buying a brush direct only a few dollars less than buying from a stateside vendor so I cancelled the sale. Hopefully, I can get something in the near future from a vendor with a sale or coupon code. I needed this like another hole in the head as I don't consider myself a collector - just like a little variety.
I was able to purchase a Simpson's Chubby 2 In Super for $178.03 on Amazon (June 28th this year-no shedding either). I also own a Chubby 3(12 years), Chubby 2 (14 years), and Duke 3(12 years) all in Best and they have never shed hairs.

marty

It's really interesting with the shed/no shed stories. However, I've decided I have enough badger brushes already and am going to look around for one more nicely handled boar after discovering just how good my old $10 Omega 10065 brush that I hadn't used in years (badger snob and all) is. Hate the handle, LOVE the brush. I'll probably be able to find one with a classic turned faux ivory handle and no dyed banded bristles for less than $50.

In the last 25 years I have collected over 30 Simpsons. Of these only 1 piece, a Chubby 1, was a true shedder. It was immediately replaced by Mark with no additional costs on my side. Mr Watterson is a very fine Gentleman, a true friend and puts the quality of his masterpieces and the complete satisfaction of his loyal customers above anything else. Simpsons are hand made by skilled workers, with love and care. They are among the finest shaving brushes ever made. True legends.
This post pretty much says it all.
I have quite a few Simpsons, and have never had a shedder. Every brush, from any manufacturer is capable of shedding a hair from time to time.

Just use it, and enjoy it!

It's really interesting with the shed/no shed stories. However, I've decided I have enough badger brushes already and am going to look around for one more nicely handled boar after discovering just how good my old $10 Omega 10065 brush that I hadn't used in years (badger snob and all) is. Hate the handle, LOVE the brush. I'll probably be able to find one with a classic turned faux ivory handle and no dyed banded bristles for less than $50.
Try a Semogue Owners Club mistura. It’s mixed, about $60, and a fantastic brush.

Try a Semogue Owners Club mistura. It’s mixed, about $60, and a fantastic brush.
Funny, I was just looking at that very brush the other day but I've got a very good badger/boar brush with the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor which I've had for many years. That Semogue looks like a nice brush. You can get it with a butterscotch handle as well.

The cure for shedder brushes as far as I'm concerned has to do with the after shaving treatment. What works for me is as follows:

1. Rinse the knot thoroughly after the shaving session;
  2. Gently squeeze the knot to remove any standing and absorbed water;
  3. Shake the brush a few times to remove any further standing water droplets;
  4. Gently rub the brush across a dry bath towel to aerate the tips;
  5. Dry off the handle with a hand towel to remove any standing water there;
  6. Stand the brush on its handle, bristles up, for 12-48 hrs.

I have a few different simpsons and the chubby 2 super has shed since day one. Nowadays its shedding shorter hairs like theyre breaking off. Thankfully thats the only one that sheds.

Good choice. I've somehow gravitated from badger to boar and synthetic, and rarely touch my badger brushes.

I think my turning point was my Paladin experience. A magnificently beautiful brush, very well made, very dense, dreamy face feel, non-shedding, lather monster. It seemed the perfect brush...but it was also very stingy with the lather. No amount of adjustment to my soap/water mixture seemed to help.

With my cheap boar brushes and synthetics I never seem to have any problem moving the lather from brush to face. Maybe it was me, maybe technique, but I like easy - and that is what I get with boar and synthetic. The only badger still in my rotation is mixed with boar - a Semogue Mistura, but I still seem to prefer pure boar.

Good choice. I've somehow gravitated from badger to boar and synthetic, and rarely touch my badger brushes.

I think my turning point was my Paladin experience. A magnificently beautiful brush, very well made, very dense, dreamy face feel, non-shedding, lather monster. It seemed the perfect brush...but it was also very stingy with the lather. No amount of adjustment to my soap/water mixture seemed to help.

With my cheap boar brushes and synthetics I never seem to have any problem moving the lather from brush to face. Maybe it was me, maybe technique, but I like easy - and that is what I get with boar and synthetic. The only badger still in my rotation is mixed with boar - a Semogue Mistura, but I still seem to prefer pure boar.
I have to say, I have no issues with my badger brushes which consist of: Kent BK4, Kent BK8, Edwin Jagger, T&H (Rooney). All are silvertip save for the Jagger which is labeled "super" but it seems like silvertip to me. All lather soaps or creams without issue or weirdness.

Funny, I was just looking at that very brush the other day but I've got a very good badger/boar brush with the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor which I've had for many years. That Semogue looks like a nice brush. You can get it with a butterscotch handle as well.
That’s the one I have.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My experience with Simpsons Chubby brushes is rather limited, in that I only have the Chubby 1 in Best, Super, and Manchurian, and the Chubby 2 in Best, Super, Manchurian, and SiLVERTiP (and two CH2 synthetics). None have been shedders. Nor have any of the other 20+ Simpsons I own. Granted, I've only owned about 30 Simpsons in total, so I may be an outlier.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My experience with Simpsons Chubby brushes is rather limited, in that I only have the Chubby 1 in Best, Super, and Manchurian, and the Chubby 2 in Best, Super, Manchurian, and SiLVERTiP (and two CH2 synthetics). None have been shedders. Nor have any of the other 20+ Simpsons I own. Granted, I've only owned about 30 Simpsons in total, so I may be an outlier.
It is great to see you post again, you have been missed; I hope you are well.

A little late to this thread but I have a Chubby 2 in best badger that has shed during the whole first year I owned it. I initially put it down to break-in, but it only got worse over time. It's up to 10+ hairs per shave now, and all my soaps are full of shed hairs.

I would encourage anyone who gets a shedder to contact the seller, and/or Simpsons, quickly. I think they will replace them, but only within the first year. I had an unhelpful seller who claimed that it had been more than a year (in fact, I contacted him about a week before the year was up--I hadn't realized I was so close to the cutoff). I contacted Simpsons and they were very helpful and immediately set up a three-way email chain between themselves, the seller (who suddenly became more helpful), and myself. I'm impressed with Simpsons service; I think many manufacturers would have shrugged off bad retailer behavior as not their problem. I shipped the brush back to the retailer and am awaiting a replacement.

I do believe this was a quality-control issue, as I tried to be as careful with this brush (by far my most expensive) as I could. I never used water too hot to hold my hand under. I carefully rinsed all the soap out after every shave, gently squeezing until the water ran clear, then shook off the excess and wiped the brush on a towel. I never shaved more frequently than every other day to give the brush time to dry, and always left it out on the sink with plenty of ventilation. And as Simpsons recommends I used a painting motion rather than splaying on my face.

It's a shame this is such a common issue with these brushes because I can't find anything else that feels as nice. Perhaps I'll try a synthetic Chubby next.

I gave up on the idea of the Chubby awhile ago but I did buy a Trafalgar T2 synthetic. So far, all the fiber hairs have stayed where they belong but I'm not overly impressed with this much loved synthetic brush. It's OK for the $22 it cost me but Simpsons has dropped off my radar. Glad they're taking care of your issue.

A picture probably would say more of my feelings of Chubby shedding than anything, and then some added text on my part.

My Simpson Collection.jpg

You'll see my Chubbies in the bottom row of standing brushes, and the second row up. 9 that I count from that. My photo is out of date as I have parted with some of the brushes, but added far more. Some are used, some are new. I had one Chubby that started off shedding some hair at the beginning, about 10 hairs per shave, and it abated after 10 uses. As to my other Chubbies, never a problem. As for all those other Simpson brushes? No problems. Simpson does not have a quality problem. Sorry for the slight necropost, it was in my recommended threads to read.

I had a chubby 3 badger, well looked after and after a year started to shed hairs. Nothing worse to find hairs in your soap, razor. Gave up on it.

I contrast, a similar SV badger......of the sv soap maker, has never shed and is used every second day. Superb brush.

A picture probably would say more of my feelings of Chubby shedding than anything, and then some added text on my part.

View attachment 1595167

You'll see my Chubbies in the bottom row of standing brushes, and the second row up. 9 that I count from that. My photo is out of date as I have parted with some of the brushes, but added far more. Some are used, some are new. I had one Chubby that started off shedding some hair at the beginning, about 10 hairs per shave, and it abated after 10 uses. As to my other Chubbies, never a problem. As for all those other Simpson brushes? No problems. Simpson does not have a quality problem. Sorry for the slight necropost, it was in my recommended threads to read.
That is quite a Simpson collection, enjoy

Doug

I had a chubby 3 badger, well looked after and after a year started to shed hairs. Nothing worse to find hairs in your soap, razor. Gave up on it.

I contrast, a similar SV badger......of the sv soap maker, has never shed and is used every second day. Superb brush.
I love the SV brushes, handle is a little bulky for my taste but the knot is superb, and their customer service is amazing.

Doug

Top Bottom