What's new

What's the REAL shelf life of instant coffee ?

OK, my thoughts on instant coffee are the same as 95% of the bean roasters here, however, nothing beats a good Nescafe' Greek Frappe' , the flavor of the spray dried coffee and it's ability to turn into a " cream " makes it unique. But the can lasts a long time, I don't make a frappe' or Dalgona every day ....... what's your opinion on instant coffee shelf life ?

I wonder about this also. I have some individual Nescafe satchels that are 5+ years old and I should probably throw those out as I worry more about plastic contamination as they continue to sit. I am sure I have drank a few of them past their expiration date and it tasted okay.

I also have an unopened glass jar of UCC that is a couple of years past its expiration date. I suspect it is still okay, though without the same flavor.

But if you are asking about when does the taste start to go off before it is technically expired, then I would think that has a lot to do with how it is stored and how many times the container was opened and exposed to fresh air to help it degrade.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I drink mostly instant coffee out here in Australia. I have found that if the coffee can/jar is opened and left in the pantry for some time it does go hard and tastes horrible. A sealed can/jar out of date I should think would be okay for a little while. I am not sure that I would try one that is years and years out of date.

I've had one more than 5 years old. Still tasted like the first time I opened it. (Is that good or bad?)

~Best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup~

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Mighty good question. I imagine it varies a lot from product to product and with the conditions under which it's stored.

For something open, you can probably just tell with good sniff or a tiny taste. Who knows for something sealed.

I have an unopened jar of Medaglia D'Oro that's been around for right about 4 years (I recall why I bought it). It has no best by date on it. I really don't know when I'll have a reason to open it, so I may just crack the seal and see what we got.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I wonder about this also. I have some individual Nescafe satchels that are 5+ years old and I should probably throw those out as I worry more about plastic contamination as they continue to sit. I am sure I have drank a few of them past their expiration date and it tasted okay.

I also have an unopened glass jar of UCC that is a couple of years past its expiration date. I suspect it is still okay, though without the same flavor.

But if you are asking about when does the taste start to go off before it is technically expired, then I would think that has a lot to do with how it is stored and how many times the container was opened and exposed to fresh air to help it degrade.

Just curious what number you have of the ucc? I am currently drinking the ucc 113. (I ran out of beans and am waiting to visit the store, so my backup).

I've never really thought about instant expiring.. I guess if its sealed up in a jar it should be ok for a few years? Like you probably? won't get sick from it. I don't about those 3 in 1 types that include the sugar and milk powder...

Just curious what number you have of the ucc? I am currently drinking the ucc 113. (I ran out of beans and am waiting to visit the store, so my backup).

I've never really thought about instant expiring.. I guess if its sealed up in a jar it should be ok for a few years? Like you probably? won't get sick from it. I don't about those 3 in 1 types that include the sugar and milk powder...
Mine is UCC 117. I had tried it while traveling and visiting someone's home. I thought it was pretty good for instant coffee, so purchased a jar when I came across it. I also thought it would serve as a nice backup during the winter, when it is more difficult to roast coffee outside. But it has sat for some years now to the point I almost forgot about it. The expiration date is Jan 2019, so I imagine it would still taste okay. Though I like the idea of having a backup, so still have not opened. I would be curious to try them all over a series of days/weeks, though it is a bit expensive just to try them all at once.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

There's no way it'll spoil to the extent that it'll be harmful. It'll just lose quality. I imagine that the stuff that includes some sort of creamer could go rancid.

There's no way it'll spoil to the extent that it'll be harmful. It'll just lose quality. I imagine that the stuff that includes some sort of creamer could go rancid.
That's what I was wondering about, since it's "dried" it should last a few months with decent " instant coffee ' flavor. By the way, what is UCC coffee ?

UCC is the Ueshima Coffee Co based in Japan. They make an instant coffee know as "The Blend" in a couple of different recipes. I believe 117 and 114 are the more common (more popular??) blends they produce but I could also be wrong about that.

Some information I found online from a vendor selling this coffee:
  • 114 - Mild blend made from coffee beans from Brazil and Ecuador with slightly higher acidity.
  • 117 - Compare with 114, is a full bodied coffee with perfect levels of acidity, aroma and smooth flavor intensity from mixture of different beans from around the UCC estates.
  • 113 - Consists of coffee beans from Vietnam and Brazil, and has a softer taste.
  • 118 - Holds the blending expertise accumulated for half a century on the making of the regular ground coffee. Pure and strong taste of coffee.
proxy.php

UCC is the Ueshima Coffee Co based in Japan. They make an instant coffee know as "The Blend" in a couple of different recipes. I believe 117 and 114 are the more common (more popular??) blends they produce but I could also be wrong about that.
Very interesting !...Never saw these before...The #113 coffee must have some Robusta in it..
Some information I found online from a vendor selling this coffee:
  • 114 - Mild blend made from coffee beans from Brazil and Ecuador with slightly higher acidity.
  • 117 - Compare with 114, is a full bodied coffee with perfect levels of acidity, aroma and smooth flavor intensity from mixture of different beans from around the UCC estates.
  • 113 - Consists of coffee beans from Vietnam and Brazil, and has a softer taste.
  • 118 - Holds the blending expertise accumulated for half a century on the making of the regular ground coffee. Pure and strong taste of coffee.
proxy.php

I'm expecting a pound of Najjar Turkish. While I'm able to drink a cup a day that's still a long time on the shelf. I'm going to try and keep it in a vacuum jar; at least there's hope, right?

I'm expecting a pound of Najjar Turkish. While I'm able to drink a cup a day that's still a long time on the shelf. I'm going to try and keep it in a vacuum jar; at least there's hope, right?
I love Turkish coffee, that Robusta flavor is so good !....But I can't drink it without cream and sugar, preferably with cardamom....

Top Bottom