What's new

Whats the purpose of buying MULTIPLE DE razors?

For me, it comes down to wanting to try different razors with different characteristics, to see what is best for me... When I first switched to DE shaving, I figured I would continue to shave two or three times a week - the maximum I could get away with using the mach3, but now I'm settling into shaving almost every day. I think it's better for keeping my razor bumps/ingrown hairs at bay. So my needs are changing. My first razor, an Edwin Jagger DE89, excels at taking down several days of growth, but I'm finding it a bit too rough for daily shaving. As a result, I'm looking into some well-regarded "gentle" and "mild" vintage razors to meet the need.

I'm also just an enthusiast when it comes to vintage stuff... So there's that.

I would have never guessed that the DE89 would be too rough for daily shaving from what I read it is a very mild razor! Hopefully other will chime in on this!

I shave every other day but would like to change that to daily and I think my iKon Standard is too aggressive for that so I was thinking about the Super Speed and trying to find out if that is mild enough for a daily shave!

It's the neverending search for the perfect razor. And when we find it, we such for a "more perfect" razor.

proxy.php

For me it is about using razors from different periods and learning how to get a smooth shave with each one. So the journey continues....Tim ;)

It's the neverending search for the perfect razor. And when we find it, we such for a "more perfect" razor.

This seems to be one of the top reasons, at least for me. Same goes for the other stuff too. It's knowing when to stop. Unfortunately, it's possible that one of the first ones we got actually was the perfect one, and all the rest were a mistake.

I thought I was a shaving enthusiast until I joined this site and seen some of you guys wares. Now I usually collect various shaving creams, aftershave balms and blades, but not DE razors themselves.

For you guys that have 10 20 30 DE razors, whats the purpose? Do you shave with a different DE everyday or do you just like to collect them like people collect old signs, bottle caps, and coins :tongue_sm?

This question is a joke, right?

I would have never guessed that the DE89 would be too rough for daily shaving from what I read it is a very mild razor! Hopefully other will chime in on this!

I shave every other day but would like to change that to daily and I think my iKon Standard is too aggressive for that so I was thinking about the Super Speed and trying to find out if that is mild enough for a daily shave!

The DE89 is generally regarded as a mild razor, but for me it always does better when there is more than a day's growth. Less than that, and I get some noticeable skin irritation. That said, I'm probably in the minority on this. ...not sure how the DE89 compares with the Ikon you are using in terms of blade angle, exposure, etc... It may be just the ticket for you.

For what it's worth, my 40s Super Speed works well for daily shaving. It's very gentle on my skin.

Curiosity
I appreciate old stuff that works so well, craftsmanship, shaving, engineering and manufacuring history in a usable tool.

Variety is nice...keeps you on your toes I guess. They say you should alternate hands when brushing teeth, load your silverware into different slots in the drawer, etc. to encourage brain plasticity. Same goes for using multiple DEs!

All kidding (not really) aside, I just got the ATT CC sets with the intention of getting rid of all my "beginner" DEs, but looking at my 34C now I can't see myself parting with it. It's just too pretty and cute, not to mention badass.

I think if I had to shave with just one razor, one blade type, one soap, and one brush forever, it would eventually reduce the task to a daily chore for me in the long run. This way, the variety gives me extra pleasure from an otherwise routine task. Learning to appreciate different types of shaves and optimizing for different tools/tasks is a nice bonus. Going from disliking shaving to looking forward to it is a huge life improvement in my book.

Its the quest for better shave. We want irritation free, close and smooth shave. And when it becomes a hobby you want better and better; you are never 100% satisfied. And in my opinion Razor and blade is the most important contributor in quality of shaving.

I started with DE89. Eventually I started trying more and more aggressive razors, Merkur future, Muhle R41 etc. Then I moved to slants, Razorock stealth, finally ATT slant S1 and S2. Now my favourite is the slant razors.

Also as mentioned earlier compared to other hobbies, like shoes, watches, cars, pens, bags etc; collecting razors is relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:

+10. I both use and collect. If I like the way they shave I'll keep one in rotation and find a really nice one for display in the collection. If I don't like the way they shave but they are rare, unusual, or just plain pretty then I'll find a nice one for display and let the user grade one go. All razor that I own have been used by me through at least a blade or two before going to their respective spots.

For me, I enjoy the history aspect, shaving with a piece of history.

I have about eight razors in rotation, but every now and then I will try something else from my collection.

For the past thirty years I have collected pocket knives, no clue how many I have. When I retired I was thinking that with reduced funds
that hobby was a bit too pricey. I found B&B and have been able to kill two birds with one stone. A chore has turned into a daily pleasure and razors are much cheaper than knives. It's fun for me to try the different razors. Love them!

Here's a good reason to have a 2nd razor:

[
]For about two years now, I had been using an Edwin Jagger DE (I don't remember the model) and unfortunately, it broke. The threading on the handle wore away. I had to go buy an emergency pack of Bic single blade razors to get me through the day.

Question 1 - Is this common with Edwin Jagger razors ? I'm bummed about it. I loved that razor and I was hoping it would be a lifetime purchase.

Question 2 - What are the best disposable razors to use before I buy a new razor?I picked up the Bic single blades and while they have been acceptable, are there any better choices?

And before ore anyone asks, I am still using soap and a boar brush (Omega). The razor is the only part of my shave routine that has changed.

Thank you for reading.[
]

Posted in the Double Edge Razor forum

Always searching for something better. Took me a while to admit I prefer an aggressive razor. Turned out my favorite (and smoothest shave) is my Pearl SS04 open comb which is even more aggressive than my Gillette SA set on 9. So, I could really just stop looking right now. But, the shiny bits attract me like a nicely worn summer dress in may. So, I've got a travel tech w/kit on it's way as well.

Top Bottom