What's new

Whats the purpose of buying MULTIPLE DE razors?

This is every razor I've ever purchased since getting wrapped up in this whole shaving entanglement last summer.

Green (8) is what sits in the rack in my den. This is the only category that's "ranked" from favorite (and most used) to least. I suppose you could call it a rotation, but really only the top 4 make up the rotation. The other 4 are either kept for their coolness points, or for a change of pace every now and then. I was hoping to keep this # down to 6, but then I got bit by the SE bug and couldn't bring myself to boot any of the DEs out of the den.

Yellow (2) are permanent fixtures in their respective locations.

Orange (7) are ones that I've decided to stash. Mainly backups and loaners to spread the gospel to new converts. The NEW SC is the only one in this group that serves as a change-up option because it happens to be the only razor in which I enjoyed Feather blades.

Red (6) are razors that I still own, but are going to be PIF'd or sold in due time. Tried them out, but they either didn't suit my preferences or were redundant with what I already have. The EJ was my first safety razor.

Gray (3) are razors that I've PIF'd to friends over the holidays and a birthday. All of them were extras in lot auctions I won on the bay. Any razors currently marked Red that I eventually sell or PIF will end up in this category.

Reminds me of gear spreadsheets I used to get into when I played WoW. For every nerdy hobby, there is a spreadsheet!

I have just a few.. (note, I'm a TTO/butterfly type)

A couple of cheap ones that I got when I first started, then wanted something nicer, so went with a Parker R96.

Then wanted to know what the difference really was between aggresive and mild, so got a Gillette black beauty adjustable.

Went back to my Parker, never really looked back since as for me, it's as good as it gets... the Gillette gets used once in a while for the heck of it.

I buy more than one not because I want to own a bunch of razors but because I'm curious to know if there's something 'better'. Whether it's razors, knives, watches, pens, denim, etc., I am curious about what's good and why. Some of it's just curiosity and some of it is trying to find the best tool. The problem is that buying is a lot easier than selling so a collection can sometimes accumulate.

I have about 25-30 modern and about a dozen vintage Gillettes.

Some of my modern ones have had little or no use. I wonder if there is somewhere I could donate these to and get a tax deduction. Same goes for a few dozen soaps/aftershaves that I've decided I'm not going to use.

Allen
Allen, I doubt there's anywhere to donate them that would get you any kind of tax deduction worth worrying about. I mean, you could take them to your local Goodwill or similar store, and they would write you a receipt, but they'd probably say the razors are only worth about 10 bucks.

You could always PIF them or sell them. As for where to sell, you can sell them right here on this site when you meet the requirements, or you can sell them on eBay or craigslist. Or get an etsy store. Or whatever.

I bought a few examples of vintage Gillette's from open comb models made before WWI to the more "high tech" models up through the 70's. Buying vintage shavers has become somewhat of a minor addiction, not for any sort of investment, just personal interest. One thing for sure, they'll never make any more (of the originals that is).

Allen, I doubt there's anywhere to donate them that would get you any kind of tax deduction worth worrying about. I mean, you could take them to your local Goodwill or similar store, and they would write you a receipt, but they'd probably say the razors are only worth about 10 bucks.
Goodwill gives you a blank receipt, and you can write in any value you want. They don't care what YOU think a Bottom-dial 195 with case in NOS condition is worth, they're still going to sell it for $10. Trying to explain a $3,500 deduction to the IRS is a whole 'nother matter.

I have a kit for the office shower room and another for the road. Add one at home, that makes three handy ones by necessity. I keep a good twinblade handle for if I get pushed in a hurry. Vintage travel razors and a vintage adjustable I picked up because I can.

I have somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50ish and never use the same razor twice in a row(or in a month for that matter). I just like the variety, and different looks of different razors. I have slowed down a bit on the razor collecting, but I'm now onto software collecting. I now have about 40ish different soaps and creams.

My father worked for Gillette, so when he passed, I inherited a substantial stash or razors. Over the years I have added to the collection. I simply enjoy collecting them, using them, and looking at a work of art crafted long before I was born.

I have 4 - started with a Merkur 23C and in case I dropped it and broke it I have a Merkur 1904/1906 (always have a back-up!). I used them for a year and then decided to get the one that Rick Harrison (from Pawn Stars) advertises at Walmart to see what it was like. I just received the ATT M1 with Kronos handle because I wanted an expensive stainless steel razor! I sent the 23C and the TTO from Walmart to my 2nd home in the Philippines so my nephew's-in-law can use them to learn the real art of shaving and so I have razors there when I go over. Now I have the ATT as the primary daily shaver and the 1904/1906 as a back-up.

When I first started I bought several razors just to see if one was better than the other. When I landed on Merkur I stayed put and haven't changed. I got rid of all my other razors and now I just stick with one.

The vintage Gillette razors are little bits of history never to be duplicated. It saves them from ending up in a landfills. Some of the razors I have come across were in outstanding condition and they didn't cost much. Now they sit on a shelf, safe from the landfill monster.

I have multiple razors in my den, I like variety. Each razor has its own personality in how it shaves. Vintage Gillettes, are a piece of history that personally never becomes outdated. It is from an era when quality and craftsmanship was the norm.

I have the three Merkur adjustables, and what with the differences in razor blades... I figure the potential combinations of different experiences, before factoring software, to be astronomical. IF I ever get complacent of these options, I have a Feather DX which I look at with interest and trepidation...

(I might buy another razor.... someday...)

For me, it's in search of the perfect razor.
I've about 12 razors, tried a Tech which was my original,
Then a Fatboy,
Then a Pils,
Finally settled on a Progress (Mergress XL) which was The One.
Tried improving on it by getting the Digress.
Still thought I could do better by going vintage with an (Apollo) slant
I then realised the slant was the answer and got a Merkur slant.
Came across a Red Tip and that was it! loved it so much bought another as backup and I was a happy bunny.
Saw the rave reviews of the ATT and got the 5 piece set. Tried the variants and settled at last on the R1 and used it daily since last summer.
However I knew I could do better and waited for the ATT slant open comb.
Been using the ATT S2 continuously since and no more urges for the next razor...

I should consider selling off the other razors...

Some time back for a period of about two weeks I was scouring Epay for vintage Gillette's. Had to get some birth-year/quarter slim adjustables (my 'astrological symbol' is H3) and some super speed's, a couple old-styles (wanted to own a razor that could have theoretically been aboard the Titanic).

I personally don't know how someone can only own one razor, or even just two for that matter. If so, you are a better person than I am. Certainly have more will power.

For me, it's about finding a DE that WORKS FOR MOI'. I have tried several Gillette DEs, but was always underwhelmed with the shave I got. Always ended up going back to the Schick disposable that I've used for years.

Then I tried a Schick Krona. Made all of the difference in the world. While I'm still working on perfecting my DE technique, I can get a DFS out of the Krona on a regular basis. I still have the Gillette models, but don't plan on using them anytime soon.

All DE's are not created equal.

Beerman

For me, it comes down to wanting to try different razors with different characteristics, to see what is best for me... When I first switched to DE shaving, I figured I would continue to shave two or three times a week - the maximum I could get away with using the mach3, but now I'm settling into shaving almost every day. I think it's better for keeping my razor bumps/ingrown hairs at bay. So my needs are changing. My first razor, an Edwin Jagger DE89, excels at taking down several days of growth, but I'm finding it a bit too rough for daily shaving. As a result, I'm looking into some well-regarded "gentle" and "mild" vintage razors to meet the need.

I'm also just an enthusiast when it comes to vintage stuff... So there's that.

Top Bottom