What's new

What's the purpose of an aftershave splash?

I always assumed that the purpose of an alcohol based aftershave splash was to A: Act as an antiseptic for any nicks or cuts; B: to tighten and "tone" by closing the pores; and C: as a bonus, to act as a lighter version of a cologne by providing a nice fragrance.

Since alcohol by it's very nature has a drying effect, I always assumed that any alcohol based aftershave splash would be somewhat drying, and therefore that if you needed or desired any kind of moisturizing at all, you should use an aftershave balm, as that is what they are for.

Thoughts?

I use both. The aftershave for the antiseptic, tightening and the scent, then a balm (lotion) to put in the moisture that the aftershave dries up. Works well for me.

Most aftershaves have moisturizers in them (read the label of one). You can add more ingredients to your aftershave if you feel it does not moisturize enough. A couple of drops of aloe and glycerin make a noticeable difference.

If you can't seem to get it the way you like it there is no "law" against putting a drop of ASB in your hand then dropping on some aftershave and blending it together (in your hand) before applying it to your face. I've done this a lot lately as this winter seems a little dryer than normal for us around here

proxy.php

Most aftershaves have moisturizers in them (read the label of one). You can add more ingredients to your aftershave if you feel it does not moisturize enough. A couple of drops of aloe and glycerin make a noticeable difference.

If you can't seem to get it the way you like it there is no "law" against putting a drop of ASB in your hand then dropping on some aftershave and blending it together (in your hand) before applying it to your face. I've done this a lot lately as this winter seems a little dryer than normal for us around here

proxy.php

Looking at the label there, I don't see anything that I would expect to provide any noticeable moisturizing. There is water, but that evaporates. According to the label, it cools, exhilarates, soothes, helps nicks, and has a suave, masculine fragrance. Nothing about moisturizing, as that is not one of it's intended purposes. I do know that some alcohol based aftershave splashes add some ingredients that may be considered "moisturizing", but it would seem they are there in an attempt to mitigate the alcohol at best. I can't see anything that is intended to moisturize having alcohol as it's main ingredient. Isn't that more the purpose of balms?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I guess it depends on the splash. I just ordered some Lucky Tiger after researching aftershaves. It has a few ingredients that all help to keep the skin hydrated.

Lots of balms also have alcohol and most commercial splashes have stuff like glycerin or propylene glycol as moisturizing agents.
I do wonder how much of the rise of commercial balms was more about marketing moisturizers to men than anything else.
Personally since I have to be quite choosy on what is in moisturizers I use (pore clogging nightmares) I prefer a splash and then my own choice of moisturizer which I use also on the rest of my face.

I guess it depends on the splash. I just ordered some Lucky Tiger after researching aftershaves. It has a few ingredients that all help to keep the skin hydrated.

That does look good - but I don't see any alcohol in it, and I was referring specifically to traditional splashes which have alcohol as a main ingredient.

Ingredients:
Purified Water (Aqua), Polysorbate 20, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Sodium Hydroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A Palmitate), Trisodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance (Citrus Essential Oils).

Look at the ingredients in the Speick A/S it has some goodies in it and leaves my skin feeling smooth and moisturized and it has alcohol in it and I don't feel its drying at all and I have very sensitive skin.

Look at the ingredients in the Speick A/S it has some goodies in it and leaves my skin feeling smooth and moisturized and it has alcohol in it and I don't feel its drying at all and I have very sensitive skin.

Speick may be my favorite aftershave - and it makes my face feel great too, and it certainly doesn't dry my face out; however it doesn't contain any moisturizing ingredients per se. It does contain a couple of plant oils, but those are probably there for their scents.

My point is this: I see a lot of people critiquing alcohol-based aftershave splashes by commenting on the lack of moisturizing properties. However, we shouldn't really expect them to have significant moisturizing properties. It's like critiquing a moped for it's lack of cargo space.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have some Speick balm coming and I'm really looking forward to it. The splash has alcohol and alum in it. I'd rather not have the burn and alum dries my skin, so the balm makes more sense for me.

Maybe Im just lucky, but Ive never had any alcohol AS 'dry' my face out. Almost all I've ever tried made my face feel really good. All of the balms I have tried make my face feel greasy.
To answer the question though, I always thought aftershave splashes first purpose was to be an antiseptic and astringent. Then again, in this day and age I think it would be VERY rare to find a case of infection caused by shaving.
If you are looking for a moisterizer you should look into balms. A lot of people use both, first splash then balm.

Last edited:
I always assumed that the purpose of an alcohol based aftershave splash was to A: Act as an antiseptic for any nicks or cuts; B: to tighten and "tone" by closing the pores; and C: as a bonus, to act as a lighter version of a cologne by providing a nice fragrance.

Since alcohol by it's very nature has a drying effect, I always assumed that any alcohol based aftershave splash would be somewhat drying, and therefore that if you needed or desired any kind of moisturizing at all, you should use an aftershave balm, as that is what they are for.

Thoughts?

Quite a few splashes have a little aloe or similar moisturizer.
but no law against adding a smear of Shea butter or other cream afterward.

Aloha,

Guess I'm lucky to live in Hawaii where the humidity keeps everything moisturized all year round. I also have oily skin which minimizes the drying effect of the alcohol. I love alcohol in my AS for the slight burn and cooling effect. I am not sure if the alcohol is there as an antiseptic or merely an astringent and carrier liquid. But the alcohol does take away some of the oily shine that I normally start the day with and makes my skin look normal. I do use Nivea AS Balm once in a while mostly cause I like the smell. Unsure if the balms have any antiseptic qualities but if they're all like the Nivea Balm they are very moisturizing. You could try an alum block as an astringent and a balm after for moisturizing. No alcohol involved.

Mahalo,
Happy New Year!!!

The lines of Captain's Choice and Ogallala have witch hazel in them. There are several with aloe. Even the drugstore Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva have propylene glycol which gives some moisturizing effects. Splashes do much more than just sterilize.

I prefer to use an AS exactly because they're alcohol based and drying - like the Hawaiian gent above, I have oily skin and the alcohol helps keep that at bay for a few hours post-shave. I used to use ASBs a lot, but they just clog up my pores and cause me terrible ingrowns and spots.

Whether you use a balm or a splash, it must contain something that disinfects the skin. Sanex ASB contains alum for that purpose. Many others contain alcohol.

My point is this: I see a lot of people critiquing alcohol-based aftershave splashes by commenting on the lack of moisturizing properties. However, we shouldn't really expect them to have significant moisturizing properties. It's like critiquing a moped for it's lack of cargo space.

I think it's more like critiquing a moped for offering little protection in the event of a crash. Whether or not a moped should be expected to be protective is beside the point. The fact is, you don't want to be on one when the cars around you start losing control, and it's not unfair to mopeds (or their manufacturers) to point that out. Likewise, those who advocate against alcohol-based aftershaves due to their drying potential are simply making an (allegedly) fact-based assertion: they are potentially drying, and those who value healthy skin might consider that when making a decision on what kind of product they want to use after shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom